Posted to alt.home.repair

Default dehumidifier recommendation

I need to purchase a new dehumidifier.
My old Sears one (at least 18 years old) just died.
I was going to buy a new Sears model, but the reviews (including user
reviews on the Sears website) are very bad. Whirlpools were not too
much better.
Soleus CFM-40 looks to have good reviews (as per epinions.com), can
anyone verify? One con, the fan runs continuously.
I'm not finding many good reviews (for any brand).
Consumer Reports has not tested dehumidifiers for several years.
Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

Sams Club has'em, $139, about 800 Watts.
Automatic shut off, about 2 gal bucket, which you can add a hose to, for
continuous drain.
Fan shuts off w/ unit (I think). Not quiet, but not that noisey.
Have 2, one for over a year, seems fine. Solid state.
GE, I think, but made in china, of course.
Friend got what seemed to be a nicer one from HD, forgot the brand.
Compressor won't start, about 1 year old.

It's amazing how much water these things collect on a humid day.

Consumer's Report is OK, but sometimes I wonder if those people just don't
need to get outside more, catch some sun....
Or get people who really USE the stuff, who will call a spade a spade,
instead of these hemming and hawing lab assholes.
Half the time I read that stuff, I have no idea what I've read. If I use
CR, I look at the summary, the best buy, and pray they're right.
Absolutely Vote, but NOT for a Democrat or a Republican.
Ending Corruption in Congress is the Single Best Way
to Materially Improve Your Family's Life.
all d'numbuhs
"Bill" wrote in message
I need to purchase a new dehumidifier.
My old Sears one (at least 18 years old) just died.
I was going to buy a new Sears model, but the reviews (including user
reviews on the Sears website) are very bad. Whirlpools were not too much
better.
Soleus CFM-40 looks to have good reviews (as per epinions.com), can anyone
verify? One con, the fan runs continuously.
I'm not finding many good reviews (for any brand).
Consumer Reports has not tested dehumidifiers for several years.
Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

I will strongly recommend that you start with the use you need it for.
Basement or other locations that may be cool need a model designed for those
locations. Many people (including myself before I found out) assume that a
dehumidifier will work in any normal location like a basement which is of
course a very common place for them. The problem is they will ice up.
There are some models designed for those locations, if you have such a
location be sure to buy one designed for it.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

"Bill" wrote in message
I need to purchase a new dehumidifier.
My old Sears one (at least 18 years old) just died.
I was going to buy a new Sears model, but the reviews (including user
reviews on the Sears website) are very bad. Whirlpools were not too much
better.
Soleus CFM-40 looks to have good reviews (as per epinions.com), can anyone
verify? One con, the fan runs continuously.
I'm not finding many good reviews (for any brand).
Consumer Reports has not tested dehumidifiers for several years.
Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Bill wrote:
I need to purchase a new dehumidifier.
My old Sears one (at least 18 years old) just died.
I was going to buy a new Sears model, but the reviews (including user
reviews on the Sears website) are very bad. Whirlpools were not too
much better.

I've had a couple of Whirlpool dehumidifiers for five years or so, and never a
problem with either of them. (Bought new)

Don't neglect the possibility of buying used equipment: I also have an Admiral
dehumidifier that I bought *used* at least fifteen years ago (no idea how old
it actually is) and it still works well, although it will need a new fan motor
sometime soon.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

I thought dehumidifiers were inherently designed *not* to ice up!
Otherwise, you'd be just as well off w/ a window A/C brought inside the
room!
Which I've tried, but guess what, it iced up in the cooler weather!
--
------
Absolutely Vote, but NOT for a Democrat or a Republican.
Ending Corruption in Congress is the *Single Best Way*
to Materially Improve Your Family's Life.
all d'numbuhs
.. .

"Bill" wrote in message
I need to purchase a new dehumidifier.
My old Sears one (at least 18 years old) just died.
I was going to buy a new Sears model, but the reviews (including user
reviews on the Sears website) are very bad. Whirlpools were not too
much better.
Soleus CFM-40 looks to have good reviews (as per epinions.com), can
anyone verify? One con, the fan runs continuously.
I'm not finding many good reviews (for any brand).
Consumer Reports has not tested dehumidifiers for several years.
Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote in
message ...
[...]

No they are not. Nor would most window A/C's be of much use as most
current models are designed to evaporate the condensation one the warm
condensing coils gaining efficiency and reducing or eliminating the dripping
from them.

For example I just checked Home Depot and they had two listed. The
first and most expensive indicated an operating temp range of 40 degree and
higher. The cheaper model indicated it was suitable for "living areas" with
no mention of operating temperatures. Guess which one is going to freeze
up?

--
Joseph E. Meehan

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
.. .
"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote
in message ...
I thought dehumidifiers were inherently designed *not* to ice up!
Otherwise, you'd be just as well off w/ a window A/C brought inside the
room!
Which I've tried, but guess what, it iced up in the cooler weather!
--
------
Absolutely Vote, but NOT for a Democrat or a Republican.
Ending Corruption in Congress is the *Single Best Way*
to Materially Improve Your Family's Life.
entropic3.14decay at optonline2.718 dot net; remove pi and e to
reply--ie, all d'numbuhs
[...]

Good idea, have seen it in the Amana portable A/C, but even tho condensed
water is pretty pure, over time I would expect crud/rust on the coils.
Yeah, sposedly it's all copper/alum, but I've seen real rusty condenser
fins--mebbe rust carried up from the frame/casing?
------
Absolutely Vote, but NOT for a Democrat or a Republican.
Ending Corruption in Congress is the *Single Best Way*
to Materially Improve Your Family's Life.
all d'numbuhs

For example I just checked Home Depot and they had two listed. The
first and most expensive indicated an operating temp range of 40 degree
and higher. The cheaper model indicated it was suitable for "living
areas" with no mention of operating temperatures. Guess which one is
going to freeze up?

--
Joseph E. Meehan

Posted to alt.home.repair

Joseph Meehan wrote:

... Nor would most window A/C's be of much use

Neon John's measurements say they are more efficient dehumidifiers than
dehumidifiers. Cheaper too. Perhaps their designs are more up-to-date.

Nick

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

I bought a Kenmore top of the line a few years ago. It breaks every year.
It has a five year sealed system warranty and so far that has taken care of
repairs but new ones have 1 year warranty making them worthless.

"Bill" wrote in message
I need to purchase a new dehumidifier.
My old Sears one (at least 18 years old) just died.
I was going to buy a new Sears model, but the reviews (including user
reviews on the Sears website) are very bad. Whirlpools were not too much
better.
Soleus CFM-40 looks to have good reviews (as per epinions.com), can anyone
verify? One con, the fan runs continuously.
I'm not finding many good reviews (for any brand).
Consumer Reports has not tested dehumidifiers for several years.
Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

Actually, a window A/C in the middle of a room w/ a drip pan would work just
fine. You could solve the icing problem by simply ducting some of the
exhaust air back to the cooling coil. Sort of a pita, but def'ly doable in
a basement situation.
--
------