Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Need a little plumbing advice please.

I just installed a new 'shutoff' valve on my house water supply line.

I'm using 3/4" PVC pipe, so I got a threaded, PVC adapter with a male
thread that screws into the shutoff valve and the PVC pipe glues into
the female side of the adapter.

OK, so I get 50' of pipe all glued together and connected to the water
meter and slowly open the valve on the water meter. Well, I have a
slight leak which appears to be from where the threaded adapter screws
into my new shutoff valve.

Should I have used teflon tape on the thread? Or should I have used
the PVC glue?

TIA

Lewis.

*****
Posted to alt.home.repair

My boss taught me to teflon tape the male threads, and then
paint on Rectorseal #5 onto the male threads. That has
worked for me. It sounds like you'll have to cut the PVC,
dope the thread, and then use a coupler to put the PVC back.

I'm sad for the extra work.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
My boss taught me to teflon tape the male threads, and then
paint on Rectorseal #5 onto the male threads.

Isn't it RectalSeal?
--
EA

.

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

What did you put on it? Nothing? I would probably have used teflon tape,
as I have done in the past on similar app;ications with good results.
Others in here may have different ideas of what is best. Larry

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 26, 10:45*pm, "Bob F" wrote:
wrote:
I just installed a new 'shutoff' valve on my house water supply line.

I'm using 3/4" PVC pipe, so I got a threaded, PVC adapter with a male
thread that screws into the shutoff valve and the PVC pipe glues into
the female side of the adapter.

OK, so I get 50' of pipe all glued together and connected to the water
meter and slowly open the valve on the water meter. *Well, I have a
slight leak which appears to be from where the threaded adapter screws
into my new shutoff valve.

Should I have used teflon tape on the thread? *Or should I have used
the PVC glue?

PVC rated pipe dope.

Agree, I tend to cross thread PVC into metal when I use it with tape.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 26, 10:45*pm, JIMMIE wrote:
On Jan 26, 10:45*pm, "Bob F" wrote:

wrote:
I just installed a new 'shutoff' valve on my house water supply line.

I'm using 3/4" PVC pipe, so I got a threaded, PVC adapter with a male
thread that screws into the shutoff valve and the PVC pipe glues into
the female side of the adapter.

OK, so I get 50' of pipe all glued together and connected to the water
meter and slowly open the valve on the water meter. *Well, I have a
slight leak which appears to be from where the threaded adapter screws
into my new shutoff valve.

Should I have used teflon tape on the thread? *Or should I have used
the PVC glue?

PVC rated pipe dope.

Agree, I tend to cross thread PVC into metal when I use it with tape.

Jimmie

Thanks and thanks to all of you.

I used Teflon tape and it seems to be fixed now.

Kind regards.

Lewis.

*****