Posted to alt.home.repair

Default RTV RED Sealant for Oven

Mother-in-law's built-in oven -- 1970's Maytag -- has a loose top
gasket around the oven door.

I was thinking Permatex's Hi-Temp Red Silcone Sealant would work to
resecure. Since I've only used this on auto engines, thought I would
ask for any second opinions here.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 27, 10:27*am, tim birr wrote:
Mother-in-law's built-in oven -- 1970's Maytag -- has a loose top
gasket around the oven door.

I was thinking Permatex's Hi-Temp Red Silcone Sealant would work to
resecure. *Since I've only used this on auto engines, thought I would
ask for any second opinions here.

Hey, all. OP again. I found the Technical Data Sheet for the stuff.
One of the recommended uses on the TDS is oven doors, so I guess I am
good to go. Sorry. My Adobe Reader 9.XXX was screwing up as usual, so
I couldn't open the TDS earlier today. I finally uninstalled that
piece of bloatware and installed Adobe Reader 7.1.4, which is working
great...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 27, 12:39*pm, tim birr wrote:
On Feb 27, 10:27*am, tim birr wrote:

Mother-in-law's built-in oven -- 1970's Maytag -- has a loose top
gasket around the oven door.

I was thinking Permatex's Hi-Temp Red Silcone Sealant would work to
resecure. *Since I've only used this on auto engines, thought I would
ask for any second opinions here.

Hey, all. OP again. I found the Technical Data Sheet for the stuff.
One of the recommended uses on the TDS is oven doors, so I guess I am
good to go. *Sorry. My Adobe Reader 9.XXX was screwing up as usual, so
I couldn't open the TDS earlier today. I finally uninstalled that
piece of bloatware and installed Adobe Reader 7.1.4, which is working
great...

Seems like a good idea, but I would use it sparingly to be sure it
will be ok.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default RTV RED Sealant for Oven (Adobe Reader)

Earlier versions of Adobe Reader have been severly compromised and are
vulnerable to malware attacks. If you do not want to use the current
version, I would strongly recommend that you replace it with Foxit Reader
(free version). It is much smaller the Adobe.
--
Peace,
BobJ

"tim birr" wrote in message
On Feb 27, 10:27 am, tim birr wrote:
Mother-in-law's built-in oven -- 1970's Maytag -- has a loose top
gasket around the oven door.

I was thinking Permatex's Hi-Temp Red Silcone Sealant would work to
resecure. Since I've only used this on auto engines, thought I would
ask for any second opinions here.

Hey, all. OP again. I found the Technical Data Sheet for the stuff.
One of the recommended uses on the TDS is oven doors, so I guess I am
good to go. Sorry. My Adobe Reader 9.XXX was screwing up as usual, so
I couldn't open the TDS earlier today. I finally uninstalled that
piece of bloatware and installed Adobe Reader 7.1.4, which is working
great...

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 10:27:07 -0800 (PST), tim birr
wrote:

Mother-in-law's built-in oven -- 1970's Maytag -- has a loose top
gasket around the oven door.

I was thinking Permatex's Hi-Temp Red Silcone Sealant would work to
resecure. Since I've only used this on auto engines, thought I would
ask for any second opinions here.

I used it for the piece that connects the heat exchanger to the flue,
to plug holes made when welding a box around the rusted out piece**,
and it's been working fine since fall. Of course I don't eat off of
it.

**Rusted out because the humidifier overflowed on to it some of the
time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/27/2010 1:39 PM, tim birr wrote:
On Feb 27, 10:27 am, tim wrote:
Mother-in-law's built-in oven -- 1970's Maytag -- has a loose top
gasket around the oven door.

I was thinking Permatex's Hi-Temp Red Silcone Sealant would work to
resecure. Since I've only used this on auto engines, thought I would
ask for any second opinions here.

Hey, all. OP again. I found the Technical Data Sheet for the stuff.
One of the recommended uses on the TDS is oven doors, so I guess I am
good to go. Sorry. My Adobe Reader 9.XXX was screwing up as usual, so
I couldn't open the TDS earlier today. I finally uninstalled that
piece of bloatware and installed Adobe Reader 7.1.4, which is working
great...

Its a home repair group but the older adobe readers have many security
vulnerabilities. Best to use a recent version of something else.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 27, 10:27 am, tim *wrote:
Mother-in-law's built-in oven -- 1970's Maytag -- has a loose top
gasket around the oven door.

I was thinking Permatex's Hi-Temp Red Silcone Sealant would work to
resecure. *Since I've only used this on auto engines, thought I would
ask for any second opinions here.

Hey, all. OP again. I found the Technical Data Sheet for the stuff.
One of the recommended uses on the TDS is oven doors, so I guess I am
good to go. *Sorry. My Adobe Reader 9.XXX was screwing up as usual, so
I couldn't open the TDS earlier today. I finally uninstalled that
piece of bloatware and installed Adobe Reader 7.1.4, which is working
great...

Its a home repair group but the older adobe readers have many security
vulnerabilities. Best to use a recent version of something else.

OK, I am trying Foxit in place of Adobe Reader. Thanks for the
warnings, everyone. I was reluctant, since I use Cute PDF writer and
ghostscript, but apparently these work with Foxit, also. Time will
tell.