Posted to alt.home.repair

Default PVC waste pipe leak

I have a leak in the drain line from one of the upstairs bathrooms in
a wall in the kitchen. Without opening the wall, my guess is that the
screw that holds the wire shelves in the kitchen was put where it
shouldn't have been. Is there an easy way to repair a hole (#8 screw,
perhaps) in PVC pipe? If this is the issue, a small hole and a repair
isn't going to be a real big deal. If I have to cut a section of pipe
out and fit new it may be. The pipe goes into the concrete slab about
2' below where I think the leak is. Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 12, 11:24*am, krw wrote:
I have a leak in the drain line from one of the upstairs bathrooms in
a wall in the kitchen. *Without opening the wall, my guess is that the
screw that holds the wire shelves in the kitchen was put where it
shouldn't have been. *Is there an easy way to repair a hole (#8 screw,
perhaps) in PVC pipe? *If this is the issue, a small hole and a repair
isn't going to be a real big deal. *If I have to cut a section of pipe
out and fit new it may be. *The pipe goes into the concrete slab about
2' below where I think the leak is. Thanks.

If you don't want any protrusions in the drain line from a screw, you
can remove the screw, cut out a segment of PVC from a new fitting to
match the outer radius of the pipe, and glue it on with standard PVC
glue after priming it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

And if it ends up being a joint leak due to improper installation, you
can try this:

http://www.finehomebuilding.com/how-...ipe-patch.aspx
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 12, 2:28*pm, mike wrote:
On Feb 12, 11:24*am, krw wrote:

I have a leak in the drain line from one of the upstairs bathrooms in
a wall in the kitchen. *Without opening the wall, my guess is that the
screw that holds the wire shelves in the kitchen was put where it
shouldn't have been. *Is there an easy way to repair a hole (#8 screw,
perhaps) in PVC pipe? *If this is the issue, a small hole and a repair
isn't going to be a real big deal. *If I have to cut a section of pipe
out and fit new it may be. *The pipe goes into the concrete slab about
2' below where I think the leak is. Thanks.

If you don't want any protrusions in the drain line from a screw, you
can remove the screw, cut out a segment of PVC from a new fitting to
match the outer radius of the pipe, and glue it on with standard PVC
glue after priming it.

If indeed a screw did penetrate the pipe, it should not leak. I
understand if you removed the screw then it would leak.
But if you can gain access, just plug the hole with epoxy or pvc
glue.
But you wont know whats going on unless you remove the sheetrock.

Is this the main stack coming down? How big is the pipe?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 11:28:49 -0800 (PST), mike
wrote:

On Feb 12, 11:24*am, krw wrote:
I have a leak in the drain line from one of the upstairs bathrooms in
a wall in the kitchen. *Without opening the wall, my guess is that the
screw that holds the wire shelves in the kitchen was put where it
shouldn't have been. *Is there an easy way to repair a hole (#8 screw,
perhaps) in PVC pipe? *If this is the issue, a small hole and a repair
isn't going to be a real big deal. *If I have to cut a section of pipe
out and fit new it may be. *The pipe goes into the concrete slab about
2' below where I think the leak is. Thanks.

If you don't want any protrusions in the drain line from a screw, you
can remove the screw, cut out a segment of PVC from a new fitting to
match the outer radius of the pipe, and glue it on with standard PVC
glue after priming it.

Thanks, that's sorta what I was thinking about doing. I just wanted
to get other's ideas before I open the wall. The wall in question is
between the refrigerator and a pantry (a closet, really) so I can open
either side of the wall.

Damned builders mutter

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 12, 2:24*pm, krw wrote:
I have a leak in the drain line from one of the upstairs bathrooms in
a wall in the kitchen. *Without opening the wall, my guess is that the
screw that holds the wire shelves in the kitchen was put where it
shouldn't have been. *Is there an easy way to repair a hole (#8 screw,
perhaps) in PVC pipe? *If this is the issue, a small hole and a repair
isn't going to be a real big deal. *If I have to cut a section of pipe
out and fit new it may be. *The pipe goes into the concrete slab about
2' below where I think the leak is. Thanks.

If you are sure it is the screw...

Remove the offending screw and go to either Wendy's or McDonalds for
lunch, not Burger King. Get an extra straw.

Enjoy your trans-fat laden lunch.

Drill a 1/4 hole in the wall where the screw used to be

Cut a sliver off of the tip of you tube of caulk

Put your extra straw over the end of the caulk and insert the straw
throught the hole in the wall until you touch the pipe with it

Squeeze your caulk through the straw and onto the pipe (hold the straw
tightly it will want to come of the caulking tip)

Put a little more caulk in the hole in the drywall on your way out and
smooth it over

When the caulk dries hit the hole with a light coat of spackle

DONE!
(Burger King straws are a smaller diameter and won't fit over the tip
of the caulk tube)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 12, 11:56*am, Mikepier wrote:
On Feb 12, 2:28*pm, mike wrote:

On Feb 12, 11:24*am, krw wrote:

[...]

Not so fast. A screw driven in with a drill could easily spin enough
to strip out material and allow for a leak. And PVC has been known to
crack from getting fairly minor, but unlucky, hits. A screw driving
thru some wood might push enough force on the screw tip to start a
small crack.

Some exploration is in order.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 12:00:19 -0800 (PST), Limp Arbor
wrote:

On Feb 12, 2:24*pm, krw wrote:
I have a leak in the drain line from one of the upstairs bathrooms in
a wall in the kitchen. *Without opening the wall, my guess is that the
screw that holds the wire shelves in the kitchen was put where it
shouldn't have been. *Is there an easy way to repair a hole (#8 screw,
perhaps) in PVC pipe? *If this is the issue, a small hole and a repair
isn't going to be a real big deal. *If I have to cut a section of pipe
out and fit new it may be. *The pipe goes into the concrete slab about
2' below where I think the leak is. Thanks.

If you are sure it is the screw...

Not positive it's the screw, but the water stain can be seen running
from that screw down when water is run in that bathroom.

Remove the offending screw and go to either Wendy's or McDonalds for
lunch, not Burger King. Get an extra straw.

Enjoy your trans-fat laden lunch.

No thanks.

Drill a 1/4 hole in the wall where the screw used to be

Cut a sliver off of the tip of you tube of caulk

Put your extra straw over the end of the caulk and insert the straw
throught the hole in the wall until you touch the pipe with it

Silicone caulk is strong enough to seal the pipe? I know there is
"no" pressure in the waste pipe, but...

Squeeze your caulk through the straw and onto the pipe (hold the straw
tightly it will want to come of the caulking tip)

Put a little more caulk in the hole in the drywall on your way out and
smooth it over

When the caulk dries hit the hole with a light coat of spackle

DONE!
(Burger King straws are a smaller diameter and won't fit over the tip
of the caulk tube)

You forgot the part about relocating the screw. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 11:48:08 -0800 (PST), mike
wrote:

And if it ends up being a joint leak due to improper installation, you
can try this:

http://www.finehomebuilding.com/how-...ipe-patch.aspx

Good idea, thanks. I don't *think* it's a joint leak, but it could
be. Water will find weird ways out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 11:56:30 -0800 (PST), Mikepier
wrote:

On Feb 12, 2:28*pm, mike wrote:
On Feb 12, 11:24*am, krw wrote:

[...]

One of them. It's a new house, so I assume it's a 4" stack. I'll
open it up this weekend, perhaps. We don't use that bathroom (so
never noticed the leak) but the kid and DIL are coming to visit next
weekend, so...

Posted to alt.home.repair

krw wrote:
I have a leak in the drain line from one of the upstairs bathrooms in
a wall in the kitchen. Without opening the wall, my guess is that the
screw that holds the wire shelves in the kitchen was put where it
shouldn't have been. Is there an easy way to repair a hole (#8 screw,
perhaps) in PVC pipe? If this is the issue, a small hole and a repair
isn't going to be a real big deal. If I have to cut a section of pipe
out and fit new it may be. The pipe goes into the concrete slab about
2' below where I think the leak is. Thanks.

I repositioned some nozzels on my irrigation system 3 or 4 years ago
and plugged the old holes with a little epoxy. Ithink the sun may
ruin the pvc before the epoxy lets go.

Jimmie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 15:41:40 -0600, krw wrote:

One of them. It's a new house, so I assume it's a 4" stack. I'll
open it up this weekend, perhaps. We don't use that bathroom (so
never noticed the leak) but the kid and DIL are coming to visit next
weekend, so...

Keep the wall damage minimum (smaller patch). The link here shows a
simple hose clamp and rubber. * I would try stainless hose clamps and
rubber, depending on what you see in the wall.

The builder had to come back and fix a stack years ago. Every Monday
morning the downstairs carpet would be soggy wet at one corner. There
was a pattern - SWMBO bathed on Sunday night and tub drained from the
second floor.

A rubber sleeve / clamp connection was not installed properly so water
leaked out the sleeve. Locating the pipe caused numerous wall repairs.
The builder did a wonderful job.

Please post back what you find and your solution. Folks like to hear
about them.

*
http://www.do-it-yourself-help.com/r...eaky_pipe.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

krw wrote:
I have a leak in the drain line from one of the upstairs bathrooms in
a wall in the kitchen. Without opening the wall, my guess is that the
screw that holds the wire shelves in the kitchen was put where it
shouldn't have been. Is there an easy way to repair a hole (#8 screw,
perhaps) in PVC pipe? If this is the issue, a small hole and a repair
isn't going to be a real big deal. If I have to cut a section of pipe
out and fit new it may be. The pipe goes into the concrete slab about
2' below where I think the leak is. Thanks.

If it's really just a screw hole, dab a little pvc cement (even that partially
dried old can) onto the hole. Let it dry. If any hole remains, dab a little more
on. Repeat as necessary.

My father had a leak in the drain pipe in the basement under his kitchen sink.
When I found the drywall nail through the pipe under the sink, I thought we had
it. Turned out, every section of pipe down to the basement floor had a split
down it. Best guess - someone drive over a length of pipe lengthwise, then used
it to plumb the house. Who knows??

Posted to alt.home.repair

Limp Arbor wrote the following:
On Feb 12, 2:24 pm, krw wrote:

I have a leak in the drain line from one of the upstairs bathrooms in
a wall in the kitchen. Without opening the wall, my guess is that the
screw that holds the wire shelves in the kitchen was put where it
shouldn't have been. Is there an easy way to repair a hole (#8 screw,
perhaps) in PVC pipe? If this is the issue, a small hole and a repair
isn't going to be a real big deal. If I have to cut a section of pipe
out and fit new it may be. The pipe goes into the concrete slab about
2' below where I think the leak is. Thanks.

If you are sure it is the screw...

Remove the offending screw and go to either Wendy's or McDonalds for
lunch, not Burger King. Get an extra straw.

Not that I agree with your method, but why do you need to buy lunch?
Just walk in, grab a straw from the straw dispenser, and walk out.

snip

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to alt.home.repair

krw wrote:
I have a leak in the drain line from one of the upstairs bathrooms in
a wall in the kitchen. Without opening the wall, my guess is that the
screw that holds the wire shelves in the kitchen was put where it
shouldn't have been. Is there an easy way to repair a hole (#8 screw,
perhaps) in PVC pipe? If this is the issue, a small hole and a repair
isn't going to be a real big deal. If I have to cut a section of pipe
out and fit new it may be. The pipe goes into the concrete slab about
2' below where I think the leak is. Thanks.

coat the screw with silicone and reinstall it. done.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 12, 1:24*pm, krw wrote:
I have a leak in the drain line from one of the upstairs bathrooms in
a wall in the kitchen. *Without opening the wall, my guess is that the
screw that holds the wire shelves in the kitchen was put where it
shouldn't have been. *Is there an easy way to repair a hole (#8 screw,
perhaps) in PVC pipe? *If this is the issue, a small hole and a repair
isn't going to be a real big deal. *If I have to cut a section of pipe
out and fit new it may be. *The pipe goes into the concrete slab about
2' below where I think the leak is. Thanks.

dont know if you fixed it yet but i repaired a pvc waste pipe that was
leaking at one of the glue joints with elmers epoxy glue, the bottle
has a blue bull on it. it dries hard as a rock never cracked or
leaked.. been 2 and half years now.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 17 Feb 2010 12:59:33 -0800 (PST), auggie
wrote:

On Feb 12, 1:24Â*pm, krw wrote:
I have a leak in the drain line from one of the upstairs bathrooms in
a wall in the kitchen. Â*Without opening the wall, my guess is that the
screw that holds the wire shelves in the kitchen was put where it
shouldn't have been. Â*Is there an easy way to repair a hole (#8 screw,
perhaps) in PVC pipe? Â*If this is the issue, a small hole and a repair
isn't going to be a real big deal. Â*If I have to cut a section of pipe
out and fit new it may be. Â*The pipe goes into the concrete slab about
2' below where I think the leak is. Thanks.

dont know if you fixed it yet but i repaired a pvc waste pipe that was
leaking at one of the glue joints with elmers epoxy glue, the bottle
has a blue bull on it. it dries hard as a rock never cracked or
leaked.. been 2 and half years now.

I've repaired a leaky DVW pipe with a couple coats of PVC glue - it
"solvent welds" the crack closed just like assembling fittings.

WC overflow going into a sink waste-pipe, soil pipe or shower cubicle? James B UK diy 14 May 19th 07 02:06 PM
Leak of handbasin waste after reassembly Jack Fate UK diy 6 May 11th 07 08:55 PM
shower waste leak Jc UK diy 4 April 9th 06 08:08 PM
Pop Up Waste Lever Leak thescullster UK diy 2 August 12th 04 08:43 AM
Joining Plastic Waste pipe to Lead pipe tinklemagoo UK diy 3 February 19th 04 05:34 AM