Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Range Hood Squirrel Cage Fan Blade Orientation

I disassembled my microwave oven/range hood fan for cleaning.

When I took the two squirrel cage blade assemblies off the motor shafts, I
forgot to note the direction of the fan blades. Rotation direction is not
marked on the blades. They can be reinstalled either forward curved or
backward curved.

Wikipedia has centrifugal fan article with an illustration of what I am
talking about:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centrifugal_fan

Scroll down and look at Figure 3. I think my fan should be like Ža¡,
forward curved, but I am not sure.

Anybody have a second opinion?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 18, 6:44 pm, Quinhagak wrote:
I disassembled my microwave oven/range hood fan for cleaning.

When I took the two squirrel cage blade assemblies off the motor shafts, I
forgot to note the direction of the fan blades. Rotation direction is not
marked on the blades. They can be reinstalled either forward curved or
backward curved.

Wikipedia has centrifugal fan article with an illustration of what I am
talking about:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centrifugal_fan

Scroll down and look at Figure 3. I think my fan should be like Ža¡,
forward curved, but I am not sure.

Anybody have a second opinion?

Go with the forward curved, most consumer products
with the exception of cheap bathroom exhaust fans
use the forward curved blades in their squirrel cage
blowers.

[8~{} Uncle Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

Quinhagak wrote:

I disassembled my microwave oven/range hood fan for cleaning.

When I took the two squirrel cage blade assemblies off the motor shafts, I
forgot to note the direction of the fan blades. Rotation direction is not
marked on the blades. They can be reinstalled either forward curved or
backward curved.

Wikipedia has centrifugal fan article with an illustration of what I am
talking about:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centrifugal_fan

Scroll down and look at Figure 3. I think my fan should be like Ža¡,
forward curved, but I am not sure.

Anybody have a second opinion?

I have a basic (not sure of the model) Nutone range hood with two
squirrel cages. I just checked it and it's fan blades are backward
curved, as described in that Wikipedia article.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 18, 7:44 pm, Quinhagak wrote:
I disassembled my microwave oven/range hood fan for cleaning.

When I took the two squirrel cage blade assemblies off the motor shafts, I
forgot to note the direction of the fan blades. Rotation direction is not
marked on the blades. They can be reinstalled either forward curved or
backward curved.

Wikipedia has centrifugal fan article with an illustration of what I am
talking about:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centrifugal_fan

Scroll down and look at Figure 3. I think my fan should be like Ža¡,
forward curved, but I am not sure.

Anybody have a second opinion?

I don't know what model you have but most manufacturer's have the
installation manual online for the correct orientation of the fan.
Here's the one from GE for example. All other manufacturers should be
similiar.
http://products.geappliances.com/App.../r09010v-1.pdf