Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Need suggestions for repairing ceramic birdbath pedestal

A group of javalina (I live in Arizona) knocked over my ceramic
birdbath. The pedestal is hollow and made from what looks like the same
red clay used for flowerpots (glazed on the outside). All the broken
pieces are on one side, so the pedestal still stands up.

I have all the pieces, and they fit together tightly. What I'm looking
for is an appropriate weatherproof structural adhesive to put the
pedestal back together.

Since the pieces fit so well together, I don't believe that an epoxy
putty would work.

What do the experts here recommend?

(Having learned my lesson, I will put a pipe in the ground to keep the
birdbath from being knocked over again.)

Thanks for any suggestions.

Northe
Green Valley, AZ
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 15, 8:49*am, Northe wrote:
A group of javalina (I live in Arizona) knocked over my ceramic
birdbath. The pedestal is hollow and made from what looks like the same
red clay used for flowerpots (glazed on the outside). All the broken
pieces are on one side, so the pedestal still stands up.

I have all the pieces, and they fit together tightly. What I'm looking
for is an appropriate weatherproof structural adhesive to put the
pedestal back together.

Since the pieces fit so well together, I don't believe that an epoxy
putty would work.

What do the experts here recommend?

(Having learned my lesson, I will put a pipe in the ground to keep the
birdbath from being knocked over again.)

Thanks for any suggestions.

Northe
Green Valley, AZ

I've had good luck with JB weld and ceramics, aside from leaving a
telltale gray outline. Epoxy, of some sort, is your likely best choice.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Northe wrote:
A group of javalina (I live in Arizona) knocked over my ceramic
birdbath. The pedestal is hollow and made from what looks like the
same red clay used for flowerpots (glazed on the outside). All the
broken pieces are on one side, so the pedestal still stands up.

I have all the pieces, and they fit together tightly. What I'm looking
for is an appropriate weatherproof structural adhesive to put the
pedestal back together.

Since the pieces fit so well together, I don't believe that an epoxy
putty would work.

So use a regular epoxy (non-putty).

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 15, 10:21*am, "dadiOH" wrote:
Northe wrote:
A group of javalina (I live in Arizona) knocked over my ceramic
birdbath. The pedestal is hollow and made from what looks like the
same red clay used for flowerpots (glazed on the outside). All the
broken pieces are on one side, so the pedestal still stands up.

I have all the pieces, and they fit together tightly. What I'm looking
for is an appropriate weatherproof structural adhesive to put the
pedestal back together.

Since the pieces fit so well together, I don't believe that an epoxy
putty would work.

So use a regular epoxy (non-putty).

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
Get it athttp://mysite.verizon.net/xico

How about crazy glue?
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Feb 15, 10:21*am, "dadiOH" wrote:

snip

Since the pieces fit so well together, I don't believe that an epoxy
putty would work.

So use a regular epoxy (non-putty).

snip

Best choice.
Use a water-clear slow cure two part epoxy. Once cured, some JB WEld
for back up/reinforcement wouldn't hurt. Some china restoration shops
use cyanoacrylates (Whoopee Glue) which can be found now in a lot of
useful different formulations. Pricey but fast, one could get the
assembly together piece by piece in minutes. Again, an epoxy
reinforcement would add needed strength.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Feb 15, 8:49*am, Northe wrote:
A group of javalina (I live in Arizona) knocked over my ceramic
birdbath.

snip

Have you bought your hunting license yet? G

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

dadiOH wrote:
Northe wrote:
A group of javalina (I live in Arizona) knocked over my ceramic
birdbath. The pedestal is hollow and made from what looks like the
same red clay used for flowerpots (glazed on the outside). All the
broken pieces are on one side, so the pedestal still stands up.

I have all the pieces, and they fit together tightly. What I'm looking
for is an appropriate weatherproof structural adhesive to put the
pedestal back together.

Since the pieces fit so well together, I don't believe that an epoxy
putty would work.

So use a regular epoxy (non-putty).

The stuff they sell for putting the cap blocks on those dry-stack
retaining walls should probably work, if you can squish the parts
together tight enough. Scrape off any excess that oozes out before it
sets up, of course. May have to do the repair in several stages, so you
can get the rope or webbing around it to clamp it. Doing it with epoxy
would likely cost more than a new birdbath.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Northe wrote:
A group of javalina (I live in Arizona) knocked over my ceramic
birdbath. The pedestal is hollow and made from what looks like the same
red clay used for flowerpots (glazed on the outside). All the broken
pieces are on one side, so the pedestal still stands up.

I have all the pieces, and they fit together tightly. What I'm looking
for is an appropriate weatherproof structural adhesive to put the
pedestal back together.

Since the pieces fit so well together, I don't believe that an epoxy
putty would work.

What do the experts here recommend?

(Having learned my lesson, I will put a pipe in the ground to keep the
birdbath from being knocked over again.)

Thanks for any suggestions.

Northe
Green Valley, AZ

http://www.thistothat.com/

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 16:44:40 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

http://www.thistothat.com/

TDD

That link showed up here, before...a good reminder from you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:
dadiOH wrote:
Northe wrote:
A group of javalina (I live in Arizona) knocked over my ceramic
birdbath. The pedestal is hollow and made from what looks like the
same red clay used for flowerpots (glazed on the outside). All the
broken pieces are on one side, so the pedestal still stands up.

I have all the pieces, and they fit together tightly. What I'm
looking for is an appropriate weatherproof structural adhesive to
put the pedestal back together.

Since the pieces fit so well together, I don't believe that an epoxy
putty would work.

So use a regular epoxy (non-putty).

Doing it with epoxy would likely cost more than a new birdbath.

I guess that depends upon where you buy the epoxy...last I bought was $65
for 1 1/2 gallons. Just $15.50 for 24 oz. The little tubes (25 ml or so)
at HD, Lowes. Ace, etc are usually under $5, don't know how much OP needs.

I once put back together a largish (30" high) vase with white glue, couple
of hundred pieces from large to tiny, still together 30 years later. That
wouldn't be any good for something outside but Titebond II should be OK for
the pedestal, not for the water tray.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks to Eric, Joe, aem, etc.

I'm going to try liquid nails to put the pieces together. One of the
salespeople at the local hardware store said that she'd had good results
with fixing several red clay pots using the stuff. I may back up the
inside with epoxy.

Northe

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Northe wrote:
Thanks to Eric, Joe, aem, etc.

I'm going to try liquid nails to put the pieces together. One of the
salespeople at the local hardware store said that she'd had good results
with fixing several red clay pots using the stuff. I may back up the
inside with epoxy.

Bummer of a choice unless you don't give a rats' patootie about
appearance...just use a good epoxy

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 21, 10:58*am, Northe wrote:
Thanks to Eric, Joe, aem, etc.

I'm going to try liquid nails to put the pieces together. One of the
salespeople at the local hardware store said that she'd had good results
with fixing several red clay pots using the stuff. I may back up the
inside with epoxy.

Northe

I'm guessing that's because the sales person has never tried a real 2
part epoxy like West Systems or a similar product.

Head over to your local Marine Supply shop and check out their epoxy
aisle.
Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb writes:
Northe wrote:
Thanks to Eric, Joe, aem, etc.

I'm going to try liquid nails to put the pieces together. One of the
salespeople at the local hardware store said that she'd had good
results with fixing several red clay pots using the stuff. I may
back up the inside with epoxy.

Bummer of a choice unless you don't give a rats' patootie about
appearance...just use a good epoxy

Yup - Liquid nails is an awful choice and will likely leave you with
all types of messy smudges and since it is so thick, it is likely to
give a poor bonding if the join between the ceramic parts is truly
hairline.

A high quality, slow cure two part epoxy (like West System's) without
any filler is the perfect solution. If necessary you can strengthen the
joint by filetting with various epoxy+filler combinations +/- fiberglass
tape but my guess is that if the pieces truly fit that tight together
then just epoxy alone will be more than sufficient.

Liquid nails is for bonding subfloors, panelling, sheathing etc...