Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Crown moulding needs base moulding ??

Hi,
I am planning to put up crown moulding. The moulding is 3 5/8"
wide. It is from Home depot: http://tinyurl.com/ybkv2uv (Links to Home
Depot). Before installing do i need to put in a base moulding ? What
are the conditions that require a base moulding ?

thanks,
ravi

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 24, 3:34*am, Ravi wrote:
Hi,
* *I am planning to put up crown moulding. The moulding is 3 5/8"
wide. It is from Home depot:http://tinyurl.com/ybkv2uv(Links to Home
Depot). Before installing do i need to put in a base moulding ? What
are the conditions that require a base moulding ?

thanks,
ravi

I'm clicking on the link but all I get is a blank page. Don't know if
it's my computer or the link.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/24/2010 8:30 AM, Mikepier wrote:
On Jan 24, 3:34 am, Ravi wrote:
Hi,
I am planning to put up crown moulding. The moulding is 3 5/8"
wide. It is from Home depot:http://tinyurl.com/ybkv2uv(Links to Home
Depot). Before installing do i need to put in a base moulding ? What
are the conditions that require a base moulding ?

thanks,
ravi

I'm clicking on the link but all I get is a blank page. Don't know if
it's my computer or the link.

The link worked for me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ravi | 2010-01-24 | 2:34:27 AM wrote:

I am planning to put up crown moulding. The moulding is 3 5/8"
wide. It is from Home depot: http://tinyurl.com/ybkv2uv (Links to Home
Depot). Before installing do i need to put in a base moulding ? What
are the conditions that require a base moulding ?

That's a reasonable width molding for just nailing to the studs and joists.

You shouldn't have to use nailing blocks unless you have trouble keeping the molding at the correct spring angle. The one you've picked is probably 38 degrees, though the web site doesn't say.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ravi wrote in news:61072918-4b25-4d64-896c-dc36d5223560
@r19g2000yqb.googlegroups.com:

Hi,
I am planning to put up crown moulding. The moulding is 3 5/8"
wide. It is from Home depot: http://tinyurl.com/ybkv2uv (Links to Home
Depot). Before installing do i need to put in a base moulding ? What
are the conditions that require a base moulding ?

thanks,
ravi

Have you ever installed it before? No?...buy lots of extra :-) What kind of
saw do you plan to cut the angles with?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 24, 10:01*am, Red Green wrote:
Ravi wrote in news:61072918-4b25-4d64-896c-dc36d5223560
@r19g2000yqb.googlegroups.com:

Hi,
* *I am planning to put up crown moulding. The moulding is 3 5/8"
wide. It is from Home depot:http://tinyurl.com/ybkv2uv(Links to Home
Depot). Before installing do i need to put in a base moulding ? What
are the conditions that require a base moulding ?

thanks,
ravi

Have you ever installed it before? No?...buy lots of extra :-) What kind of
saw do you plan to cut the angles with?

You can do whatever looks good to you. Some people like fairly narrow
moulding, others like wide expansive moulding. The trick is to have
backing that holds it at the desired angle while you secure it. That
can be as simple as a block of wood cut at the angle you desire.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 00:34:27 -0800 (PST), Ravi
wrote:

Hi,
I am planning to put up crown moulding. The moulding is 3 5/8"
wide. It is from Home depot: http://tinyurl.com/ybkv2uv (Links to Home
Depot). Before installing do i need to put in a base moulding ? What
are the conditions that require a base moulding ?

thanks,
ravi

No.

Base moulding is at floor level.? 'Course you can stack it for a
crown.

How tall are the ceilings? Will 4" crown look good at 10, 12, 14 feet?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 10:01:54 -0600, Red Green
wrote:

What kind of
saw do you plan to cut the angles with?

He can try a jig saw* Coping saws give me fits. Which way does the
blade teeth point? Push or pull the saw?

"Coping crown molding"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGBJttKahLE
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote in news:c67ql5tceuvaoqflfl1gh479o36fqr7v10@
4ax.com:

wrote:

What kind of
saw do you plan to cut the angles with?

He can try a jig saw* Coping saws give me fits. Which way does the
blade teeth point? Push or pull the saw?

"Coping crown molding"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGBJttKahLE

It's the inside and outside corners angle cuts on walls that are not 90
degrees (errr...all of them) that can cause havoc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Hi,
I am planning to put up crown moulding. The moulding is 3 5/8"
wide. It is from Home depot: http://tinyurl.com/ybkv2uv (Links to Home
Depot). Before installing do i need to put in a base moulding ? What
are the conditions that require a base moulding ?

thanks,
ravi

No base molding needed. Actually, "base molding" is something applied
to the transition of a wall to the floor.

I installed a 6-layered 11" crown molding in my foyer. It is large
but the foyer has a 18-foot ceiling. I attached a "base" to the
wall, a dental layer to the base, another "base" on the ceiling, and
another onto those. It would have been a much easier and faster job
with a pneumatic nailer, but I only had a hammer and nailset. It
still looks good after 14 years.

Choosing Crown Moulding [email protected] Home Repair 7 March 15th 09 07:22 PM
Crown moulding again JimL Woodworking 6 June 1st 08 11:55 PM
crown moulding [email protected] Woodworking 2 October 21st 05 01:25 AM
Crown moulding -- which way is up? Richard Cranium Woodworking 10 July 25th 05 02:33 AM
crown moulding h Home Repair 8 March 22nd 05 02:41 AM