D Duddles

Default PEX Plumbing

I'm building a new house, and just learned that the plumbing contractor
installs only PEX (Cross-linked polyethylene) plumbing. I've seen some
segments on this stuff on various home improvement shows, and the opinions
I've heard have been generally favorable. One thing I do wonder, though, is
if the PEX tubing tends to impart any 'plasticky' taste in the water?
Anyone have any experience with it that can comment?

Thanks,

Doug D.

--
__________________________
Replace 'NOSPAM' with 'duddles' to reply by email.

Mike Jak

We have Wirsbo AquaPex. I like it better than coper.

Only one issue, you need the "tool" to mess with it, like add water softener
etc etc etc

Brian

SQLit

"D Duddles" wrote in message
I'm building a new house, and just learned that the plumbing contractor
installs only PEX (Cross-linked polyethylene) plumbing. I've seen some
segments on this stuff on various home improvement shows, and the opinions
I've heard have been generally favorable. One thing I do wonder, though,

is
if the PEX tubing tends to impart any 'plasticky' taste in the water?
Anyone have any experience with it that can comment?

Thanks,

Doug D.

My home circa 1999 is PEX and the only thing I dis like is the 40 psi max
pressure for it.
I like stiff showers. I would have preferred that copper was used for the
rear outside hose bib, showers, washer. The bathroom sinks and toilets get
enough water with the 40 psi. I guess you could always run 3/4 instead of
the 1/2 or 3/8 that I have to get more volume.

I drink filtered water. No taste when I rinse my teeth in the bathroom

---

mbrooks

What is "the tool" about? Easy to get? I've heard only about trailers
and boats with this sort of plumbing. I didn't realize it was
migrating to houses so quickly.

"Mike Jak" wrote in message news:WgB1d.301697$8_6.300893@attbi_s04...
We have Wirsbo AquaPex. I like it better than coper.

Only one issue, you need the "tool" to mess with it, like add water softener
etc etc etc

Brian

Mike Jak

Check this out...

worth about ~ $220/USD
and this

and this

http://www.wirsbo.com/main.php?pm=1&.../ho_mm2sm0.php

My house was built by one of the top 5 builder in US ( Estate Collection). I
think builder
was after 25 year warrantee...

Brian

om...

"Mike Jak" wrote in message
We have Wirsbo AquaPex. I like it better than coper.

Only one issue, you need the "tool" to mess with it, like add water
softener
etc etc etc

Brian

George E. Cawthon

Good thought on the rating. The only thing I've seen rated for 40 or
50 psi is food grade polyethylene tubing.

Rudy wrote:

Are you sure its rated 40# ? Where did you get this idea ? Is there any of
your piping accessible, say in bsmt or crawl to recheck? Perhaps its a 40
oC rating for temperature rather than pressure.
Ours is rated 100# @ 180 oF and 160 # @ 73 oF
We ran 85# in our last house for 5 yrs and 70 in this one.

My home circa 1999 is PEX and the only thing I dis like is the 40 psi max
pressure for it.
I like stiff showers. I would have preferred that copper was used for the
rear outside hose bib, showers, washer. The bathroom sinks and toilets get
enough water with the 40 psi. I guess you could always run 3/4 instead of
the 1/2 or 3/8 that I have to get more volume.

Rudy

The tool is for the steel crimp rings, about $90.

Here, The Home Depot rents the tool by the day for 10 bucks

To me the idea of manifold plumbing using PEX sounds
like the way to go now days

Is that true?
George E. Cawthon

Rudy wrote:

The tool is for the steel crimp rings, about $90.

Here, The Home Depot rents the tool by the day for 10 bucks

I rented one and it cost about 10 for 1/2 day. If you plumb with the
stuff, you want to buy the tool, unless you are really fast and never
have any maintenance problems. Most tools where I live rent for a
price that is about 1/4 to 1/6 per day of the cost of buying.
Anything that spills over a week means you should buy the tool,
probably can sell it for 1/2 of the buying cost, so much cheaper than
renting.