Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Portable Dehumidifier Recommendation needed

Looking for a recommendation for a quiet portable dehumidified. Had a
Sears unit which was noisy and failed early. Currently have a quieter
Frigidaire unit (30 pints?), but after a few years the compressor quit.
Anyone have first hand experience with anything better?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/7/2010 6:07 PM Pointer spake thus:

Looking for a recommendation for a quiet portable dehumidified. Had a
Sears unit which was noisy and failed early. Currently have a quieter
Frigidaire unit (30 pints?), but after a few years the compressor quit.
Anyone have first hand experience with anything better?

Have no suggestions for which units are better, but having seen one in
operation at a client's house (don't know which one, sorry), I do have
one recommendation: get one that has an automatic shutoff.

I found it incredible that the unit my client has kept on going even
though the tank was not only full, but overflowing.

Seems like all it would take would be a float or some kind of sensor to
avoid this.

- a Usenet "apology"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 7, 8:07*pm, Pointer wrote:
Looking for a recommendation for a quiet portable dehumidified. *Had a
Sears unit which was noisy and failed early. *Currently have a quieter
Frigidaire unit (30 pints?), but after a few years the compressor quit.
* Anyone have first hand experience with anything better?

Years ago I got a sears, the following year annother sears, it broke
right away and the replacement wasnt as good as the previous years
model, bigger and noisier. Last year I got one from HD, it didnt put
out even 50% of the rating so I returned it. It seems with china
making them models are never the same year to year in quality. If I
had to buy one now id be lost, I would get an energy star model from
the place with the best return policy. The only one I like is the
oldest sears I bought. CR rates them for efficency and noise, but
quality seems to be a crapshoot.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Every dehum I've seen has had a float in the back. Perhaps
the person's catch tank in the back wasn't quite installed
right.

My advice would have been to either put the dehum on a
couple boards over the sump pump or laundry sink. Or use the
drain hose option. It's a chore to keep emptying the catch
bin in the back when you can set up a dehum to drain into a
sink or sump pump, and not have to tend it every day.

As to quality brand, I don't have any advice.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...

Have no suggestions for which units are better, but having
seen one in
operation at a client's house (don't know which one, sorry),
I do have
one recommendation: get one that has an automatic shutoff.

I found it incredible that the unit my client has kept on
going even
though the tank was not only full, but overflowing.

Seems like all it would take would be a float or some kind
of sensor to
avoid this.

- a Usenet "apology"

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 8, 12:12*am, ransley wrote:
On Mar 7, 8:07*pm, Pointer wrote:

Looking for a recommendation for a quiet portable dehumidified. *Had a
Sears unit which was noisy and failed early. *Currently have a quieter
Frigidaire unit (30 pints?), but after a few years the compressor quit.
* Anyone have first hand experience with anything better?

Years ago I got a sears, the following year annother sears, it broke
right away and the replacement wasnt as good as the previous years
model, bigger and noisier. Last year I got one from HD, it didnt put
out even 50% of the rating so I returned it. It seems with china
making them models are never the same year to year in quality. If I
had to buy one now id be lost, I would get an energy star model from
the place with the best return policy. The only one I like is the
oldest sears I bought. CR rates them for efficency and noise, but
quality seems to be a crapshoot.

I had a Sears one that had it's first failure after 4 years. The
blower motor burned out. Found a new one for $35, so figured it was
worth fixing. That got me one more season of use. Now it's totally
unresponsive and it's not a fuse. Most likely it's the main control
board which has power, but isn't doing anything. I was going to do
some simple probing of the board, see if it's anything simple like a
power supply issue, etc. But it's about 95% that it's going in the
scrap heap this time.

Also, at least this Sears unit is made by LG, so I'd stear away from
them for sure.

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

.

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message

.com...

Have no suggestions for which units are better, but having
seen one in
operation at a client's house (don't know which one, sorry),
I do have
one recommendation: get one that has an automatic shutoff.

I found it incredible that the unit my client has kept on
going even
though the tank was not only full, but overflowing.

Seems like all it would take would be a float or some kind
of sensor to
avoid this.

- a Usenet "apology"

I think they're all disposable. It ****es me off to have to buy a
product that I know I will have to replace in 3-5 years but I have not
seen anything on the market that doesn't have lots of bad reviews,
unfortunately. I have a Frigidaire in my house and an LG in my
garage. The Frigidaire is quieter, FWIW. A problem that I have
noticed with the LG is that it is listed to operate down to about 40
degrees F but it will ice up if actually asked to operate in those
temperatures, I have to remember to turn it off when it starts to get
cool.

I use a hose feeding a condensate pump so I don't have to regularly
empty them; where I live the natural outdoor humidity is such that the
A/C alone can't bring the indoor humidity down to a comfortable level,
and they'll fill up in a couple of days if let run into the bucket.

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

I've had my "Sears" (I think) for fifteen years. The only thing I had to do
to it was stick a board under the "bucket" so it wouldn't switch off early.
Without the board the bucket will only fill half way.

I use a hose feeding a condensate pump so I don't have to regularly
empty them; where I live the natural outdoor humidity is such that the
A/C alone can't bring the indoor humidity down to a comfortable level,
and they'll fill up in a couple of days if let run into the bucket.

I never found a decent pump so emptied it every day (no drains in the
basement).
Posted to alt.home.repair

It's sad that they are all so poor quality.

You don't have a laundry sink or drain (even a french drain
that runs into the sump pump)? The condensate pump is one
more thing to break.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"N8N" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 3/7/2010 6:07 PM Pointer spake thus:

Looking for a recommendation for a quiet portable dehumidified. Had a
Sears unit which was noisy and failed early. Currently have a quieter
Frigidaire unit (30 pints?), but after a few years the compressor
quit. Anyone have first hand experience with anything better?

Have no suggestions for which units are better, but having seen one in
operation at a client's house (don't know which one, sorry), I do have
one recommendation: get one that has an automatic shutoff.

I found it incredible that the unit my client has kept on going even
though the tank was not only full, but overflowing.

Seems like all it would take would be a float or some kind of sensor to
avoid this.

All of mine have been auto shut off even though I run a drain line to
the shower.
Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?
fuseaction=find_a_product.showProductGroup&pgw_cod e=DE

I used the link above to research dehumidifiers. Look under energy factor
to find the spreadsheet of all units sold in the States. There is a wide
range in efficiency of these things.

Mine is a built-in unit - Santa Fe from Therma sTor - going on 4 years and
still working fine.

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

Don't have a sump pump, so I have the cond. pump pumping into the
laundry sink. In the garage I actually have not yet set up the pump,
but there is no floor drain. It's been working OK so far, the pump in
the basement has been operating for about a year, don't remember what
brand - Little Giant maybe? There's a Hartell one for the furnace as
well, and that one has been pumping away since before we bought the
house, no probs yet. (knock on wood)

nate

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 9 Mar 2010 07:01:30 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

It's sad that they are all so poor quality.

You don't have a laundry sink or drain (even a french drain
that runs into the sump pump)? The condensate pump is one
more thing to break.

I had no drains of any kind in the basement of my previous house. Didn't need
a sump pump since the floor was at or above street level.