Posted to alt.home.repair
Alim Nassor Alim Nassor is offline

Default Question for HVAC gurus.

On Mar 5, 7:59*pm, The Daring Dufas
wrote:
Alim Nassor wrote:
On Mar 5, 7:17 pm, The Daring Dufas
wrote:
Alim Nassor wrote:
Hi guys. *My wife and I are in the late planning stages of building
our new home. *I want it to be as energy efficient as possible. *We
are having a slight disagreement.
I want foam insualtion in walls and attic. *She is ok with that. *What
we disagree about is how to do the attic.
Her ex-husband is a HVAC contractor. *He says we should use the " foam
the underside of the roof, seal the attic and semi condition it"
method. *Our builder agrees.
My problem with that is, why would I want to semi condition an area
the same size as my house if I am never going to use it for anything?
I want to foam the attic floor, and make sure the attic is well
venitaled. *Why is allowing my warm and cold air (that I am paying *to
heat and cool) to migrate up into my attic a good idea? *Isn't it more
efficient to keep that expensive air in the house by well insulating
the attic floor?
Can anyone give me advice on why my thoughts are wrong?
Are you going to use the attic for storage? Depending on where you
live and the local climate, anything you store in the attic could
be damaged by temperature extremes. I've seen some very large attics
that were an incredible waste of space, is yours one of those?

TDD- Hide quoted text -

Haven't planned on using it for storage. *We will be building about 60
miles north of Dallas. *That's why the though of semi conditioning
that space sure seems wasteful. *And we get pretty dang cold in the
winter and I hate the thought of my warm air going through the ceiling
into an attic that isn't used for much.

Well insulated ceiling and temperature controlled ventilation for the
attic may be the way to go.

TDD- Hide quoted text -

My thoughts too. Thanks.