Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Question for HVAC gurus.

Hi guys. My wife and I are in the late planning stages of building
our new home. I want it to be as energy efficient as possible. We
are having a slight disagreement.

I want foam insualtion in walls and attic. She is ok with that. What
we disagree about is how to do the attic.

Her ex-husband is a HVAC contractor. He says we should use the " foam
the underside of the roof, seal the attic and semi condition it"
method. Our builder agrees.

My problem with that is, why would I want to semi condition an area
the same size as my house if I am never going to use it for anything?
I want to foam the attic floor, and make sure the attic is well
venitaled. Why is allowing my warm and cold air (that I am paying to
heat and cool) to migrate up into my attic a good idea? Isn't it more
efficient to keep that expensive air in the house by well insulating
the attic floor?

Can anyone give me advice on why my thoughts are wrong?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Alim Nassor wrote:
[...]

Are you going to use the attic for storage? Depending on where you
live and the local climate, anything you store in the attic could
be damaged by temperature extremes. I've seen some very large attics
that were an incredible waste of space, is yours one of those?

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 5, 7:17*pm, The Daring Dufas
wrote:
Alim Nassor wrote:
[...]

TDD- Hide quoted text -

Haven't planned on using it for storage. We will be building about 60
miles north of Dallas. That's why the though of semi conditioning
that space sure seems wasteful. And we get pretty dang cold in the
winter and I hate the thought of my warm air going through the ceiling
into an attic that isn't used for much.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 5, 2:20*am, Alim Nassor wrote:
[...]

You are right you will be heating the attic from migrating heat loss
up, the builder will be happy to agree since it will take more foam,
more foam means a bigger job, more money. If you are foaming
everything you are including a heat recovery ventilator for that tight
house.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 5, 7:43*pm, ransley wrote:
[...]

house.- Hide quoted text -

I hadn't explored the heat recovery ventilator. I'll need to research
thst.
Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Alim Nassor wrote:
[...]

Well insulated ceiling and temperature controlled ventilation for the
attic may be the way to go.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Alim Nassor wrote:
[...]

My thoughts too. Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 5, 5:49*am, Alim Nassor wrote:
On Mar 5, 7:43*pm, ransley wrote:

[...]

Thanks- Hide quoted text -

Then You AC pro aint no pro because a fomed house is like living in a
foam cooler, its doent breathe or have enough air exchanges per hour
to keep you healthy, google overtight houses that dont breathe, sick
house syndrome, do research now and maybe hire an architech because
several ideas you plan dont make sense, maybe alot more dont.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Alim Nassor wrote:
[...]

1. Foam the underside of the roof? If you do that, the shingles will melt.
Well, maybe not melt, but they will surely degrade rather quickly.

2. The almost unanimous advice, I'll bet, of the experts and knowledgeable
amateurs here is that you will rue the day you go against the wishes of the
lady of the house. Hereafter, EVERYTHING that goes wrong will be attributed
to your hair-brained decision on the attic. I'm talking stopped-up toilets,
mice in the pantry, windows that won't close, psoriasis, and the refusal of
the grocery clerk to take coupons for stuff your wife didn't buy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 5, 7:43*pm, ransley wrote:

[...]

several ideas you plan dont make sense, maybe alot more dont.- Hide quoted text -

It was just a casual conversation with my wifes ex about the house,
not a detailed planning session, he wont be the HVAC contractor. i'n
just getting ideas.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
Alim Nassor wrote:
[...]

Inneresting!
How bout regular bats (glass wool) of insulation?

Proly doesn't apply to slate.

Suggests making a kind of double roof, for air flow beneath the shingles!
Then the joist gap in the attic can be foamed.
--
EA

2. The almost unanimous advice, I'll bet, of the experts and knowledgeable
amateurs here is that you will rue the day you go against the wishes of
the lady of the house. Hereafter, EVERYTHING that goes wrong will be
attributed to your hair-brained decision on the attic. I'm talking
stopped-up toilets, mice in the pantry, windows that won't close,
psoriasis, and the refusal of the grocery clerk to take coupons for stuff
your wife didn't buy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 5, 6:49*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Alim Nassor wrote:
[...]

the grocery clerk to take coupons for stuff your wife didn't buy.- Hide quoted text -

My neighbor has a cathedial ceiling poorly vented with just regular
insulation, his 35 years shingles only last 5-6 years in S. exposure,
yup, heat kills and so do a wifes ex that you stupidly allow to get
within 100 feet or give info on money decisions.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 5, 7:43*pm, ransley wrote:

[...]

just getting ideas.- Hide quoted text -

WTF, you allow her EX to put in his 2 cents! Thats your problem, ban
him. Even worse, he is an AC contractor not contracting.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 5, 11:58*pm, ransley wrote:
On Mar 5, 6:49*am, "HeyBub" wrote:

Alim Nassor wrote:
[...]

within 100 feet or give info on money decisions.- Hide quoted text -

Why is it in every newsgroup there is a guy who likes to throw insults
around, and usually when he is talking about something he knows jack
**** about?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Alim Nassor wrote:
[...]

You need good ventilation under the roof deck to cool the roof. Otherwise, the
shingles will die early.

Insulating the roof will require more insulation for the same job.

Why foam? You can probably use fiberglass for way less $, and it can be removed
if you need to work on the wireing. In an unused attic, you can have as much
insulation as you want.

Will you really have an attic space, or just a bunch of gaps between trusses?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Alim Nassor wrote:

Why is it in every newsgroup there is a guy who likes to throw insults
around, and usually when he is talking about something he knows jack
**** about?

And why did you decide to come to this one?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 6, 12:40*am, "Bob F" wrote:
Alim Nassor wrote:
[...]

Will you really have an attic space, or just a bunch of gaps between trusses?- Hide quoted text -

The roof will be galvanized R-panels. The roof framing will be
trusses. Foam is a good air barrier as well as insulation.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 6, 1:09*am, "Bob F" wrote:
Alim Nassor wrote:
Why is it in every newsgroup there is a guy who likes to throw insults
around, and usually when he is talking about something he knows jack
**** about?

And why did you decide to come to this one?

I was hoping this one would be different, at least for this one
question, my first post to the group.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 5, 3:20*am, Alim Nassor wrote:
[...]

Your builder and wife are both correct but I don't think you
understand that they meant doing both the ceiling and the roof. Your
logic is also correct given your apparent misunderstanding of what
they meant. The roof insulation must be installed properly with an
airspace between the roof and insulation providing an air duct from
the eve to the ridge. If you don't do this the life of your shingles
will be greatly reduced. I suggest you don't let this attic space go
to waste.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-03-05, Alim Nassor wrote:

I want foam insualtion in walls and attic. She is ok with that. What
we disagree about is how to do the attic.

Her ex-husband is a HVAC contractor. He says we should use the " foam
the underside of the roof, seal the attic and semi condition it"
method. Our builder agrees.

My problem with that is, why would I want to semi condition an area
the same size as my house if I am never going to use it for anything?
I want to foam the attic floor, and make sure the attic is well
venitaled. Why is allowing my warm and cold air (that I am paying to
heat and cool) to migrate up into my attic a good idea? Isn't it more
efficient to keep that expensive air in the house by well insulating
the attic floor?

Either method will work well if done properly. Heat loss (in the
winter) or gain (in the summer) depends on the surface area of the
thermal envelope and insulation values. The actual volume of the
conditioned space does not matter directly. Since the roof is a
larger area than the ceiling, if you make the roof part of the thermal
envelope you will have somewhat more heat loss/gain, unless you
insulate it to a correspondingly higher R-value.

But it is not a large effect, and there can be good reasons to
condition the attic space. For example, if your HVAC equipment will
be in the attic space, then there are advantages to having all the
ductwork in conditioned spaces.

As others have mentioned, if you do insulate the roof, then the roof
deck can get quite hot in the summer unless you take measures
otherwise. Depending on the roofing material, this can be a problem
(e.g. with asphalt shingles). But I believe you mentioned using a
galvanized metal roof; I don't think roof deck temperature would be an
issue for that material.

Cheers, Wayne

Posted to alt.home.repair

Alim Nassor wrote:
On Mar 6, 12:40 am, "Bob F" wrote:
Alim Nassor wrote:
[...]

A layer of plastic will be just as good of an air barrier.

How does the foam survive over time when subjected to the extreme heat a metal
roof will transfer? Especially if there is not a ventilated airspace between
them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Alim Nassor wrote:
[...]

Are you sure you want to build a house with a woman who's still that
involved with her ex?

I'd recommend seeking advice from a clinical psychologist rather than an
HVAC guy ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 5 Mar 2010 00:20:25 -0800 (PST), Alim Nassor
wrote:

[...]

Not a Psychologist.

We live in the Mojave desert. A friend's new construction a few years
ago had the attic ceiling sprayed with ICYNENCE tm foam.

See this page: _Insulating an attic ceiling_

http://www.oldhouseweb.com/how-to-ad...-ceiling.shtml

Product web site:

http://www.icynene.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 5, 6:49*am, "HeyBub" wrote:

Alim Nassor wrote:
[...]

**** about?- Hide quoted text -

Hey dummy, your the dummy considering bad advise from the wifeys ex,
just remember the ex might make you shrink in size till your wife
needs the ex.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 6, 2:54*am, "Bob F" wrote:
Alim Nassor wrote:
On Mar 6, 12:40 am, "Bob F" wrote:
Alim Nassor wrote:
[...]

them.- Hide quoted text -

I don't know. Another reason to insulate the floor and not the roof?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 6, 3:42*am, Richard Blaine wrote:
Alim Nassor wrote:
[...]

HVAC guy ;-)- Hide quoted text -

LOL. I'm glad they can be civil. With me and my ex it is more like
civil war.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 5, 6:49*am, "HeyBub" wrote:

Alim Nassor wrote:
[...]

needs the ex.- Hide quoted text -

Someone with your spelling and grammar skills calling anyone else
dummy is funny.

If it is bad advice, explain why. Do you know anything about the
subject matter or do you just like to spew your ignorance as a part of
daily life?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

http://www.oldhouseweb.com/how-to-ad...-attic-ceiling....

Product web site:

http://www.icynene.com/- Hide quoted text -

Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Alim Nassor wrote:
On Mar 6, 2:54 am, "Bob F" wrote:
Alim Nassor wrote:
On Mar 6, 12:40 am, "Bob F" wrote:
Alim Nassor wrote:
[...]

ventilated airspace between them.- Hide quoted text -

I don't know. Another reason to insulate the floor and not the roof?

That's my thought.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 8, 7:22*am, "Bob F" wrote:
Alim Nassor wrote:
[...]