Posted to alt.home.repair

Default looking for a squirrel cage blower

I'm looking for a CHEAP squirrel cage type blower. When I didn't need
one it seems they were everywhere in all my surplus catalogs, now no
cheap ones to be found. Wish I could give a size and CFM but I don't
know exactly, it's a hit and miss operation for a home made waste oil
heater. I'm guessing from seeing others that it's about 250 to 400 CFM.
A little over sized so I can adjust the air sort of like a normal oil
heater. I know this isn't much to go on, but maybe some of you have
different surplus catalogs with blowers? Appreciate all leads.
Posted to alt.home.repair

400 CFM sounds like you'd want something off a furnace.
Might be a bit larger than you need. I've bought stuff from
American Science and Surplus, and been pleased with them.
http://www.sciplus.com/category.cfm/subsection/18

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Tony" wrote in message
I'm looking for a CHEAP squirrel cage type blower. When I
didn't need
one it seems they were everywhere in all my surplus
catalogs, now no
cheap ones to be found. Wish I could give a size and CFM
but I don't
know exactly, it's a hit and miss operation for a home made
waste oil
heater. I'm guessing from seeing others that it's about 250
to 400 CFM.
A little over sized so I can adjust the air sort of like a
normal oil
heater. I know this isn't much to go on, but maybe some of
you have
different surplus catalogs with blowers? Appreciate all
leads.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
400 CFM sounds like you'd want something off a furnace.
Might be a bit larger than you need. I've bought stuff from
American Science and Surplus, and been pleased with them.
http://www.sciplus.com/category.cfm/subsection/18

Somehow I changed 200 into 400 walking from the kitchen to the pc. I
was looking at my oven hood exhaust fan label, not that it's a squirrel
cage just for the CFM. It's 200 CFM and I think that would be plenty
for my project. Better a little oversized then I can add a motor speed
controller to fine tune it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony wrote:
I'm looking for a CHEAP squirrel cage type blower. When I didn't need
one it seems they were everywhere in all my surplus catalogs, now no
cheap ones to be found. Wish I could give a size and CFM but I don't
know exactly, it's a hit and miss operation for a home made waste oil
heater. I'm guessing from seeing others that it's about 250 to 400 CFM.
A little over sized so I can adjust the air sort of like a normal oil
heater. I know this isn't much to go on, but maybe some of you have
different surplus catalogs with blowers? Appreciate all leads.

Oops....... I think 200 CFM would be plenty, and maybe have extra so I
can fine tune it with a motor speed controller.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony wrote:
I'm looking for a CHEAP squirrel cage type blower.

I'm guessing what you actually want is a tangential fan/blower with an
squirrel cage motor (a step up from a shaded pole motor).

The term "squirrel cage" refers to the type of rotor used in an induction
motor, as shown in the following diagram:
http://hsc.csu.edu.au/physics/core/m...ctionmotor.gif

If you are looking for a CHEAP version, many (older) microwaves used a
tangential fan to cool the transformer and tube, and you can often get the
ovens for free or nearly free if they are broken/too large/too old.

This picture shows a typical uwave blower of that type:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/103/3...a05d5cb06e.jpg

Note: if you do acquire an old uwave with the intention of taking it apart,
be DAMNED SURE you discharge the internal capacitor, as it can store a
lethal 2400 VDC charge. For more on safely disassembling a uwave, go he
http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/micfaq.htm

Good luck, and please keep us up to date on your progress.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jon Danniken wrote:
Tony wrote:
[...]

Well I learned something new today! I always thought the tangential fan
was the squirrel cage. I'm guessing a lot of people have that wrong (I
hope I'm not the only one). But I have to know, what is that thing in
the picture? Sort of looks like part of what I hope to build.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony wrote:

Well I learned something new today! I always thought the tangential
fan was the squirrel cage. I'm guessing a lot of people have that
wrong (I hope I'm not the only one). But I have to know, what is
that thing in the picture? Sort of looks like part of what I hope to
build.

Yes, it is not only a common mistake, it seems to be so common as to nearly
warrant calling such a fan by it's mistaken name.

As to the picture, I don't know what it is, I found it by doing a GIS for
"microwave blower." The actual album can be seen he
http://www.flickr.com/photos/5663514...7594401765387/

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 10, 9:17*am, Tony wrote:
I'm looking for a CHEAP squirrel cage type blower. *When I didn't need
one it seems they were everywhere in all my surplus catalogs, now no
cheap ones to be found. *Wish I could give a size and CFM but I don't
know exactly, it's a hit and miss operation for a home made waste oil
heater. *I'm guessing from seeing others that it's about 250 to 400 CFM..
* A little over sized so I can adjust the air sort of like a normal oil
heater. *I know this isn't much to go on, but maybe some of you have
different surplus catalogs with blowers? *Appreciate all leads.

My heater guy always has junk units in back, for a few bucks you
should be able to get one/
Posted to alt.home.repair

No worries. Obama changed the health care plan from 1
trillion to 5 trillion by walking from the Congress to the
White House.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Tony" wrote in message
Stormin Mormon wrote:
400 CFM sounds like you'd want something off a furnace.
Might be a bit larger than you need. I've bought stuff
from
American Science and Surplus, and been pleased with them.
http://www.sciplus.com/category.cfm/subsection/18

Somehow I changed 200 into 400 walking from the kitchen to
the pc. I
was looking at my oven hood exhaust fan label, not that it's
a squirrel
cage just for the CFM. It's 200 CFM and I think that would
be plenty
for my project. Better a little oversized then I can add a
motor speed
controller to fine tune it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 13:08:16 -0500, Tony
wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:
400 CFM sounds like you'd want something off a furnace.
Might be a bit larger than you need. I've bought stuff from
American Science and Surplus, and been pleased with them.
http://www.sciplus.com/category.cfm/subsection/18

Somehow I changed 200 into 400 walking from the kitchen to the pc. I
was looking at my oven hood exhaust fan label, not that it's a squirrel
cage just for the CFM. It's 200 CFM and I think that would be plenty
for my project. Better a little oversized then I can add a motor speed
controller to fine tune it.

Check around the scrappies or HVAC guys for a blower from a forced
vent furnace or water heater. Should be close in size.
Maby use 2, with one adjustable??

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 11:11:40 -0800, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:

Tony wrote:
[...]

No, squirrel cage is the common name for the blower assembly itself.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 15:08:38 -0500, Tony
wrote:

Jon Danniken wrote:
Tony wrote:
[...]

A "squirrel cage blower" can be operated by ANY kind of motor, or even
a bicycle chain and pedals.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm looking for a CHEAP squirrel cage type blower.

I ordered mine from the Northern Tool catalog

Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

Tony wrote:
I'm looking for a CHEAP squirrel cage type blower. When I didn't need
one it seems they were everywhere in all my surplus catalogs, now no
cheap ones to be found. Wish I could give a size and CFM but I don't
know exactly, it's a hit and miss operation for a home made waste oil
heater. I'm guessing from seeing others that it's about 250 to 400 CFM.
A little over sized so I can adjust the air sort of like a normal oil
heater. I know this isn't much to go on, but maybe some of you have
different surplus catalogs with blowers? Appreciate all leads.

How CHEAP? There's the Blue Blower which is around $80.

There's a lot of surplus squirrel cage blowers but most are around 25-30
cfm, and were used for cooling electronic equipment.

Look at eBay and search for FASCO MOTOR BLOWER A071, but it's smaller
than you're looking for if your guess about CFM is correct.

Also "http://skycraftsurplus.com/12to24vdcfan-squirrelcageblower.aspx"
but I guess that's too small.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I was in a Harbor freight, today, and saw a dust collector.
Which is essentially a blower. I'm not sure the CFM,
probably too much. Worth a look.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Tony wrote:
I'm looking for a CHEAP squirrel cage type blower. When I
didn't need
one it seems they were everywhere in all my surplus
catalogs, now no
cheap ones to be found. Wish I could give a size and CFM
but I don't
know exactly, it's a hit and miss operation for a home
made waste oil
heater. I'm guessing from seeing others that it's about
250 to 400 CFM.
A little over sized so I can adjust the air sort of like
a normal oil
heater. I know this isn't much to go on, but maybe some
of you have
different surplus catalogs with blowers? Appreciate all
leads.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"SMS" wrote in message
Tony wrote:
I'm looking for a CHEAP squirrel cage type blower.

I have seen some killer ones at local thrift shops. A few bucks. Try
freecycle.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-03-18, Steve B wrote:

"SMS" wrote in message
Tony wrote:
I'm looking for a CHEAP squirrel cage type blower.

I have seen some killer ones at local thrift shops. A few bucks. Try
freecycle.

Graingers has some for $50-60. If that's not cheap enough, hack a
hair drier.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-03-18, Steve B wrote:

"SMS" wrote in message
Tony wrote:
I'm looking for a CHEAP squirrel cage type blower.

I have seen some killer ones at local thrift shops. A few bucks. Try
freecycle.

Graingers has some for $50-60. If that's not cheap enough, hack a
hair drier.

nb

That's where I bought mine, its a 1/4 HP, 2 speed. Built a downdraft
roll-around cabinet table that uses three furnace filters. The slower
speed is very quiet with a strong pull.

Try discarded appliances, auto junkyard, furnace parts, etc depending
on your application.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 10:32:16 -0700, SMS
wrote:

Tony wrote:
[...]

Go to any local heating company. They replace furnaces all the time.
Most of the blowers are still good, and they are probably happy to get
a few bucks to get rid of one.

I needed a few of them last summer when we had an extreme heat spell,
and my livestock were suffering in the barn. Commercial barn fans are
expensive, I got 3 used squirrel cage fans from old furnaces, at a
local heating company, for $10 each. They work just as well as
commercial fans, but I always encase them in hardware cloth, just so
none of my cats get chopped up, or a neighbors kid comes around.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Similar to the blowers they use for drying carpet, or in
public bathrooms to help keep the floor dry. But, your usage
was far more frugal, and used less manufacturing resources.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus