Posted to alt.home.repair

Default furnace squirrel cage only turns if I use hand

wrote in message
oups.com...
My furnace fires up but the blower has stopped coming on (it's a Bryant
330AAV upflow). I can barely spin the squirrel cage with my hand, and
it will not spin on it's own after I pull my hand out. It makes a low
hmmm sound, but just doesn't start turning, then the gas shuts off.
I'm assuming I need a repair person to replace the blower, but I'd
appreciate any comments if there are other things I should consider.
Please give any advice on what else to check. Thanks, Mike

When was it lubricated last? I'm not familiar with that model, but it is
99% sure one of two things. Bad bearings in the motor, or bad bearings on
the blower shaft if it has a belt drive. Hell, if it has never been
serviced it could be both.

Very slim chance, but it is possible something got sucked in and wrapped
around the shaft causing it to turn hard.

The gas shuts off because the heat exchanger reaches the high limit set
point. That is a safety feature.