Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Question for HVAC gurus.

On Mar 5, 6:49*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Alim Nassor wrote:
Hi guys. *My wife and I are in the late planning stages of building
our new home. *I want it to be as energy efficient as possible. *We
are having a slight disagreement.

I want foam insualtion in walls and attic. *She is ok with that. *What
we disagree about is how to do the attic.

Her ex-husband is a HVAC contractor. *He says we should use the " foam
the underside of the roof, seal the attic and semi condition it"
method. *Our builder agrees.

My problem with that is, why would I want to semi condition an area
the same size as my house if I am never going to use it for anything?
I want to foam the attic floor, and make sure the attic is well
venitaled. *Why is allowing my warm and cold air (that I am paying *to
heat and cool) to migrate up into my attic a good idea? *Isn't it more
efficient to keep that expensive air in the house by well insulating
the attic floor?

Can anyone give me advice on why my thoughts are wrong?

1. Foam the underside of the roof? If you do that, the shingles will melt..
Well, maybe not melt, but they will surely degrade rather quickly.

2. The almost unanimous advice, I'll bet, of the experts and knowledgeable
amateurs here is that you will rue the day you go against the wishes of the
lady of the house. Hereafter, EVERYTHING that goes wrong will be attributed
to your hair-brained decision on the attic. I'm talking stopped-up toilets,
mice in the pantry, windows that won't close, psoriasis, and the refusal of
the grocery clerk to take coupons for stuff your wife didn't buy.- Hide quoted text -

My neighbor has a cathedial ceiling poorly vented with just regular
insulation, his 35 years shingles only last 5-6 years in S. exposure,
yup, heat kills and so do a wifes ex that you stupidly allow to get
within 100 feet or give info on money decisions.