Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Dave

Default advice on replacing roof shingles ?

This spring I intend on replacing roof shingles, any advice on getting
estimates from contractors
or the best type of shingle? It's a 40 year old ranch style house with
two layers of "3 tab asphalt" shingles and the top layer needs replacing but
I'm not sure of the different grades or warranties. I have heard it's best
to completely tear off the old layers and replace with 25 year
"Architectural" grade.
thanks

ameijers

"Dave" wrote in message
news:1112963068.e9a95012dc1f99cc2437486ddc768de8@t eranews...
This spring I intend on replacing roof shingles, any advice on getting
estimates from contractors
or the best type of shingle? It's a 40 year old ranch style house with
two layers of "3 tab asphalt" shingles and the top layer needs replacing

but
I'm not sure of the different grades or warranties. I have heard it's

best
to completely tear off the old layers and replace with 25 year
"Architectural" grade.
thanks

1. Yes, full tear-off. After 40 years, you need them to eyeball and 'thump'
the deck boards looking for mushy spots. No reputable roofer would only tear
off top layer anyway, since bottom layer may or may not come with it, and it
wouldn't be any less work. May as well inspect and probably change out the
flashing and drip edge as well- it's cheap, and a bare deck is the best way
to install the stuff.

2. Real good time to look at attic vents, and upgrade if needed. Many people
switch from hi-hat or turbo to ridge vents, and add soffit vents if needed.

3. I wouln't pay the extra for the fancy shingles unless you really like the
look, or lots of your neighbors have them. But that is just my opinion,
YMMV. The slightly longer lifespan is almost irrelevant, unless this is your
'forever' house, and you are young enough to still be around. The price
difference will not pay back at resale, IMHO.

For further info, Google this group, as well as 'alt.home.repair', for 'roof
replacements', 'shingles', or 'tear-off'. Roofing is a regular topic around
here, and actual experts have explained all the above in much better detail
than my 5-ocloock Friday mind can remember at the moment.

aem sends....

John/Charleston

On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 22:12:50 GMT, "ameijers"
wrote:

"Dave" wrote in message
[...]

Good advice generally though I disagree that the price difference of
the architectural shingles won't pay back at resale. I think most
people like the look better and it gives a sense of "quality" to the
house that makes a difference. I don't think the price dif is that
much on an average sized house. (few hundred bucks?)
That of course is only my opinion too!

Cost effectiveness wise....dollar per years worth of shingle life, I
think the standard 3-tabs are the best bet. Definitely tear off the
roof to the decking and most of the time flashings should be replaced.
Drip edge is important unless maybe if you have aluminum fascia.

Dave

"John/Charleston" wrote in message
On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 22:12:50 GMT, "ameijers"
wrote:

"Dave" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for all the advice, I guess the next step is to find a good honest
roofing company in my area -- which is probably more difficult than
choosing shingle grades or "tear-offs"!