Posted to alt.home.repair
terry terry is offline

Default food friendly oil stain?

On Feb 22, 1:09*pm, wrote:

By the way on the subject of kitchen 'cutting boards'.

For many years, approx. 30, we operated a small family business,
catering company; which required being at several locations on the
same day and therefore often required cutting boards. Many nice
looking and traditional cutting boards were too lightweight, and
comprising pieces of different woods glued or pegged together often
were more decorative than substantial!

We found that the best cutting boards for durability, ease of use,
easy cleaning etc. were floor joist cut offs.

Just the left over pieces of two by tens, or two by twelves etc. The
businwess has now ceased but we still use two of those cutting boards;
they fit the domestic dish washer, can be stearilzed by that proces
and/or by heat in the oven adn in summer are sometimes 'hung out in
the sun' with a treatmnt of bleach.

At one point we did acquire cheap/free, somewhere, a substantial
butcher's block about 12 by 18 inches. It was too big and heavy for
our use and later we gave it to a retired butcher, who, in season,
will appropriately handle moose or other game that local licensed
hunters need dismembering.