Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Plumbing with Cinnamon

I was installing a bathroom sink drain assembly recently. Due to the
sink material, I couldn't use putty under the drain flange. I didn't
feel like using silicone under it, partly because any leak would just
flow into the drain chamber and really only prevent the sink from
maintaining a steady basin of water with the stopper engaged. Also,
if I needed to change the drain assembly out, it'd be easier not to
have something clinging under the flange.

So, I sprinkled some ground cinnamon around the wet flange, and all
leaking ceased instantly. It was somewhat amusing.

I'm sure calcium in the water will further infiltrate the cinnamon
seal with time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 15, 11:33*am, mike wrote:
I was installing a bathroom sink drain assembly recently. *Due to the
sink material, I couldn't use putty under the drain flange. *I didn't
feel like using silicone under it, partly because any leak would just
flow into the drain chamber and really only prevent the sink from
maintaining a steady basin of water with the stopper engaged. *Also,
if I needed to change the drain assembly out, it'd be easier not to
have something clinging under the flange.

So, I sprinkled some ground cinnamon around the wet flange, and all
leaking ceased instantly. *It was somewhat amusing.

I'm sure calcium in the water will further infiltrate the cinnamon
seal with time.

Whats it made of gold? It will be amusing when you have to take it
apart to do it right.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 15, 9:49*am, ransley wrote:
On Feb 15, 11:33*am, mike wrote:

I was installing a bathroom sink drain assembly recently. *Due to the
sink material, I couldn't use putty under the drain flange. *I didn't
feel like using silicone under it, partly because any leak would just
flow into the drain chamber and really only prevent the sink from
maintaining a steady basin of water with the stopper engaged. *Also,
if I needed to change the drain assembly out, it'd be easier not to
have something clinging under the flange.

So, I sprinkled some ground cinnamon around the wet flange, and all
leaking ceased instantly. *It was somewhat amusing.

I'm sure calcium in the water will further infiltrate the cinnamon
seal with time.

Whats it made of gold? It will be amusing when you have to take it
apart to do it right.

What's made of gold? The sink? The flange? Why does it matter?

It's working. And even in the unlikely event that a leak reappears...
so what? I hardly ever need to soak something in a basin of water.
And the nature of the possible leak doesn't create any mess. Any
water goes down the drain.

I might have to reapply the cinnamon or smear some other sealer around
the edge of the flang if I really wanted to. Not a biggie, and not
very likely.
Posted to alt.home.repair

mike wrote:
I was installing a bathroom sink drain assembly recently. Due to the
sink material, I couldn't use putty under the drain flange. I didn't
feel like using silicone under it, partly because any leak would just
flow into the drain chamber and really only prevent the sink from
maintaining a steady basin of water with the stopper engaged. Also,
if I needed to change the drain assembly out, it'd be easier not to
have something clinging under the flange.

So, I sprinkled some ground cinnamon around the wet flange, and all
leaking ceased instantly. It was somewhat amusing.

I'm sure calcium in the water will further infiltrate the cinnamon
seal with time.

How did that go again? It's a dessert topping and a floor wax!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 15, 11:33*am, mike wrote:

[...]

very likely.- Hide quoted text -

Try cornstarch next time, mixed with Vanilla extract.

Posted to alt.home.repair

mike wrote:
I was installing a bathroom sink drain assembly recently. Due to the
sink material, I couldn't use putty under the drain flange. I didn't
feel like using silicone under it, partly because any leak would just
flow into the drain chamber and really only prevent the sink from
maintaining a steady basin of water with the stopper engaged. Also,
if I needed to change the drain assembly out, it'd be easier not to
have something clinging under the flange.

So, I sprinkled some ground cinnamon around the wet flange, and all
leaking ceased instantly. It was somewhat amusing.

I'm sure calcium in the water will further infiltrate the cinnamon
seal with time.

Hmm,
Guess saw dust would do the same but being organic material it'll rot
away ooner or later. I used a Silicon gasket and it did the job.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 15, 12:23*pm, Tony Hwang wrote:
Hmm,
Guess saw dust would do the same but being organic material it'll rot
away ooner or later. I used a Silicon gasket and it did the job.

I have installed one that come with a gasket for the flange. A picky
person might object to the thickness making the flange stand a little
proud. The manufacturer could have used a thinner gasket, unless they
were worried about damage during packing, unpacking,etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote:
mike wrote:
I was installing a bathroom sink drain assembly recently. Due to the
sink material, I couldn't use putty under the drain flange. I didn't
feel like using silicone under it, partly because any leak would just
flow into the drain chamber and really only prevent the sink from
maintaining a steady basin of water with the stopper engaged. Also,
if I needed to change the drain assembly out, it'd be easier not to
have something clinging under the flange.

So, I sprinkled some ground cinnamon around the wet flange, and all
leaking ceased instantly. It was somewhat amusing.

I'm sure calcium in the water will further infiltrate the cinnamon
seal with time.

Hmm,
Guess saw dust would do the same but being organic material it'll rot
away ooner or later. I used a Silicon gasket and it did the job.

Did you make your own "silicon" gasket? What temperature did
it take to grow the silicon crystal? *snicker*

TDD

Plumbing Code - Can I tie my bathroom exaust fan into the main plumbing vent to the outside. johnnymo Home Repair 29 December 9th 18 02:08 AM
DIY plumbing benpost UK diy 3 December 3rd 08 04:53 PM
Plumbing help... benick[_2_] Home Repair 5 November 23rd 08 01:51 AM
CH plumbing Stephen[_2_] UK diy 9 November 3rd 08 02:17 PM
PEX Plumbing D Duddles Home Repair 11 September 17th 04 02:22 AM