Burhans

Default Furnace never turns off

All,
The Furnace is located in the crawlspace (Rudd from 1988). It seems in
the winter when I have the heat on the furnace will work fine. When the heat
light on the thermostat turns off the fan continues to run. The Fan switch
on the thermostat is set to Auto. It will stay on for an average of two to
four hours or longer. I would like the the fan to only stay on for five
minutes then turn off. I do not want to waste so much electric running the
fan.

Thanks

Dr. Hardcrab

"Burhans" wrote in message
All,
The Furnace is located in the crawlspace (Rudd from 1988). It seems in
the winter when I have the heat on the furnace will work fine. When the
heat light on the thermostat turns off the fan continues to run. The Fan
switch on the thermostat is set to Auto. It will stay on for an average of
two to four hours or longer. I would like the the fan to only stay on for
five minutes then turn off. I do not want to waste so much electric
running the fan.

You really aren't using that much electricity by running the fan all the
time, but it sounds like you have one of the Ruuds that had a fan timer on
it (brings the fan on and off on a set time instead of being controlled by a
fan limit switch). I have had several of those "stick" on before. Not sure
if you can still order those or not......

HVAC fella

'All,
=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0The Furnace is located in the crawlspace (Rudd
from 1988). It seems in the winter when I have the heat on the furnace
will work fine. When the heat light on the thermostat turns off the fan
continues to run. The Fan switch on the thermostat is set to Auto. It
will stay on for an average of two to four hours or longer. I would like
the the fan to only stay on for five minutes then turn off. I do not
want to waste so much electric running the fan.
Thanks'

ME: If your furnace has a Fan /Limit combo control on it, then, the
fan portion of the control needs adjusting ; over time, they drift out
of adjustment. Moving the adjustable levers inside the control will
change when the furnace shuts off after the heating cycle. Move the
'off' lever to a higher temp setting on the control . If that doesnt
work better for you, then replacement is necessary.

HeatMan

"HVAC fella" wrote in message
[...]

Hey, Prevert, I've never seen the Fan/Limit 'drift.'

HVAC fella

'Hey, Prevert, I've never seen the Fan/Limit 'drift.''

ME: Doesnt surprise me . They do. Next time....check the fan/limit
when you clean a furnace.

HeatMan

"HVAC fella" wrote in message
'Hey, Prevert, I've never seen the Fan/Limit 'drift.''

ME: Doesnt surprise me . They do. Next time....check the fan/limit
when you clean a furnace.

I always check the Fan/Limit, providing it's not a control board. It's part
of the service routine.

The only way they move is someone adjusts it.