Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Crown Moulding

I picked up some crown moulding this weekend.

Unfortunately, I could not get a piece for one round corner. All of my
other corners are square. Can I just square the round corner off, and
apply putty/paint in that empty space? Will it look OK?

Many thanks.

Kate
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 23:35:18 -0800, Kate wrote:

I picked up some crown moulding this weekend.

Unfortunately, I could not get a piece for one round corner. All of my
other corners are square. Can I just square the round corner off, and
apply putty/paint in that empty space? Will it look OK?

Many thanks.

Kate

There is molding made from flexible material that will wrap on curves.
Or you can turn a custom piece on your lathe.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 1, 5:58*am, Phisherman wrote:
On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 23:35:18 -0800, Kate wrote:
I picked up some crown moulding this weekend.

Unfortunately, I could not get a piece for one round corner. *All of my
other corners are square. *Can I just square the round corner off, and
apply putty/paint in that empty space? *Will it look OK?

Many thanks.

Kate

There is molding made from flexible material that will wrap on curves.
Or you can turn a custom piece on your lathe.

If the space to be filled is not too large, less than 1 inch or so, I
would us some sort of filler that is non-shrinkable. If it is
larger, then maybe some of the "foam in a can", removing the excess
and finishing off the surface with "mud".
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 23:35:18 -0800, Kate wrote:

I picked up some crown moulding this weekend.

Unfortunately, I could not get a piece for one round corner. All of my
other corners are square. Can I just square the round corner off, and
apply putty/paint in that empty space? Will it look OK?

Many thanks.

Kate

An outside corner or inside corner?

Sample outside:

http://i.ehow.com/images/GlobalPhoto...-main_Full.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote:
On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 23:35:18 -0800, Kate wrote:

I picked up some crown moulding this weekend.

Unfortunately, I could not get a piece for one round corner. All of my
other corners are square. Can I just square the round corner off, and
apply putty/paint in that empty space? Will it look OK?

Many thanks.

Kate

An outside corner or inside corner?

Sample outside:

http://i.ehow.com/images/GlobalPhoto...-main_Full.jpg

This is an outside corner. I wish I could get the piece for the corner,
but it is not available. Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 01 Mar 2010 14:00:35 -0800, Kate wrote:

Oren wrote:
On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 23:35:18 -0800, Kate wrote:

I picked up some crown moulding this weekend.

Unfortunately, I could not get a piece for one round corner. All of my
other corners are square. Can I just square the round corner off, and
apply putty/paint in that empty space? Will it look OK?

Many thanks.

Kate

An outside corner or inside corner?

Sample outside:

http://i.ehow.com/images/GlobalPhoto...-main_Full.jpg

This is an outside corner. I wish I could get the piece for the corner,
but it is not available. Thanks.

Would the sample above not work in your case. The two pieces you see
at the corner might be cut at 22.5 °. Check the angle on the wall.

Test and play with a couple of small pieces until you get it frog hair
close.

Many homes here have the bull nose (round) corner bead and this gets
around the corner using these cuts.

What kind of saw are you using for cutting the crown? Maybe you have a
"kit" type install (just square cuts and corner pieces)?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote:
[...]

That particular piece would not work, but you did give me an idea.
I will shop around and see if something else would work.

I think it is a mitre saw, but not positive. A friend will be helping
me with this.

Many thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

TD wrote:
Kate wrote in -
september.org:

I picked up some crown moulding this weekend.

Unfortunately, I could not get a piece for one round corner. All of my
other corners are square. Can I just square the round corner off, and
apply putty/paint in that empty space? Will it look OK?

Many thanks.

Kate

I just saw this done on a HGTV show. Which one? gah!

Did some googling

http://forum.doityourself.com/archiv.../t-392835.html

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/askt...446074,00.html

This group is so informative. This gives me even more ideas.
Thanks for taking the time to research this for me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02 Mar 2010 00:02:40 GMT, TD wrote:

Kate wrote in -
september.org:

I picked up some crown moulding this weekend.

Unfortunately, I could not get a piece for one round corner. All of my
other corners are square. Can I just square the round corner off, and
apply putty/paint in that empty space? Will it look OK?

Many thanks.

Kate

I just saw this done on a HGTV show. Which one? gah!

Did some googling

T,

Those links do not apply for the task at hand. How much crown have you
installed using cut kerfs on the backside? Did it break getting around
a corner? Inside or outside?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote:
[...]

If you can find *other* corner pieces (another brand) that has both
inside and outside corners just exchange what you have. Something like
this style?

http://images.architecturaldepot.com...ing-blocks.jpg

I think it is a mitre saw, but not positive. A friend will be helping
me with this.

Many thanks.

Crown moulding needs base moulding ?? Ravi[_4_] Home Repair 10 January 29th 10 03:51 PM
Crown moulding again JimL Woodworking 6 June 1st 08 11:55 PM
crown moulding [email protected] Woodworking 2 October 21st 05 01:25 AM
Crown moulding -- which way is up? Richard Cranium Woodworking 10 July 25th 05 02:33 AM
crown moulding h Home Repair 8 March 22nd 05 02:41 AM