Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Replacing squirrel cage fan

I have an old 1959 bathroom fan that doesn't work anymore. In fact it
didn't work since before I owned the house. I'd like to replace it, but I
notice that the hole for it is circular and the fan vents into the attic so
far as I can tell.

So if I slice this puppy out, am I looking at enlarging the hole and making
it square, as well as installing vent to the outside world? Or are there
fans out there that will fit the hole? It's a 10" hole right now.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Eigenvector" wrote in
:

I have an old 1959 bathroom fan that doesn't work anymore. In fact it
didn't work since before I owned the house. I'd like to replace it,
but I notice that the hole for it is circular and the fan vents into
the attic so far as I can tell.

So if I slice this puppy out, am I looking at enlarging the hole and
making it square, as well as installing vent to the outside world? Or
are there fans out there that will fit the hole? It's a 10" hole
right now.

Is it drywall? Is it textured?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Al Bundy" wrote in message
"Eigenvector" wrote in
:

I have an old 1959 bathroom fan that doesn't work anymore. In fact it
didn't work since before I owned the house. I'd like to replace it,
but I notice that the hole for it is circular and the fan vents into
the attic so far as I can tell.

So if I slice this puppy out, am I looking at enlarging the hole and
making it square, as well as installing vent to the outside world? Or
are there fans out there that will fit the hole? It's a 10" hole
right now.

Is it drywall? Is it textured?

Just painted drywall.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Eigenvector" wrote in
:

"Al Bundy" wrote in message
"Eigenvector" wrote in
:

I have an old 1959 bathroom fan that doesn't work anymore. In fact
it didn't work since before I owned the house. I'd like to replace
it, but I notice that the hole for it is circular and the fan vents
into the attic so far as I can tell.

So if I slice this puppy out, am I looking at enlarging the hole and
making it square, as well as installing vent to the outside world?
Or are there fans out there that will fit the hole? It's a 10" hole
right now.

Is it drywall? Is it textured?

Just painted drywall.

Well at least you can patch & paint the ceiling at worst.

I put in a small bath fan and the square housing hole was like 7 x/x"
square. Maybe for the larger (more cfm) ones it's larger. Maybe just a
more powerful motor.

There's: "Download Ventilation Fan Catalog (.pdf)" from NuTone at
http://www.nutone.com/product-catego...egoryID=200159

Probably has the hole spec for them. Just a guess though.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Eigenvector wrote:
I have an old 1959 bathroom fan that doesn't work anymore. In fact it
didn't work since before I owned the house. I'd like to replace it,
but I notice that the hole for it is circular and the fan vents into
the attic so far as I can tell.

So if I slice this puppy out, am I looking at enlarging the hole and
making it square, as well as installing vent to the outside world? Or are
there fans out there that will fit the hole? It's a 10" hole
right now.

I would plan on the larger hole and larger vent piping. Small vents =
loud vents. Look around for a nice quiet vent fan and go from there. They
will tend to cost more, but they will be a lot easier to live with and
usually last longer.

BTW good catch on the venting to the attic. That is a good way of
causing some expensive damage if you don't vent it to the outside.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
Eigenvector wrote:
[...]

I found a reasonable site for those kinds of things. I've never used the
I-net for ordering home repair stuff, so I'm not sure what I'll get. But
for a decent one it looks like I'll have to drop about 150 to $200.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Eigenvector wrote:
[...]

That is about right.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Replacing squirrel cage fan Eigienrevectored

Eigenvector posted for all of us...

I found a reasonable site for those kinds of things. I've never used the
I-net for ordering home repair stuff, so I'm not sure what I'll get.

Or for research either.
--
Tekkie "There's no such thing as a tool I don't need."