Posted to alt.home.repair
Al Bundy Al Bundy is offline

Default Replacing squirrel cage fan

"Eigenvector" wrote in
:

"Al Bundy" wrote in message
"Eigenvector" wrote in
:

I have an old 1959 bathroom fan that doesn't work anymore. In fact
it didn't work since before I owned the house. I'd like to replace
it, but I notice that the hole for it is circular and the fan vents
into the attic so far as I can tell.

So if I slice this puppy out, am I looking at enlarging the hole and
making it square, as well as installing vent to the outside world?
Or are there fans out there that will fit the hole? It's a 10" hole
right now.

Is it drywall? Is it textured?

Just painted drywall.

Well at least you can patch & paint the ceiling at worst.

I put in a small bath fan and the square housing hole was like 7 x/x"
square. Maybe for the larger (more cfm) ones it's larger. Maybe just a
more powerful motor.

There's: "Download Ventilation Fan Catalog (.pdf)" from NuTone at
http://www.nutone.com/product-catego...egoryID=200159

Probably has the hole spec for them. Just a guess though.