Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Automatic outside light.

On Mar 9, 3:00*pm, "DGDevin" wrote:
wrote in message

On Tue, 09 Mar 2010 08:46:54 -0500, LouB wrote:

Well sensor faces due west, but is easy to get at.

The sun comes up in the east. If you can't rotate the fixture 180
degrees you could try making a small reflector to get the sun pointing
at the sensor. I doubt a new one will fix anything.
Test it with a small piece of aluminum foil. These usually take a few
minutes to respond so just set it up and wait to see how it does the
next morning.
If that works, use a small mirror or other shiny metal, maybe a chrome
doodad from the auto parts store.

We gave up on light-sensor porch lights and put in an Internatic digital
timer that replaced the light switch inside. *It's self-adjusting for the
time of year, i.e. it comes on earlier in the winter. *Apparently early
versions of this product were buggy but ours is a later model and has worked
flawlessly.

http://www.intermatic.com/products/t...door%20timers/...

That unit looks pretty big.

Do you know if it will fit in a double switch box alongside a standard
toggle switch?

I have 2 toggle switches near my front door, one for the porch light
and one for the garage light over the driveway.

I wouldn't mind a timer like that for the garage light.

Does it use a GFCI style switch plate?