Default Whirloop oven strange behavior of oven lights

Hi all-

Got a strange one for you.

We moved into a 5 yr old house about 6 months ago (in the US). Have a
Whirlpool built in electric oven, model RBS305PDB8. Works quite well,
still looks to be in "as-new" condition.

Periodically, at random times, sometimes once a week, sometimes once a
month, sometimes multiple times a day, when the oven is not in use and
the door is closed, the 2 lights inside the oven will flash on and off
(on for 1/2 second, off for 1/2 second, repeat NOT flickering, but
constant) until we open and close the
oven door.

I called Whirlpool, but they hadn't ever heard of this problem (But
then again, the guy told me to make sure the bulbs weren't burned out.
If they were burned out, they couldn't be flashing!!).

I've tried pushing the door closed (in case it was slightly opened)
when this happens, but that doesn't seem to work. I need to open and
then close the door to make it stop.

I found a website with error codes for Whirlpool ovens, but they all
appear on the lcd display, not by flashing the oven lights.

I have unfortunately been unable to eliminate the posibility that all
of this is caused by either of the 2 ghosts that live here. I've asked
both, but neither one of them is talking.

Putting that possiblity aside, let me add some details and thoughts:

1) Under normal operating conditions, the light can be turned on by
either pressing the "light" button on the control panel or by opening
the door. There is a punger type switch built into the oven frame, at
the top of the unit. Holding down the punger turns off the light, even
if the oven door is open, so I believe that it's the only door open
sensor. Depressing the punger even slightly turns the light off and I
can pull the door open slightly without the light coming on. So I
don't think it's a problem witht he door becoming open, it has to be
very open to turn on the light.

2) The last time this happened I tried jumping up and down next to the
oven and banging the counter top that it above the oven. No change,
just 1/2 second on 1/2 second off. Jiggling the door left and right
didn't do anything. Only way to stop it is to open and then shut the
door.

3) I tried pushing the door closed more, I mean really pushing on it,
still no change.

4) Afer jumping didn't do anything, I tried pressing buttons on the
contol panel, looking for any change.

a) Hitting "Light" button turns the light on constant. As soon as I
press the button again, the flashing starts again.

b) Turning the oven on cook, starts the oven, (can't remember for sure,
think flashing continues), and the temperature setting flashes between
the temp and the word "DOOR" indicating that the door is open. If I
open the door all the way, "DOOR" stays on permanently.

5) I also tried leaving the door open, not when the flashing was going
on, but when the lights were initially off. I left it open for 3 hours
and the light just stayed on solid. This eliminates the possiblity
that the flashing it some kind of timer saying "hey stupid, you left
the door open."

6) Now I'm no electrician, but I'd think that a loose connection would
cause flickering of the lights, not a constant 1/2 second on 1/2 second
off cycle.

Has anyone ever experienced this before or have any suggestions?

Kindly,
Ken

This wasn't answered in detail elsewhere, just a bunch of people giving
their thoughts, much like this thread so far. I certainly appreciate
everyone's replies, but I've yet to find someone with the same problem
who has a remedy.

Since in the other newsgroups I didn't receive a definitive answer and
a poster suggested that I try posting here, I did as much.

OR - maybe there was a definitive answer that I missed somewhere? NT-
if this is the case, please point me in the direction of this post.

Thanks
Ken

It was YOU who wrote:
"sci.electronics.repair and uk.d-i-y would be my first choices for
electrical knowledge." so I posted here. Then you decide to flame me
for doing so...

I'm looking for someone who has seen this before and for thoughts from
anyone. You certainly gave some good ideas, but NOTHING was definitive.