Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Automatic outside light.

I have an outside light on automatic. Supposed to be light sensing.
Everyone in The Villages has one.
My question is..
Why is my light the last to go off in the morning?
How hard (and expensive) to replace the sensor?
Probably dates to 1990.

TIA

Lou
Posted to alt.home.repair

LouB wrote the following:
I have an outside light on automatic. Supposed to be light sensing.
Everyone in The Villages has one.
My question is..
Why is my light the last to go off in the morning?
How hard (and expensive) to replace the sensor?
Probably dates to 1990.

TIA

Lou

One reason could be that your light and sensor is in a darker place than
the others, such as under an eave or porch roof.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 9, 8:03*am, LouB wrote:
I have an outside light on automatic. *Supposed to be light sensing.
Everyone in The Villages has one.
My question is..
Why is my light the last to go off in the morning?

Probably because either the sensor is located somewhere so it gets hit
with less sunlight, the sensor is dirty, or the sensor actually
requires more light to activate it.

How hard (and expensive) to replace the sensor?
Probably dates to 1990.

That would be determined by whether the sensor is replaceable without
replacing the fixture, what kind of fixture it is, where it's located,
and who does the work. It could be anything from a $20 fixture that
you can reach with a stool and do yourself, to a light on top of a
pole that requires a bucket truck.

TIA

Lou

Posted to alt.home.repair

Clot wrote:
LouB wrote:
wrote:
On Mar 9, 8:03 am, LouB wrote:
I have an outside light on automatic. Supposed to be light
sensing. Everyone in The Villages has one.
My question is..
Why is my light the last to go off in the morning?

Probably because either the sensor is located somewhere so it gets
hit with less sunlight, the sensor is dirty, or the sensor actually
requires more light to activate it.

How hard (and expensive) to replace the sensor?
Probably dates to 1990.

That would be determined by whether the sensor is replaceable
without replacing the fixture, what kind of fixture it is, where
it's located, and who does the work. It could be anything from a
$20 fixture that you can reach with a stool and do yourself, to a
light on top of a pole that requires a bucket truck.

TIA

Lou

Thanks

Well sensor faces due west, but is easy to get at.

Unscrewed plastic outer nut. No visable way to replace sensor
without taking off whole the whole fixture so I think I will stop
wondering:-))

The fact that it faces west could be your answer. What direction do
others face in the locality. Does yours come on before others?

If you altered, it might start later and go off earlier.

Teach me to talk to the wife whilst I replied!

With it in the direction it is now yours could come on later than others if
theirs are facing in another direction and that yours goes off later as a
result of the sensor receiving sufficient light later than others!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 9, 9:08*am, wrote:
On Tue, 09 Mar 2010 08:46:54 -0500, LouB wrote:
Well sensor faces due west, but is easy to get at.

The sun comes up in the east. If you can't rotate the fixture 180
degrees you could try making a small reflector to get the sun pointing
at the sensor. I doubt a new one will fix anything.
Test it with a small piece of aluminum foil. These usually take a few
minutes to respond so just set it up and wait to see how it does the
next morning.
If that works, use a small mirror or other shiny metal, maybe a chrome
doodad from the auto parts store.

"use a small mirror or other shiny metal"

I can see the News reports now...

"Police are baffled at the increase in the number of early morning
automobile accidents in The Villages.

Drivers are claiming that they were blinded by a bright light as they
drove west in The Villages towards a home owned by long time resident
LouB. One driver, an epileptic, claims the light caused her to have a
seizure and she lost control of her vehicle.

Town Officials (and some local scientists) have been investigating the
issue, trying to determine the source of the alleged "blinding
light".

In an interview Monday night, Professor Moriarty, Dean of Optics at
the nearby State University said “It’s almost as if someone has
mounted a mirror on a lamp post.”
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Mar 9, 9:08 am, wrote:
[...]

ROTFLMAO!!

Luckily I live on a cul-de-sac so I may try the suggestion.

Thanks to both of you:-))

Lou
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

On Tue, 09 Mar 2010 08:46:54 -0500, LouB wrote:

Well sensor faces due west, but is easy to get at.

The sun comes up in the east. If you can't rotate the fixture 180
degrees you could try making a small reflector to get the sun pointing
at the sensor. I doubt a new one will fix anything.
Test it with a small piece of aluminum foil. These usually take a few
minutes to respond so just set it up and wait to see how it does the
next morning.
If that works, use a small mirror or other shiny metal, maybe a chrome
doodad from the auto parts store.

We gave up on light-sensor porch lights and put in an Internatic digital
timer that replaced the light switch inside. It's self-adjusting for the
time of year, i.e. it comes on earlier in the winter. Apparently early
versions of this product were buggy but ours is a later model and has worked
flawlessly.

http://www.intermatic.com/products/t...ers/st01c.aspx

Posted to alt.home.repair

LouB wrote:
I have an outside light on automatic. Supposed to be light sensing.
Everyone in The Villages has one.
My question is..
Why is my light the last to go off in the morning?
How hard (and expensive) to replace the sensor?
Probably dates to 1990.

TIA

Lou

Hmm,
No sensitivity adjustment for light sensor?
Ours have sensitivity and time delay adjustment which are very handy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 9, 3:00*pm, "DGDevin" wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

http://www.intermatic.com/products/t...door%20timers/...

That unit looks pretty big.

Do you know if it will fit in a double switch box alongside a standard
toggle switch?

I have 2 toggle switches near my front door, one for the porch light
and one for the garage light over the driveway.

I wouldn't mind a timer like that for the garage light.

Does it use a GFCI style switch plate?