Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Portable Dehumidifier Recommendation needed

On Mon, 8 Mar 2010 06:37:38 -0800 (PST), N8N wrote:

On Mar 8, 7:07*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Every dehum I've seen has had a float in the back. Perhaps
the person's catch tank in the back wasn't quite installed
right.

My advice would have been to either put the dehum on a
couple boards over the sump pump or laundry sink. Or use the
drain hose option. It's a chore to keep emptying the catch
bin in the back when you can set up a dehum to drain into a
sink or sump pump, and not have to tend it every day.

As to quality brand, I don't have any advice.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message

.com...

Have no suggestions for which units are better, but having
seen one in
operation at a client's house (don't know which one, sorry),
I do have
one recommendation: get one that has an automatic shutoff.

I found it incredible that the unit my client has kept on
going even
though the tank was not only full, but overflowing.

Seems like all it would take would be a float or some kind
of sensor to
avoid this.

- a Usenet "apology"

I think they're all disposable. It ****es me off to have to buy a
product that I know I will have to replace in 3-5 years but I have not
seen anything on the market that doesn't have lots of bad reviews,
unfortunately. I have a Frigidaire in my house and an LG in my
garage. The Frigidaire is quieter, FWIW. A problem that I have
noticed with the LG is that it is listed to operate down to about 40
degrees F but it will ice up if actually asked to operate in those
temperatures, I have to remember to turn it off when it starts to get
cool.

I've had my "Sears" (I think) for fifteen years. The only thing I had to do
to it was stick a board under the "bucket" so it wouldn't switch off early.
Without the board the bucket will only fill half way.

I use a hose feeding a condensate pump so I don't have to regularly
empty them; where I live the natural outdoor humidity is such that the
A/C alone can't bring the indoor humidity down to a comfortable level,
and they'll fill up in a couple of days if let run into the bucket.

I never found a decent pump so emptied it every day (no drains in the
basement).