Posted to alt.home.repair
mike mike is offline

Default Old water heaters.

On Feb 15, 3:36*pm, Red Green wrote:
mike wrote :

On Feb 15, 2:04*pm, wrote:
On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 17:02:34 -0500, wrote:
The question came up a while back about how long a water heater
lasts. Out of curiosity I checked the date code on the GSW *(gas)
water heater I installed shortly after we bought this house in 1982,
when the house was 8 years old. It (the water heater, not the house)
was built *August 1983

The current water heater was installed on the Canadian Thanksgiving
weekend in 1983 (I believe that's columbus day for the Americans).

So the original lasted 9 years - and the replacement has been in
service now for TWENTY SEVEN YEARS.
GSW 5G30NS

* Actually, make that TWENYT SIX years *and 4 months.

That's nothing. *My folks have a water heater that is still working
after at least 49 years.

49 years?!!

Oh I get it, a rain barrel out in the sun :-)- Hide quoted text -

Sun? What is the.... OH, you mean that glowing disk-shaped thing in
the sky that is sometimes seen filtered through the clouds? Yeah,
they don't see much of that in the Pacific Northwet.

The tank is an electric model, cranked to thermonuclear temps.