Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Load Snow Blower into SUV

Any suggestions on a ramp solution to load a snow blower into an SUV? At 170
pounds I'm just not up to picking it up, hahahaha. I've verified it will fit
with the handle collapsed and the blower chute removed.

Any suggestions on cheap ramp solutions?

Thanks,
Bernie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 3 Jan 2010 17:52:27 -0500, "Bernie Hunt"
wrote:

Any suggestions on a ramp solution to load a snow blower into an SUV? At 170
pounds I'm just not up to picking it up, hahahaha. I've verified it will fit
with the handle collapsed and the blower chute removed.

Any suggestions on cheap ramp solutions?

Thanks,
Bernie

a couple of 2x12's, the longer the better.
Posted to alt.home.repair

My concern is where they hit the truck. For safety they will need to hange
over the edge of the back bumper by a couple of inches. No problem when
enough to get the weight on to them? As the blower rolls backwards I think
the wheels will just push the 2x's rather than rolling over them.

wrote:

Any suggestions on a ramp solution to load a snow blower into an SUV? At
170
pounds I'm just not up to picking it up, hahahaha. I've verified it will
fit
with the handle collapsed and the blower chute removed.

Any suggestions on cheap ramp solutions?

Thanks,
Bernie

a couple of 2x12's, the longer the better.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 3 Jan 2010 18:03:48 -0500, "Bernie Hunt"
wrote:

My concern is where they hit the truck. For safety they will need to hange
over the edge of the back bumper by a couple of inches. No problem when
enough to get the weight on to them? As the blower rolls backwards I think
the wheels will just push the 2x's rather than rolling over them.

.. .
wrote:

Any suggestions on a ramp solution to load a snow blower into an SUV? At
170
pounds I'm just not up to picking it up, hahahaha. I've verified it will
fit
with the handle collapsed and the blower chute removed.

Any suggestions on cheap ramp solutions?

Thanks,
Bernie

a couple of 2x12's, the longer the better.

Fasten a couple of approx 1' x 1' pieces of sheet metal to the tops
of the 2x12 so the wheels roll onto the sheet metal before hitting the
wood ramp; should keep it from slipping out.

Or... my store bought ramps have small chains on them that clip onto
the hasp for the door lock to keep the ramps tight to the truck.

HTH,

Paul F.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bernie Hunt wrote:
My concern is where they hit the truck. For safety they will need to
hange over the edge of the back bumper by a couple of inches. No
problem when loading in. But unloading, how do I keep them attached
to the SUV long enough to get the weight on to them? As the blower
rolls backwards I think the wheels will just push the 2x's rather
than rolling over them.

..Mosr bumpers these days are urethane plastic. Just nail into it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bernie Hunt wrote:
Any suggestions on a ramp solution to load a snow blower into an SUV? At 170
pounds I'm just not up to picking it up, hahahaha. I've verified it will fit
with the handle collapsed and the blower chute removed.

Any suggestions on cheap ramp solutions?

Thanks,
Bernie

a couple of 2x6's would do that amount easily. try not to over engineer
the project.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bernie Hunt" wrote in
:

My concern is where they hit the truck. For safety they will need to
hange over the edge of the back bumper by a couple of inches. No
problem when loading in. But unloading, how do I keep them attached to
the SUV long enough to get the weight on to them? As the blower rolls

wrote:

Any suggestions on a ramp solution to load a snow blower into an SUV?
At 170
pounds I'm just not up to picking it up, hahahaha. I've verified it
will fit
with the handle collapsed and the blower chute removed.

Any suggestions on cheap ramp solutions?

Thanks,
Bernie

a couple of 2x12's, the longer the better.

Buy or make something like:

http://autoanything.com/images/produ...k_ramp_kit.jpg

http://www.carriers4cycles.com/cycle...ampBracket.gif

Put on 2x12's as suggested.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bernie Hunt wrote:

Any suggestions on a ramp solution to load a snow blower into an SUV? At 170
pounds I'm just not up to picking it up, hahahaha. I've verified it will fit
with the handle collapsed and the blower chute removed.

Any suggestions on cheap ramp solutions?

Thanks,
Bernie

"Ramparts" extruded aluminum ramp ends that attach to some 2x12s. Can
find them at Depot, Lowe's, auto parts, etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair
tom tom is offline

wrote:

Any suggestions on a ramp solution to load a snow blower into an SUV? At
170
pounds I'm just not up to picking it up, hahahaha. I've verified it will
fit
with the handle collapsed and the blower chute removed.

Any suggestions on cheap ramp solutions?

Thanks,
Bernie

a couple of 2x12's, the longer the better.

I use a couple 2x8's with these brackets. I beveled the ground end of the
2x8's for easier loading. I mixed up some primer and very fine sand to paint
the 2x8's for traction. This works fine for me to load\drive my snow blower
up into and out of my pickup truck.

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdet...nneli d=FROOG

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Any suggestions on a ramp solution to load a snow blower into an SUV? At
170
pounds I'm just not up to picking it up, hahahaha. I've verified it will
fit
with the handle collapsed and the blower chute removed.

Any suggestions on cheap ramp solutions?

Thanks,
Bernie

a couple of 2x12's, the longer the better.

When I brought mine home in my minivan, I jammed the low end of the
ramps in a wide crack in the driveway. (2x8s from an old waterbed frame
I trashpicked- knew I saved them for something.) I also picked my spot
on the driveway halfway up the slope so that the ramps would be almost
horizontal. If your driveway is crack-free, maybe a couple long spikes
into the crack between driveway and garage apron? Or some long 2x4s up
against the tires of your other car? You don't need much.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bernie Hunt wrote the following:
Any suggestions on a ramp solution to load a snow blower into an SUV? At 170
pounds I'm just not up to picking it up, hahahaha. I've verified it will fit
with the handle collapsed and the blower chute removed.

Any suggestions on cheap ramp solutions?

Thanks,
Bernie

Is this something that you may have to do often, like taking the blower
over to Mom's house after every snowfall?
If so, you may want to invest in a set of ramps especially designed for
that use. They can also be used to slide that large appliance into the SUV.
http://www.jcwhitney.com/jcwhitney/t...uestid=2149634

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bernie Hunt" wrote in message
Any suggestions on a ramp solution to load a snow blower into an SUV? At
170 pounds I'm just not up to picking it up, hahahaha. I've verified it
will fit with the handle collapsed and the blower chute removed.

Any suggestions on cheap ramp solutions?

Thanks,
Bernie

It is 10 degrees so there will be no pictures.

I built a home made ramp to load and unload about the same weight in the
form of a shredder.

I used 2 2x4 about 60" long with angle cuts so that the vertical cut
matched the bumper. That was 45 degrees or less. And a horizontal cut at
the ground to seat it flat 120+ degrees.

Added a piece of 1/2" plywood (width about 6-8" greater than your wheel
span) keeping the 2xs no more than 24" apart. Mine are not at the edge of
the board.

The final step is to add 2 4x4 or 5x5 angle irons to the exposed vertical
edge (bumper part) of the 2x4. The one side of the angle is securely
attached to the 2x and the other can rest on the bed of your truck. This way
you have no hump to jump when rolling on or off.

That was 10 years ago and the shredder is long since gone but my back still
enjoys the use of the ramp when I need to mow a rental property lawn and
don't have a helper to load the mower.

We used that ramp this summer to load a 6 cubic foot wheelbarrow full of
dirt and almost full of rock quite a few times.

I will try to remember to write this up as an article when I can take
pictures (think Spring).
--
Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Any suggestions on a ramp solution to load a snow blower into an
SUV? At 170
pounds I'm just not up to picking it up, hahahaha. I've verified it
will fit
with the handle collapsed and the blower chute removed.

Any suggestions on cheap ramp solutions?

Thanks,
Bernie

a couple of 2x12's, the longer the better.

I use a couple 2x8's with these brackets. I beveled the ground end of
the 2x8's for easier loading. I mixed up some primer and very fine
sand to paint the 2x8's for traction.

Or some of that stair tread grit tape for the la-de-da version.

This works fine for me to
load\drive my snow blower up into and out of my pickup truck.

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdet...oductid=RAMP1&
channelid=FROOG

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Any suggestions on a ramp solution to load a snow blower into an
SUV? At 170
pounds I'm just not up to picking it up, hahahaha. I've verified
it will fit
with the handle collapsed and the blower chute removed.

Any suggestions on cheap ramp solutions?

Thanks,
Bernie

a couple of 2x12's, the longer the better.

I use a couple 2x8's with these brackets. I beveled the ground end of
the 2x8's for easier loading. I mixed up some primer and very fine
sand to paint the 2x8's for traction. This works fine for me to
load\drive my snow blower up into and out of my pickup truck.

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdet...nneli d=FROOG

Lowes sells those ramp brackets. About $20.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yes. I also need to take the ramps with me to unload at the other end.

The pet ramp on that page actually looks interesting. I'll have to measure
the wheel base to make sure. If I use it's drive to walk it up I think I
could make that steep incline.I'll have to pursue that idea some more.

Bernie

Is this something that you may have to do often, like taking the blower
over to Mom's house after every snowfall?
If so, you may want to invest in a set of ramps especially designed for
that use. They can also be used to slide that large appliance into the
SUV.
http://www.jcwhitney.com/jcwhitney/t...uestid=2149634

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683

Posted to alt.home.repair

Pete,

Do you know what department they are in at Lowes?

Thanks,
Bernie

"Pete C." wrote in message
ter.com...

Bernie Hunt wrote:

Any suggestions on a ramp solution to load a snow blower into an SUV? At
170
pounds I'm just not up to picking it up, hahahaha. I've verified it will
fit
with the handle collapsed and the blower chute removed.

Any suggestions on cheap ramp solutions?

Thanks,
Bernie

"Ramparts" extruded aluminum ramp ends that attach to some 2x12s. Can
find them at Depot, Lowe's, auto parts, etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bernie Hunt" wrote in
:

Pete,

Do you know what department they are in at Lowes?

Thanks,
Bernie

"Pete C." wrote in message
ter.com...

Bernie Hunt wrote:

Any suggestions on a ramp solution to load a snow blower into an
SUV? At 170
pounds I'm just not up to picking it up, hahahaha. I've verified it
will fit
with the handle collapsed and the blower chute removed.

Any suggestions on cheap ramp solutions?

Thanks,
Bernie

"Ramparts" extruded aluminum ramp ends that attach to some 2x12s. Can
find them at Depot, Lowe's, auto parts, etc.

Why not just ask one of their knowledgeable sales people? :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Any suggestions on a ramp solution to load a snow blower into an SUV? At 170
pounds I'm just not up to picking it up, hahahaha. I've verified it will fit
with the handle collapsed and the blower chute removed.

Any suggestions on cheap ramp solutions?

Thanks,
Bernie

I have a trailer hitch on my PT Cruiser and a platform that fits on
the hitch. Mine doesn't pivot, but ones that do are available. Tilt,
load, and latch.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bernie Hunt" wrote in message
Pete,

Do you know what department they are in at Lowes?

Thanks,
Bernie

"Pete C." wrote in message
ter.com...

Bernie Hunt wrote:

Any suggestions on a ramp solution to load a snow blower into an SUV? At
170
pounds I'm just not up to picking it up, hahahaha. I've verified it will
fit
with the handle collapsed and the blower chute removed.

Any suggestions on cheap ramp solutions?

Thanks,
Bernie

"Ramparts" extruded aluminum ramp ends that attach to some 2x12s. Can
find them at Depot, Lowe's, auto parts, etc.

Probably right next to the lawn equiptment you might need to load...Just a
guess...Try their website...

Posted to alt.home.repair

OK, now where do I find one of those? ;}

Why not just ask one of their knowledgeable sales people? :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

My concern is where they hit the truck. For safety they will need to hange
over the edge of the back bumper by a couple of inches. No problem when
enough to get the weight on to them? As the blower rolls backwards I think
the wheels will just push the 2x's rather than rolling over them.

Prop up the back end of the boards on a box, sawhorse, upturned
garbage can, whatever to make them about level. Once you get the
blower out a little ways, remove the prop and lower the board to the
ground. I've done this many times with both my snow blower and my
chipper, which is heavier and doesn't roll as easily. The boards I use
are 10 footers.

.. .
wrote:

Any suggestions on a ramp solution to load a snow blower into an SUV? At
170
pounds I'm just not up to picking it up, hahahaha. I've verified it will
fit
with the handle collapsed and the blower chute removed.

Any suggestions on cheap ramp solutions?

Thanks,
Bernie

a couple of 2x12's, the longer the better.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 03 Jan 2010 17:27:07 -0600, Chris Hill
wrote:

On Sun, 03 Jan 2010 17:58:40 -0500, wrote:

a couple of 2x12's, the longer the better.

Depends on the boards. I tried 2x8 for a similar weighted object, and
they sagged horribly.

I said 2x12, not 2x8. Big difference!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 3, 5:52*pm, "Bernie Hunt" wrote:
Any suggestions on a ramp solution to load a snow blower into an SUV? At 170
pounds I'm just not up to picking it up, hahahaha. I've verified it will fit
with the handle collapsed and the blower chute removed.

Any suggestions on cheap ramp solutions?

Thanks,
Bernie

To make ramps for loading a riding mower into my enclosed trailer, I
screwed a 4 x 4 to the bottom of a 2 x 6, all scrap that I had lying
around. I left enough room at both ends so the the 4 x 4's don't hit
the ground or trailer lip.

I beveled the underside of the ends that hit the ground so that the
wheels don't push the boards when loading, and I rounded the top side
of the ends that are in the trailer so the mower rolls on and off the
ramps smoothly.

With the 4 x 4 attached, there is absolutely no flex in the ramps.

Granted, the lip of my trailer is probably lower than the bumper of
your SUV, but I used the same ramps to load and unload a 100' power
snake in a minivan.

Yes, the ramps weigh a bit more than they need to, but they work and
they were free.
Posted to alt.home.repair

nice ramps at Harbor Freight for around 50 bucks..
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

nice ramps at Harbor Freight for around 50 bucks..

And with a 20% off coupon, only $40. I bought a pair a week ago, nice ramps.

http://www.harborfreight.com/hftusa/...mos/popsci.pdf

Posted to alt.home.repair

Back up to a "snowbank" and run the machine up on it and into the truck

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 3, 4:52�pm, "Bernie Hunt" wrote:
Any suggestions on a ramp solution to load a snow blower into an SUV? At 170
pounds I'm just not up to picking it up, hahahaha. I've verified it will fit
with the handle collapsed and the blower chute removed.

Any suggestions on cheap ramp solutions?

Thanks,
Bernie

I don't know what your bumpers look like exactly, but maybe a wide
angle iron at the bumber end of each 2x12, so the end can fit between
the bumper and the back of the SUV. I would wrap the ends of the
angle, or put a towel or something in that gap to avoid having them
scrape the SUV.

I had ramps similar to the ones a few people posted, but they work
with a pickup more than an SUV.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Jim is offline

On Sun, 03 Jan 2010 17:30:33 -0600, Pete C. wrote:

"Ramparts" extruded aluminum ramp ends that attach to some 2x12s. Can
find them at Depot, Lowe's, auto parts, etc.

They work great. Using 2x12s I can drive my lawn tractor onto the truck
bed. Will clearly handle any snow blower I've ever seen.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Reporting back the solution, in case someone runs across this in the future;

I went with a pair of Black Widow folding alluminum ramps. At 22lbs a piece
they are easy to move around and fold up to fit inside the SUV. They are
load rated at 600lbs each so there's no problem with the weight and I can
walk up them after the blower. I used them in the storm this last week and
they worked out great.

I found them here;
http://www.discountramps.com/dual-runner-atv-ramps.htm
at $170 for the pair delivered.

Thanks to everyone for the help and suggestions.

Bernie

"Bernie Hunt" wrote in message
Any suggestions on a ramp solution to load a snow blower into an SUV? At
170 pounds I'm just not up to picking it up, hahahaha. I've verified it
will fit with the handle collapsed and the blower chute removed.

Any suggestions on cheap ramp solutions?

Thanks,
Bernie

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bernie Hunt" writes:
Reporting back the solution, in case someone runs across this in the future;

I went with a pair of Black Widow folding alluminum ramps. At 22lbs a piece
they are easy to move around and fold up to fit inside the SUV. They are
load rated at 600lbs each so there's no problem with the weight and I can
walk up them after the blower. I used them in the storm this last week and
they worked out great.

I found them here;
http://www.discountramps.com/dual-runner-atv-ramps.htm
at $170 for the pair delivered.

Thanks to everyone for the help and suggestions.

Bernie

I recently had the exact same issue - I needed to bring my way-too-heavy
snowblower back to the shop for a warranty repair.

I considered renting ramps from Home Depot, but eventually went with
these Harbor Freight ramps:
They list for $89 but with 20% off, I ended up getting them for a little
over $70.

The nice thing is that they are tri-fold so that they fold up to a
compact 26" long and include an integral carrying handle.

They are rated at 1000 lbs (500 lb each ramp) vs. 1200 lbs (600 per
ramp) for your model. Also the ramps are a a little shorter and narrower at
75" x 9". Also, a bit heavier at 33lbs each since they are steel.

Quality seems quite good.
Also, just for the metal alone, $70 for 66 lbs of steel seemed like a
good price jk