Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Jim is offline

Default food friendly oil stain?

Hello,

I just recently bought a very nice, heavy butcher block island for our
kitchen. Our home is trimmed in dark oak. My wife really likes the butcher
block but says the wood is way too light in color and she wants to use
something to bring out the wood grain. It is very light in color and
bland...When I bought the Island it had a tag on it saying 'Ready for
stain"... Since food will be in contact with the wood surface, does anyone
know of any "food friendly" oil stain I can use on this island ? The island
is all birch and I want to make the wood grain jump out... Thanks for any
help... Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 22, 9:01*am, "Jim" nospam@wherever wrote:
Hello,

* * * I just recently bought a very nice, heavy butcher block island for our
kitchen. Our home is trimmed in dark oak. My wife really likes the butcher
block but says the wood is way too light in color and she wants to use
something to bring out the wood grain. It is very light in color and
bland...When I bought the Island it had a tag on it saying 'Ready for
stain"... Since food will be in contact with the wood surface, does anyone
know of any "food friendly" oil stain I can use on this island ? The island
is all birch and I want to make the wood grain jump out... Thanks for any
help... Jim

Maybe coffee , wine, olive oil, just have fun. Why did you buy Birch,
or get some dark wood and have a top put on.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 22, 1:09*pm, wrote:
On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 09:01:00 -0600, "Jim" nospam@wherever wrote:
Hello,

* * *I just recently bought a very nice, heavy butcher block island for our
kitchen. Our home is trimmed in dark oak. My wife really likes the butcher
block but says the wood is way too light in color and she wants to use
something to bring out the wood grain. It is very light in color and
bland...When I bought the Island it had a tag on it saying 'Ready for
stain"... Since food will be in contact with the wood surface, does anyone
know of any "food friendly" oil stain I can use on this island ? The island
is all birch and I want to make the wood grain jump out... Thanks for any
help... Jim

Are you planning on this being a cutting board or just a wood counter
top? We just wanted a counter top and finished ours with about 16
coats of thinned polyurethane shot on with a gun. It is a very hard
surface that will not be affected by food or vice versa. *

Gravy browning? Boiled linseed oil? Possibly vinegar? Or a trial
mixture rubbed into a piece of scrap birch.
We once used Potassium Permanganate to stain wood floors; not sure if
that would be 'food-friendly though.
But a comment, if one may?
Isn't it just like a human to buy one thing and then try and make it
look like something else!
We buy a truck (presumably to use it?) and then try to make it
'sporty'; we pour cement and then try to make it look like stone; put
all kinds of high maintenance gadgets and extra (often false) roof and
dormer features, colonnades etc. on our homes, presumably to make them
more impressive while not adding utility. Or mayb as a sympton of
"Look what we can afford".
Strange creatures those humans!
Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Jim is offline

"terry" wrote in message
On Feb 22, 1:09 pm, wrote:
[...]

So True Terry, but we bought it because it was a good deal...LOL The tag
said 'Stain ready"..I was just looking for something that is food
compatable...Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 22, 1:09*pm, wrote:

By the way on the subject of kitchen 'cutting boards'.

For many years, approx. 30, we operated a small family business,
catering company; which required being at several locations on the
same day and therefore often required cutting boards. Many nice
looking and traditional cutting boards were too lightweight, and
comprising pieces of different woods glued or pegged together often
were more decorative than substantial!

We found that the best cutting boards for durability, ease of use,
easy cleaning etc. were floor joist cut offs.

Just the left over pieces of two by tens, or two by twelves etc. The
businwess has now ceased but we still use two of those cutting boards;
they fit the domestic dish washer, can be stearilzed by that proces
and/or by heat in the oven adn in summer are sometimes 'hung out in
the sun' with a treatmnt of bleach.

At one point we did acquire cheap/free, somewhere, a substantial
butcher's block about 12 by 18 inches. It was too big and heavy for
our use and later we gave it to a retired butcher, who, in season,
will appropriately handle moose or other game that local licensed
hunters need dismembering.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim" nospam@wherever wrote in message
el...
Hello,

I just recently bought a very nice, heavy butcher block island for
our kitchen. Our home is trimmed in dark oak. My wife really likes the
butcher block but says the wood is way too light in color and she wants to
use something to bring out the wood grain. It is very light in color and
bland...When I bought the Island it had a tag on it saying 'Ready for
stain"... Since food will be in contact with the wood surface, does anyone
know of any "food friendly" oil stain I can use on this island ? The
island is all birch and I want to make the wood grain jump out... Thanks
for any help... Jim

I believe the Lawrence-McFadden gel polyurethane stains are food safe once
cured. Damn, I just went to look up the URL and learned they've declared
bankruptcy. I need to order some more of their stains while they're still
in stock. Grizzly Industrial -- grizzly.com -- carries them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim wrote:
Hello,

I just recently bought a very nice, heavy butcher block island for our
kitchen. Our home is trimmed in dark oak. My wife really likes the butcher
block but says the wood is way too light in color and she wants to use
something to bring out the wood grain. It is very light in color and
bland...When I bought the Island it had a tag on it saying 'Ready for
stain"... Since food will be in contact with the wood surface, does anyone
know of any "food friendly" oil stain I can use on this island ? The island
is all birch and I want to make the wood grain jump out... Thanks for any
help... Jim

I never heard of staining a butcher block. Will it be used as a real
butcher block or cutting board? If so I'd go with a natural non
poisonous stain like someone mentioned coffee or wine. As far as
protecting and preserving it, Mineral Oil is what is used on cutting
boards. Vegtable oil will spoil, other oils aren't edible. Probably
easier to find in the pharmacy (also a lubricant for your insides). Or
if they make unscented baby oil, that also is mineral oil. I wouldn't
want to use the scented stuff!!!!

Curious, is the wood on top all end grain? That is the best choice if
you are going to use it as it's name suggests.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 09:41:02 -0800, terry wrote:
At one point we did acquire cheap/free, somewhere, a substantial
butcher's block about 12 by 18 inches. It was too big and heavy for
our use and later we gave it to a retired butcher, who, in season,
will appropriately handle moose or other game that local licensed
hunters need dismembering.

We've got one in our kitchen that's around 24 x 24 inches, made up from
inch-wide strips. Knowing the old dear who used to own the place, she
probably made it herself - but it's pretty well done. It's only just over
an inch thick, but hasn't warped. I sanded it all down last year and (as
per advice on either here or uk.d-i-y, don't recall which) just treat it
to some castor oil every once in a while.

Re. staining, maybe the oil seals the stain in sufficiently that it
doesn't matter what's used. Also, if the company advertised it as 'stain
ready' then surely they should be able to back that up by advising on what
stains were tested (or act on the owner's behalf and ask the company who
actually made it if they're merely suppliers)

cheers

Jules

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/22/2010 10:01 AM, Jim wrote:
Hello,

I just recently bought a very nice, heavy butcher block island for our
kitchen. Our home is trimmed in dark oak. My wife really likes the butcher
block but says the wood is way too light in color and she wants to use
something to bring out the wood grain. It is very light in color and
bland...When I bought the Island it had a tag on it saying 'Ready for
stain"... Since food will be in contact with the wood surface, does anyone
know of any "food friendly" oil stain I can use on this island ? The island
is all birch and I want to make the wood grain jump out... Thanks for any
help... Jim

I made some stain from walnut hulls and see something similar on the
internet:

http://www.gardengrapevine.com/WalnutStain.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim" nospam@wherever wrote in message
el...
Hello,

I just recently bought a very nice, heavy butcher block island for
our kitchen. Our home is trimmed in dark oak. My wife really likes the
butcher block but says the wood is way too light in color and she wants to
use something to bring out the wood grain. It is very light in color and
bland...When I bought the Island it had a tag on it saying 'Ready for
stain"... Since food will be in contact with the wood surface, does anyone
know of any "food friendly" oil stain I can use on this island ? The
island is all birch and I want to make the wood grain jump out... Thanks
for any help... Jim

Any finishes sold today are food safe once cured. You could use just plain
mineral oil also and it will darken the wood a bit, although not as much as
stain. Personally, I'd go with just the mineral oil, putting on a half
dozen coats over a week or two. It will become rather water resistant and a
bit darker with age. It may be all you need for the grain to pop.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 22, 7:01*am, "Jim" nospam@wherever wrote:
Hello,

* * * I just recently bought a very nice, heavy butcher block island for our
kitchen. Our home is trimmed in dark oak. My wife really likes the butcher
block but says the wood is way too light in color and she wants to use
something to bring out the wood grain. It is very light in color and
bland...When I bought the Island it had a tag on it saying 'Ready for
stain"... Since food will be in contact with the wood surface, does anyone
know of any "food friendly" oil stain I can use on this island ? The island
is all birch and I want to make the wood grain jump out... Thanks for any
help... Jim

http://safenaturaltips.com/decoratin...ralstains.html

Then finish with a penetrating oil or wax or vaseline finish that is
food safe.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 22, 2:19*pm, Frank wrote:
On 2/22/2010 10:01 AM, Jim wrote:

Hello,

* * * *I just recently bought a very nice, heavy butcher block island for our
kitchen. Our home is trimmed in dark oak. My wife really likes the butcher
block but says the wood is way too light in color and she wants to use
something to bring out the wood grain. It is very light in color and
bland...When I bought the Island it had a tag on it saying 'Ready for
stain"... Since food will be in contact with the wood surface, does anyone
know of any "food friendly" oil stain I can use on this island ? The island
is all birch and I want to make the wood grain jump out... Thanks for any
help... Jim

I made some stain from walnut hulls and see something similar on the
internet:

http://www.gardengrapevine.com/WalnutStain.html

A place I rented years ago had a huge walnut tree right next to the
gravel driveway. The black mess when those Walnuts fell and where
driven over was truly a site. Looked similar to 100K+ motor oil. I'l
bet you could even stain Rock Maple with "Walnut" stain.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 09:01:00 -0600, "Jim" nospam@wherever wrote:

Hello,

I just recently bought a very nice, heavy butcher block island for our
kitchen. Our home is trimmed in dark oak. My wife really likes the butcher
block but says the wood is way too light in color and she wants to use
something to bring out the wood grain. It is very light in color and
bland...When I bought the Island it had a tag on it saying 'Ready for
stain"... Since food will be in contact with the wood surface, does anyone
know of any "food friendly" oil stain I can use on this island ? The island
is all birch and I want to make the wood grain jump out... Thanks for any
help... Jim

Birch is an excellent choice of wood for not imparting any flavors to
the food. Be careful, some stains (food safe or not) may remove this
benefit.

Mineral oil is a good choice and will enhance the grain and help
protect the top without adding any odor. Use pharmacy grade mineral
oil, use a small amount and rub it in well.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim" nospam@wherever wrote:

Hello,

I just recently bought a very nice, heavy butcher block island for our
kitchen. Our home is trimmed in dark oak. My wife really likes the butcher
block but says the wood is way too light in color and she wants to use
something to bring out the wood grain. It is very light in color and
bland...When I bought the Island it had a tag on it saying 'Ready for
stain"... Since food will be in contact with the wood surface, does anyone
know of any "food friendly" oil stain I can use on this island ? The island
is all birch and I want to make the wood grain jump out... Thanks for any
help... Jim

Pure tung oil (not "Tung Oil Finish") is food safe. It will darken the wood
some, but not a whole lot. -- Doug