Posted to alt.home.repair
rb rb is offline

Default what kind of material do I need?

Need to figure out identification of materials which will enable me to cut
some figures from stuff with tin snips. Need following:

1. Something in 4'x4' sizes, or board lengths.

2. Can snip it OK with tin snips.

3. Inexpensive

4. 3/8" thickness for one size

5. 1/16" or slightly thinnner for another size.

What I have to do is shape and put together some things which will hold
stuff together over doors, etc (I have magnets which I need to match up
fitting on doors that are uneven).

Posted to alt.home.repair

"rb" wrote in message
Need to figure out identification of materials which will enable me to cut
some figures from stuff with tin snips. Need following:

1. Something in 4'x4' sizes, or board lengths.

2. Can snip it OK with tin snips.

3. Inexpensive

4. 3/8" thickness for one size

5. 1/16" or slightly thinnner for another size.

What I have to do is shape and put together some things which will hold
stuff together over doors, etc (I have magnets which I need to match up
fitting on doors that are uneven).

Find a place that sells metals and look at "paint lock". It comes in sheets
of various sizes, and it is easy to cut with Wiss snips. It has a rust
protectorant on it, which also doubles as a primer to which spray paint will
hold with great tenacity. It will be cheaper by the sheet, and comes in 4'
x 10' sheets. IIRC, it is 22 or 26 ga. and a 4' x 8' sheet is about $20.
The metal place can shear it for you, too, but that is a little spendy. You
can cut it with a circular saw and a metal cutting blade, it's just
horrendously loud, sparky, dusty, and a very high eye hazard.
But it is good ****.

I am going to make some fake ocotillo cactuses, as seen on the Interstate at
the Cheyenne and Lake Mead Exits in Las Vegas. Simple 1" rebar for the
canes, then plasma cut sheet metal for the flowers. Absolutely simple, and
without taking a second look, looks like the real thing. Just have to
locate me a plasma cutter who will do about 500 of the little things for a
reasonable price.

Sometimes the suppliers have "drops" or "rems", meaning the leftovers, and
some of them sell them very cheap. Avoid the shiny galvanized, as paint
does not stick to it very well at all, and it will peel quickly.

You'll not cut the 3/8 with snips. You will have to have a torch, sub it
out to someone with a torch, or find someone with a CNC plasma cutter, and
that is both the best way to go, and the priciest. But you do get exact
duplicates of the sample.

Or just buy yourself a plasma cutter and compressor and stuff for $2500. Or
get a PlasmaCam setup for about $20,000.

HTH

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote:

-snip-

I am going to make some fake ocotillo cactuses, as seen on the Interstate at
the Cheyenne and Lake Mead Exits in Las Vegas. Simple 1" rebar for the
canes, then plasma cut sheet metal for the flowers. Absolutely simple, and
without taking a second look, looks like the real thing. Just have to
locate me a plasma cutter who will do about 500 of the little things for a
reasonable price.

Build your own for $260-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuSqlZe9HYU

Way out of my league-- but it looks like something you could do. [and
use]

Seems like I saw a DIY one that ran off a graphics program a couple
years ago-- but I might have dreamed that part.

Jim