Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default Need suggestions for repairing ceramic birdbath pedestal

aemeijers wrote:
dadiOH wrote:
Northe wrote:
A group of javalina (I live in Arizona) knocked over my ceramic
birdbath. The pedestal is hollow and made from what looks like the
same red clay used for flowerpots (glazed on the outside). All the
broken pieces are on one side, so the pedestal still stands up.

I have all the pieces, and they fit together tightly. What I'm
looking for is an appropriate weatherproof structural adhesive to
put the pedestal back together.

Since the pieces fit so well together, I don't believe that an epoxy
putty would work.

So use a regular epoxy (non-putty).

Doing it with epoxy would likely cost more than a new birdbath.

I guess that depends upon where you buy the epoxy...last I bought was $65
for 1 1/2 gallons. Just $15.50 for 24 oz. The little tubes (25 ml or so)
at HD, Lowes. Ace, etc are usually under $5, don't know how much OP needs.

I once put back together a largish (30" high) vase with white glue, couple
of hundred pieces from large to tiny, still together 30 years later. That
wouldn't be any good for something outside but Titebond II should be OK for
the pedestal, not for the water tray.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...