Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Old water heaters.

The question came up a while back about how long a water heater lasts.
Out of curiosity I checked the date code on the GSW (gas) water
heater I installed shortly after we bought this house in 1982, when
the house was 8 years old. It (the water heater, not the house) was
built August 1983

The current water heater was installed on the Canadian Thanksgiving
weekend in 1983 (I believe that's columbus day for the Americans).

So the original lasted 9 years - and the replacement has been in
service now for TWENTY SEVEN YEARS.
GSW 5G30NS
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 15, 2:04*pm, wrote:
On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 17:02:34 -0500, wrote:
The question came up a while back about how long a water heater lasts.
Out of curiosity I checked the date code on the GSW *(gas) water
heater I installed shortly after we bought this house in 1982, when
the house was 8 years old. It (the water heater, not the house) was
built *August 1983

The current water heater was installed on the Canadian Thanksgiving
weekend in 1983 (I believe that's columbus day for the Americans).

So the original lasted 9 years - and the replacement has been in
service now for TWENTY SEVEN YEARS.
GSW 5G30NS

* Actually, make that TWENYT SIX years *and 4 months.

That's nothing. My folks have a water heater that is still working
after at least 49 years.
Posted to alt.home.repair

mike wrote in
:

On Feb 15, 2:04*pm, wrote:
On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 17:02:34 -0500, wrote:
The question came up a while back about how long a water heater
lasts. Out of curiosity I checked the date code on the GSW *(gas)
water heater I installed shortly after we bought this house in 1982,
when the house was 8 years old. It (the water heater, not the house)
was built *August 1983

The current water heater was installed on the Canadian Thanksgiving
weekend in 1983 (I believe that's columbus day for the Americans).

So the original lasted 9 years - and the replacement has been in
service now for TWENTY SEVEN YEARS.
GSW 5G30NS

* Actually, make that TWENYT SIX years *and 4 months.

That's nothing. My folks have a water heater that is still working
after at least 49 years.

49 years?!!

Oh I get it, a rain barrel out in the sun :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 15, 3:36*pm, Red Green wrote:
mike wrote :

On Feb 15, 2:04*pm, wrote:
On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 17:02:34 -0500, wrote:
The question came up a while back about how long a water heater
lasts. Out of curiosity I checked the date code on the GSW *(gas)
water heater I installed shortly after we bought this house in 1982,
when the house was 8 years old. It (the water heater, not the house)
was built *August 1983

The current water heater was installed on the Canadian Thanksgiving
weekend in 1983 (I believe that's columbus day for the Americans).

So the original lasted 9 years - and the replacement has been in
service now for TWENTY SEVEN YEARS.
GSW 5G30NS

* Actually, make that TWENYT SIX years *and 4 months.

That's nothing. *My folks have a water heater that is still working
after at least 49 years.

49 years?!!

Oh I get it, a rain barrel out in the sun :-)- Hide quoted text -

Sun? What is the.... OH, you mean that glowing disk-shaped thing in
the sky that is sometimes seen filtered through the clouds? Yeah,
they don't see much of that in the Pacific Northwet.

The tank is an electric model, cranked to thermonuclear temps.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 17:36:52 -0600, Red Green
wrote:

That's nothing. My folks have a water heater that is still working
after at least 49 years.

49 years?!!

Oh I get it, a rain barrel out in the sun :-)

I think the poster meant "boiling water" on the stove?

It made for a nice warm bath in those days.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Yeah, but what is that in American years? Or dog
years?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
The question came up a while back about how long a
water heater lasts.
Out of curiosity I checked the date code on the
GSW (gas) water
heater I installed shortly after we bought this
house in 1982, when
the house was 8 years old. It (the water heater,
not the house) was
built August 1983

The current water heater was installed on the
Canadian Thanksgiving
weekend in 1983 (I believe that's columbus day for
the Americans).

So the original lasted 9 years - and the
replacement has been in
service now for TWENTY SEVEN YEARS.
GSW 5G30NS

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:hlcpmi
:

Yeah, but what is that in American years? Or dog
years?

Or Earth years vs Mercury years.?
Posted to alt.home.repair

mike wrote :

On Feb 15, 2:04 pm, wrote:
[...]

It mostly depends on your water quality. In central Indiana where I grew
up, the burner and clockwork parts usually crapped out before the tank
did. 20+ years was routine.

Guess I oughta check the year on mine, here in SW MI. Pretty sure it is
ten years plus at this point. Seems to work fine, and so signs of any leaks.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 15, 4:02*pm, wrote:
The question came up a while back about how long a water heater lasts.
Out of curiosity I checked the date code on the GSW *(gas) water
heater I installed shortly after we bought this house in 1982, when
the house was 8 years old. It (the water heater, not the house) was
built *August 1983

The current water heater was installed on the Canadian Thanksgiving
weekend in 1983 (I believe that's columbus day for the Americans).

So the original lasted 9 years - and the replacement has been in
service now for TWENTY SEVEN YEARS.
GSW 5G30NS

Yes they last, and nobody cared about efficency so they were not
designed for it. Gas units get less efficent every year from scale,
not electric though. Most new regular grade Ng tanks only have an EF
rating now of 55-60, and that is their new efficency rating 55-60%.
Then factor in a dirty burner, wasting pilot light and unefficent
design of 20 years ago and you have a bigger gas bill. I pulled out a
20 yr tank and cut it open for fun, it had nearly 13 inches of rocky
scale that was blocking heat trasnfer. My new tank cut my summers gas
bill in half, so there are other reasons to replace them, and if it
blows, will it ruin anything in the basement?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 10:10:25 -0800 (PST), ransley
wrote:

On Feb 15, 4:02Â*pm, wrote:
The question came up a while back about how long a water heater lasts.
Out of curiosity I checked the date code on the GSW Â*(gas) water
heater I installed shortly after we bought this house in 1982, when
the house was 8 years old. It (the water heater, not the house) was
built Â*August 1983

[...]

Well, the efficiency isn't TOO bad. I heat the entire house and the
hot water for under $700 per year in gas. 100 sq ft 2 story plus
finished basement in Central Ontario.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Feb 15, 4:02*pm, wrote:
[...]

finished basement in Central Ontario.- Hide quoted text -

I bet Its under 45% so its crap.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Feb 15, 4:02 pm, wrote:
[...]

Unless you are paying to cool your house the heat *lost* actually is lost
inside your house ands the heat from the standing pilot gets absorbed into
the water you were going to heat anyway.

Either cheap electricity or expensive gas could sway the cost factor to
electric however usually gas is the cheapest.

--

__
Roger Shoaf

Important factors in selecting a mate:
1] Depth of gene pool
2] Position on the food chain.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 17 Feb 2010 14:50:27 -0800, "Roger Shoaf"
wrote:

wrote:
On Feb 15, 4:02 pm, wrote:
[...]

It's staying 'till it leaks, and then I'll look at higher efficiency.
Replacingg my 30+ year old furnace with a non-condensing high
efficiency (tempstar 80+) furnace didn't cut my gas bill a penny. It
DID lower my electric bill. So I'm not going to pay a huge premium
for a few points in efficiency. DEFINITELY won't go to electric.

Water heaters [email protected] Home Repair 9 November 15th 09 09:01 PM
Water heaters Jim Home Repair 84 October 9th 07 06:18 PM
Hard water & Indirect Water Heaters [email protected] Home Repair 0 June 9th 07 04:29 AM
two water heaters Rick Home Repair 18 December 16th 05 02:31 AM
Circulating hot water vs two hot water heaters [email protected] Home Ownership 10 March 3rd 05 06:17 AM