Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jc

Default shower waste leak

I've just noticed that my 2 year old shower is leaking from the waste
(proven not to be from elsewhere). I suspect the joints just need
tigtening.The problem is, I cant access the waste now.

The tray sits on the chipboard floor. Its a long tray, and if I cut a
hole in the floor ouside the shower, I wont be able to reach the joints
to tighten them. I tried stretching my arms to no avail To go in
from the side looks impossible as the joists run paralell to the
direction of the tray, and I wont be able to get to the trap through
the joist.

Has anyone invented a sealer that can be poured down the waste and seal
the leak? Radweld style?

Jc

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Richard

Is the shower up stairs or down stairs?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil Anthropist

"Jc" wrote:
I've just noticed that my 2 year old shower is leaking from the waste
(proven not to be from elsewhere). I suspect the joints just need
tigtening.The problem is, I cant access the waste now.

The tray sits on the chipboard floor. Its a long tray, and if I cut a
hole in the floor ouside the shower, I wont be able to reach the joints
to tighten them. I tried stretching my arms to no avail To go in
from the side looks impossible as the joists run paralell to the
direction of the tray, and I wont be able to get to the trap through
the joist.

Has anyone invented a sealer that can be poured down the waste and seal
the leak? Radweld style?

Jc

It sounds like it's either remove the shower tray to repair the leak and
replace damaged chipboard floor area if necessary, or if it is an upstairs
shower, and there is access to the ceiling directly below, access it via
that route. Which option will cause the less damage and disruption?

Phil
----

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jc

Its upstairs. The ceiling route is the easiest to me, but my wife
would prefer to knock holes in the outside wall b ehine and under the
shower so as not to spoil the ceiling! Sigh!

Ta

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil Anthropist

"Jc" wrote:
Its upstairs. The ceiling route is the easiest to me, but my wife
would prefer to knock holes in the outside wall b ehine and under the
shower so as not to spoil the ceiling! Sigh!

Ta

If the external wall is a cavity wall then it will be about 25cm (10 inches)
thick. How far is the leaking plumbing from the inside wall? Will your arms
be long enough to reach through a hole in the cavity wall to use any
necessary tools at the site of the leak, assuming this could be a two-handed
job? It's your house, but knocking a hole through an external wall to reach
the plumbing from a shower tray sounds barmy to me!

Shower waste problem alexbartman UK diy 1 March 30th 05 10:09 AM
Adding a vent to my shop's waste line when putting in a shower [email protected] Home Repair 5 March 14th 05 10:13 PM
Shower Pump Martin UK diy 2 January 26th 04 10:23 PM
Grooveless shower head pipe? Robert Schultz Home Repair 3 January 3rd 04 04:40 AM
Thermostatic or electric shower from combi Enoesque UK diy 27 October 8th 03 11:53 AM