Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Crown moulding needs base moulding ??

On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 00:34:27 -0800 (PST), Ravi
wrote:

Hi,
I am planning to put up crown moulding. The moulding is 3 5/8"
wide. It is from Home depot: http://tinyurl.com/ybkv2uv (Links to Home
Depot). Before installing do i need to put in a base moulding ? What
are the conditions that require a base moulding ?

thanks,
ravi

No base molding needed. Actually, "base molding" is something applied
to the transition of a wall to the floor.

I installed a 6-layered 11" crown molding in my foyer. It is large
but the foyer has a 18-foot ceiling. I attached a "base" to the
wall, a dental layer to the base, another "base" on the ceiling, and
another onto those. It would have been a much easier and faster job
with a pneumatic nailer, but I only had a hammer and nailset. It
still looks good after 14 years.