Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Portable Dehumidifier Recommendation needed

On Mar 8, 12:12*am, ransley wrote:
On Mar 7, 8:07*pm, Pointer wrote:

Looking for a recommendation for a quiet portable dehumidified. *Had a
Sears unit which was noisy and failed early. *Currently have a quieter
Frigidaire unit (30 pints?), but after a few years the compressor quit.
* Anyone have first hand experience with anything better?

Years ago I got a sears, the following year annother sears, it broke
right away and the replacement wasnt as good as the previous years
model, bigger and noisier. Last year I got one from HD, it didnt put
out even 50% of the rating so I returned it. It seems with china
making them models are never the same year to year in quality. If I
had to buy one now id be lost, I would get an energy star model from
the place with the best return policy. The only one I like is the
oldest sears I bought. CR rates them for efficency and noise, but
quality seems to be a crapshoot.

I had a Sears one that had it's first failure after 4 years. The
blower motor burned out. Found a new one for $35, so figured it was
worth fixing. That got me one more season of use. Now it's totally
unresponsive and it's not a fuse. Most likely it's the main control
board which has power, but isn't doing anything. I was going to do
some simple probing of the board, see if it's anything simple like a
power supply issue, etc. But it's about 95% that it's going in the
scrap heap this time.

Also, at least this Sears unit is made by LG, so I'd stear away from
them for sure.