Posted to alt.home.repair

Default furnace squirrel cage only turns if I use hand

My furnace fires up but the blower has stopped coming on (it's a Bryant
330AAV upflow). I can barely spin the squirrel cage with my hand, and
it will not spin on it's own after I pull my hand out. It makes a low
hmmm sound, but just doesn't start turning, then the gas shuts off.
I'm assuming I need a repair person to replace the blower, but I'd
appreciate any comments if there are other things I should consider.
Please give any advice on what else to check. Thanks, Mike

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
My furnace fires up but the blower has stopped coming on (it's a Bryant
330AAV upflow). I can barely spin the squirrel cage with my hand, and
it will not spin on it's own after I pull my hand out. It makes a low
hmmm sound, but just doesn't start turning, then the gas shuts off.
I'm assuming I need a repair person to replace the blower, but I'd
appreciate any comments if there are other things I should consider.
Please give any advice on what else to check. Thanks, Mike

When was it lubricated last? I'm not familiar with that model, but it is
99% sure one of two things. Bad bearings in the motor, or bad bearings on
the blower shaft if it has a belt drive. Hell, if it has never been
serviced it could be both.

Very slim chance, but it is possible something got sucked in and wrapped
around the shaft causing it to turn hard.

The gas shuts off because the heat exchanger reaches the high limit set
point. That is a safety feature.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've never lubed it, in fact, I can't find a lube bolt, so I'm assuming
it is self lubricating. However, I am a novice so I'm not sure. I
think you're right though and the bearings are probably shot, so I'm
probably looking at having a new blower put in. Thanks for your
response.

Posted to alt.home.repair

It might have a internal cintrifugal starter switch inside
the motor, simple to replace, or a capacitor on the outside
that needs to be replaced.

wrote in message
oups.com...
My furnace fires up but the blower has stopped coming on (it's a Bryant
330AAV upflow). I can barely spin the squirrel cage with my hand, and
it will not spin on it's own after I pull my hand out. It makes a low
hmmm sound, but just doesn't start turning, then the gas shuts off.
I'm assuming I need a repair person to replace the blower, but I'd
appreciate any comments if there are other things I should consider.
Please give any advice on what else to check. Thanks, Mike

Posted to alt.home.repair

went through this on an exhaust fan recently... flip the switch and it
just hums. I was about to replace it, when I pulled it out and looked
at it... it was dusty as all hell. Blew off the dust and hit it with
a coat of CLP (that's the firearm version of WD-40 and it won't rust,
and it's better... get it at walmart in the gun section for about $4 a
can)

Anyhow, my fireplace blower had a similar problem... no matter how much
lube I put on it, it still requires a little assistance to get moving
every now and again.

Long story short... lube it. What's the worst thing that can happen,
that you break it?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Small chance it's a bad run capacitor. But, it's also very likely
to be a bad motor. Call a furnace repair company before you get
any colder.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.