Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_13_] Frank[_13_] is offline

Default food friendly oil stain?

On 2/22/2010 10:01 AM, Jim wrote:
Hello,

I just recently bought a very nice, heavy butcher block island for our
kitchen. Our home is trimmed in dark oak. My wife really likes the butcher
block but says the wood is way too light in color and she wants to use
something to bring out the wood grain. It is very light in color and
bland...When I bought the Island it had a tag on it saying 'Ready for
stain"... Since food will be in contact with the wood surface, does anyone
know of any "food friendly" oil stain I can use on this island ? The island
is all birch and I want to make the wood grain jump out... Thanks for any
help... Jim

I made some stain from walnut hulls and see something similar on the
internet:

http://www.gardengrapevine.com/WalnutStain.html