Waynemak

Default Buying a small heat treat oven and Annealing oven

I stop in a shop today to look at some tooling, MT drills and reamers, some
other odd MT stuff not that I need any more odd reamers. Anyhow I bought the
lot just to get whats good out of it (hate sorting out 300 reamers) most
seem sharp. The shop has a small gas heat treat oven and a small electric
annealing oven for $25.00 each, I agreed to stop in next week with my truck
to grab them (wouldn't fit in my small trunk on car) Not sure I will have
much use for these but the price seems fair. He is also thinking about
selling a GOOD lucking Bridgeport for a good price, so if anyone here is
looking for a mill I can do a close look for someone. The mill is in CT

CAMCOMPCO

Look'n for the ovens myself.....don't know what shipping would be, but
if ya don't need both of them, send me a line off group will kick in a
few bucks for your trouble if needed.

cheers
John

Pete Keillor

On Fri, 7 Oct 2005 13:51:34 -0400, "Waynemak"
wrote:

I stop in a shop today to look at some tooling, MT drills and reamers, some
other odd MT stuff not that I need any more odd reamers. Anyhow I bought the
lot just to get whats good out of it (hate sorting out 300 reamers) most
seem sharp. The shop has a small gas heat treat oven and a small electric
annealing oven for $25.00 each, I agreed to stop in next week with my truck
to grab them (wouldn't fit in my small trunk on car) Not sure I will have
much use for these but the price seems fair. He is also thinking about
selling a GOOD lucking Bridgeport for a good price, so if anyone here is
looking for a mill I can do a close look for someone. The mill is in CT

The thing that spooks me on used ovens is wondering if there is any
asbestos. I'm not really worried about asbestos, but I'm concerned
about ending up with something I have to pay 10-100 times as much to
get rid of as I paid to get. It'd be kind of like buying an old
transformer full of PCB's.

Pete Keillor

Grant Erwin

The thing that spooks me on used ovens is wondering if there is any
asbestos. I'm not really worried about asbestos, but I'm concerned
about ending up with something I have to pay 10-100 times as much to
get rid of as I paid to get. It'd be kind of like buying an old
transformer full of PCB's.

Pete Keillor

Exactly. I hauled a heavy one home once, was supposed to work perfectly,
measured resistance there, got the correct reading, hauled it home (HEAVY) and
plugged it in, started heating and PXXT the element broke. Somewhere inside the
ceramic thick walls of the thing. I gave up on it, and decided to tear it down
for the metal. Asbestos city. Yuck. I bagged it all up dutifully and did the
right thing with it, but asbestos sucks. The top to that old heat treating oven
is now the backstop to this plinking target:

http://www.tinyisland.com/images/Target.jpg

GWE
Bob Engelhardt

Waynemak wrote:
selling a GOOD lucking Bridgeport ...

A "good lucking Bridgeport"? Is that like: "You want that Bridgeport?
Good Luck!" ? BG Bob
Waynemak

Ok I fat fingered that, do you feel better now?