Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Need a little plumbing advice please.

I just installed a new 'shutoff' valve on my house water supply line.

I'm using 3/4" PVC pipe, so I got a threaded, PVC adapter with a male
thread that screws into the shutoff valve and the PVC pipe glues into
the female side of the adapter.

OK, so I get 50' of pipe all glued together and connected to the water
meter and slowly open the valve on the water meter. Well, I have a
slight leak which appears to be from where the threaded adapter screws
into my new shutoff valve.

Should I have used teflon tape on the thread? Or should I have used
the PVC glue?

TIA

Lewis.

*****
Posted to alt.home.repair

My boss taught me to teflon tape the male threads, and then
paint on Rectorseal #5 onto the male threads. That has
worked for me. It sounds like you'll have to cut the PVC,
dope the thread, and then use a coupler to put the PVC back.

I'm sad for the extra work.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
My boss taught me to teflon tape the male threads, and then
paint on Rectorseal #5 onto the male threads.

Isn't it RectalSeal?
--
EA

.

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

What did you put on it? Nothing? I would probably have used teflon tape,
as I have done in the past on similar app;ications with good results.
Others in here may have different ideas of what is best. Larry

Posted to alt.home.repair

Soundhaspriority wrote:

Plastic pipe on a service entrance?

You should have called a plumber. We'll all be interested to hear how
destructive the flood is when it fails, you stupid cocksucker.

"I don't really have a replacement career, it's a very gnawing thing."

Bob Morein
(215) 646-4894

Hmm. My home has about 50' of plastic pipe from the water main and meter to
the house. It's been in place since 1965 without a problem. In fact, my
entire subdivision is configured the same way. When this area was developed,
it was the largest subdivision in Texas and second only (I think) to
Levitown in the nation.

Haven't seen a geyser yet.

As an aside, I don't think plumbing is your strong suit; best stick to HVAC.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 26, 10:45*pm, "Bob F" wrote:
wrote:
I just installed a new 'shutoff' valve on my house water supply line.

I'm using 3/4" PVC pipe, so I got a threaded, PVC adapter with a male
thread that screws into the shutoff valve and the PVC pipe glues into
the female side of the adapter.

OK, so I get 50' of pipe all glued together and connected to the water
meter and slowly open the valve on the water meter. *Well, I have a
slight leak which appears to be from where the threaded adapter screws
into my new shutoff valve.

Should I have used teflon tape on the thread? *Or should I have used
the PVC glue?

PVC rated pipe dope.

Agree, I tend to cross thread PVC into metal when I use it with tape.

Jimmie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 26, 10:45*pm, JIMMIE wrote:
On Jan 26, 10:45*pm, "Bob F" wrote:

wrote:
I just installed a new 'shutoff' valve on my house water supply line.

I'm using 3/4" PVC pipe, so I got a threaded, PVC adapter with a male
thread that screws into the shutoff valve and the PVC pipe glues into
the female side of the adapter.

OK, so I get 50' of pipe all glued together and connected to the water
meter and slowly open the valve on the water meter. *Well, I have a
slight leak which appears to be from where the threaded adapter screws
into my new shutoff valve.

Should I have used teflon tape on the thread? *Or should I have used
the PVC glue?

PVC rated pipe dope.

Agree, I tend to cross thread PVC into metal when I use it with tape.

Jimmie

Thanks and thanks to all of you.

I used Teflon tape and it seems to be fixed now.

Kind regards.

Lewis.

*****