Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cooper pipe bending limits

Joe wrote in news:a9708303-e56b-490b-a562-bd8fc3d45bf2
@c4g2000yqa.googlegroups.com:

On Feb 10, 12:55*am, Zootal wrote:
So I'm installing 1/2 and 3/4 copper water pipe, city water, ~60psi.
Question - how much can you safely bend the pipe without risk of future
failure?

If bending is that much of a concern, why not just use PEX? You'll get
the job done in less time, too.

Joe

Sharkbites cost WAY too much, so much that they offset the high cost of the
copper, and I don't know of any other way to make the connections (IANAP).
I don't trust them not to leak at some time in the future. I'm old
fashioned and want metal - solid metal - in my walls. Something soldered
together that will outlast the life of this old house :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Zootal wrote:

Joe wrote in news:a9708303-e56b-490b-a562-bd8fc3d45bf2
@c4g2000yqa.googlegroups.com:

On Feb 10, 12:55 am, Zootal wrote:
So I'm installing 1/2 and 3/4 copper water pipe, city water, ~60psi.
Question - how much can you safely bend the pipe without risk of future
failure?

If bending is that much of a concern, why not just use PEX? You'll get
the job done in less time, too.

Joe

Sharkbites cost WAY too much, so much that they offset the high cost of the
copper, and I don't know of any other way to make the connections (IANAP).
I don't trust them not to leak at some time in the future. I'm old
fashioned and want metal - solid metal - in my walls. Something soldered
together that will outlast the life of this old house :-)

Sharkbites have nothing to do with PEX.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Pete C. wrote the following:
Zootal wrote:

Joe wrote in news:a9708303-e56b-490b-a562-bd8fc3d45bf2
@c4g2000yqa.googlegroups.com:

On Feb 10, 12:55 am, Zootal wrote:

So I'm installing 1/2 and 3/4 copper water pipe, city water, ~60psi.
Question - how much can you safely bend the pipe without risk of future
failure?

If bending is that much of a concern, why not just use PEX? You'll get
the job done in less time, too.

Joe

Sharkbites cost WAY too much, so much that they offset the high cost of the
copper, and I don't know of any other way to make the connections (IANAP).
I don't trust them not to leak at some time in the future. I'm old
fashioned and want metal - solid metal - in my walls. Something soldered
together that will outlast the life of this old house :-)

Sharkbites have nothing to do with PEX.

Really? Then why do they sell them for PEX?
http://www.pexsupply.com/SharkBite-P...ittings-588000

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

willshak wrote:

Pete C. wrote the following:
Zootal wrote:

[...]

They sell them for people who don't know how to use a crimper and the
normal PEX fittings.
Posted to alt.home.repair

So I'm installing 1/2 and 3/4 copper water pipe, city water, ~60psi.
Question - how much can you safely bend the pipe without risk of future
failure?

I used some of those Shark Bite things to repair a 3/4" line at my cabin
that was in a hard to get to location. I was skeptical, but after using
them, and it holding for over a year now, I'm sold on them. A little
spendy, but when you have an odd spot, it's Tinker Toy simple. Bing, bang,
boom. Done.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in
:

So I'm installing 1/2 and 3/4 copper water pipe, city water, ~60psi.
Question - how much can you safely bend the pipe without risk of
future failure?

I used some of those Shark Bite things to repair a 3/4" line at my
cabin that was in a hard to get to location. I was skeptical, but
after using them, and it holding for over a year now, I'm sold on
them. A little spendy, but when you have an odd spot, it's Tinker Toy
simple. Bing, bang, boom. Done.

Steve

Twenty years from now I'm going to be a plumber. And I'm going to get
filthy stinking rich replacing all of those sharkbite fittings that
people installed twenty years ago cause they are all gonna leak
bwahahahaha...

Seriously - people are relying on a rubber o-ring to make a seal, and
they are going to seal this in a wall??? Know what rubber o-rings do
after 20 years or so? The more I look into PEX, the more I like it and
the less I like the sharkbite fittings.

Using pressboard for exterior siding was a great idea also. Until it
started to disentegrate ...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Zootal wrote:
So I'm installing 1/2 and 3/4 copper water pipe, city water, ~60psi.
Question - how much can you safely bend the pipe without risk of
future failure?

You can bend soft copper as long as it doesn't kink. It is not code to heat hard
copper to get it to bend, as I understand it, and it won't bend well without
that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 10, 1:55*am, Zootal wrote:
So I'm installing 1/2 and 3/4 copper water pipe, city water, ~60psi.
Question - how much can you safely bend the pipe without risk of future
failure?

You should NOT be bending 1/2 or 3/4 copper piping... You need to
route
the piping by using the proper pipe fittings...

Bending piping weakens it and with the quality of water and the amount
of
chemicals in it, you don't want to create a weak point where it will
fail as
it begins to corrode on the inside... Also you want to take care not
to use
too much flux before you solder, any solder that gets INSIDE the pipes
will
pit the inner surface of the pipe and create a spot which will fail in
the future...

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/10/2010 12:24 AM Stepfann King spake thus:

Zootal wrote in
. 97.131:

So I'm installing 1/2 and 3/4 copper water pipe, city water, ~60psi.
Question - how much can you safely bend the pipe without risk of future
failure?

247 degrees.

Nah, you're all mixed up; that's the maximum *temperature* of water you
can run through the pipes.

- a Usenet "apology"
Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

David Nebenzahl wrote in
.com:

On 2/10/2010 12:24 AM Stepfann King spake thus:

Zootal wrote in
. 97.131:

So I'm installing 1/2 and 3/4 copper water pipe, city water, ~60psi.
Question - how much can you safely bend the pipe without risk of
future failure?

247 degrees.

Nah, you're all mixed up; that's the maximum *temperature* of water
you can run through the pipes.

Better keep it pressurized. Under "normal" conditions water at 247F (or C,
or even R) would be steam.

Ever had a good steam burn?

--
Best regards
Han

Posted to alt.home.repair

Han wrote:

Better keep it pressurized. Under "normal" conditions water at 247F
(or C, or even R) would be steam.

Ever had a good steam burn?

Kids today, pfft. When I was a boy, we didn't have hot water, so we had to
bathe with the end of a steam nozzle me old man diverted from the boiler.
Sure it'd turn you red and remove some skin, but you sure did get clean!

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/10/2010 3:34 AM, David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 2/10/2010 12:24 AM Stepfann King spake thus:

Zootal wrote in
. 97.131:

So I'm installing 1/2 and 3/4 copper water pipe, city water, ~60psi.
Question - how much can you safely bend the pipe without risk of
future failure?

247 degrees.

Nah, you're all mixed up; that's the maximum *temperature* of water you
can run through the pipes.

Silly that's the maximum velocity of the water..
Posted to alt.home.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote the following:
On 2/10/2010 12:24 AM Stepfann King spake thus:

Zootal wrote in
. 97.131:

So I'm installing 1/2 and 3/4 copper water pipe, city water, ~60psi.
Question - how much can you safely bend the pipe without risk of
future failure?

247 degrees.

Nah, you're all mixed up; that's the maximum *temperature* of water
you can run through the pipes.

No, thats the compass heading of the pipes.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 12:43:27 -0500, willshak
wrote:

David Nebenzahl wrote the following:
On 2/10/2010 12:24 AM Stepfann King spake thus:

Zootal wrote in
. 97.131:

So I'm installing 1/2 and 3/4 copper water pipe, city water, ~60psi.
Question - how much can you safely bend the pipe without risk of
future failure?

247 degrees.

Nah, you're all mixed up; that's the maximum *temperature* of water
you can run through the pipes.

No, thats the compass heading of the pipes.

It's REALLY how many billions the government spent forming committees
to study the problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stepfann King" wrote in message
Zootal wrote in
. 97.131:

So I'm installing 1/2 and 3/4 copper water pipe, city water, ~60psi.
Question - how much can you safely bend the pipe without risk of future
failure?

247 degrees.

Oh man, does that mean I need to unwind my coils?
Mike :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/10/2010 4:12 AM amdx spake thus:

"Stepfann King" wrote in message

Zootal wrote in
. 97.131:

So I'm installing 1/2 and 3/4 copper water pipe, city water, ~60psi.
Question - how much can you safely bend the pipe without risk of future
failure?

247 degrees.

Oh man, does that mean I need to unwind my coils?

Nope. Just watch out for them revenooers ...

- a Usenet "apology"
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stepfann King wrote in
:

Zootal wrote in
. 97.131:

So I'm installing 1/2 and 3/4 copper water pipe, city water, ~60psi.
Question - how much can you safely bend the pipe without risk of future
failure?

247 degrees.

What radius?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Zootal" wrote in message
. 97.131...
Stepfann King wrote in
:

Zootal wrote in
. 97.131:

So I'm installing 1/2 and 3/4 copper water pipe, city water, ~60psi.
Question - how much can you safely bend the pipe without risk of future
failure?

247 degrees.

What radius?

Let me say that I do not know. I cannot give you a definite answer, but the
variables a diameter of the tubing; copper alloy you want to bend; if
you fill the copper with sand or not; if you pressurize it or not;
temperature of the copper; type of bender; whether it is a plain one die
bender or one with a mandrel (two piece); how fast you make the bend; and a
couple of other things.

I'd Google and get some copper suppliers and people who really do this a
lot, and use their answers.

For most home repair apps, a simple bender is better than no bender. But
the technique will affect the results greatly.

Lastly, how critical of an application is this? IIRC, you did say it was
for 60 # water line. Make your radii as big as you can, even if it means
adjusting elsewhere for the bend. If you just really have to have a tight
90, buy a compression fitting or sweat a 90 on there.

Get some scrap and play with it. Realize the scrap may not have the same
properties as new, but it will give you an idea about the failure points.
I'd do it in a warm room, and not a cold garage, or outside in the snow.
Use a heat lamp or similar to warm the copper before bending.

HTH

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

So I'm installing 1/2 and 3/4 copper water pipe, city water, ~60psi.
Question - how much can you safely bend the pipe without risk of future
failure?

Seems you re still in the planning stage..If you want to BEND, drop the
copper and use PEX..

Faster & cheaper and IMO better

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Rudy" wrote in news:aD2en.44952$4p5.9456
@newsfe22.iad:

So I'm installing 1/2 and 3/4 copper water pipe, city water, ~60psi.
Question - how much can you safely bend the pipe without risk of future
failure?

Seems you re still in the planning stage..If you want to BEND, drop the
copper and use PEX..

Faster & cheaper and IMO better

It's not cheaper when you factor in the price of connectors, at least not
the job I'm doing. I was considering PEX and then they showed me the
seriously holy crud overpriced connectors. I decided to use copper instead.

I'm still not sold on PEX. The tubing may be good, but I have yet to see a
connector I trust. Sharkbites use rubber o-rings to make the seal. Know
what happens to rubber o-rings after 10-20 years? My copper will be sound
when the rubber o-rings have disintegraged and the sharkbites are all
leaking :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Zootal" wrote in message
Sharkbites use rubber o-rings to make the seal. Know
what happens to rubber o-rings after 10-20 years?

In my experience, they stay in place and continue to seal. If you take them
apart they usually have to be replaced though.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in
:

"Zootal" wrote in message
Sharkbites use rubber o-rings to make the seal. Know
what happens to rubber o-rings after 10-20 years?

In my experience, they stay in place and continue to seal. If you
take them apart they usually have to be replaced though.

They haven't been around long enough for anyone to really know for sure
what will happen in 20 years. I hope I'm wrong, but it just seems to me to
be really stupid to put something in a wall that uses a rubber o-ring to
make a seal. I've got connectors here and there like this (that use a
rubber o-ring to make a seal), mostly for my well and garden, and they all
have one thing in common - they all leak after a while.

Time will tell - I'm still thining of becoming a plumber in 10-15 years.
Just in case I'm right :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 15, 1:04*am, Zootal wrote:
[...]

LOL... The cost of PEX isn't in the tubing or the end adapter for the
copper
pipe stub at the fixture, it is entire with the TOOLS you need to work
with it...

You need a special tubing cutter to make cuts that are just right...
You need
the tubing expander to stretch the tubing to insert the end
fittings...

If you are making connections of PEX tubing INSIDE your walls you are
missing
the point, PEX is supposed to be run in an unbroken manner from
distribution
manifold to the fixture connection without any breaks or connections
to extend
the length of the tubing run inside the walls... PEX is supposed to
be run as if
you were pulling communications wiring in a homerun or "star
topography", and
NOT in the same manner you would run copper pipes from device to
device...

~~ Evan

flexible copper pipe "plumb sticks" or pipe bending Fred UK diy 24 June 16th 17 10:17 PM
Bending Pipe 360 Zipper Metalworking 1 June 12th 05 04:53 AM
Bending Pipe Don Metalworking 11 February 9th 05 07:15 AM
Forced Hot Water Heating System: What Temp Limits,, And What Should Pressure Be At Limits ? m Ransley Home Repair 1 September 21st 04 10:17 PM
Pipe Bending TOGGY UK diy 56 May 25th 04 10:05 PM