Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Exhaust fan question

I'm looking to get a new exhaust fan for a 65sq.ft bathroom. I'm
considering a specific fan but it comes with 2 exhaust ducts, 4"or6".
Is there a real difference? Doesn't the motor still draw the same
volume regardless?
Also, with soooo many 'clearing houses' on the Internet these days,
does anyone have experience with a good reputable site. The prices I'm
seeing can be $35 cheaper than Home Depot, Lowe's etc. Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Mc" wrote in message
I'm looking to get a new exhaust fan for a 65sq.ft bathroom. I'm
considering a specific fan but it comes with 2 exhaust ducts, 4"or6". Is
there a real difference? Doesn't the motor still draw the same volume
regardless? Also, with soooo many 'clearing houses' on the Internet these
days, does anyone have experience with a good reputable site. The prices
I'm seeing can be $35 cheaper than Home Depot, Lowe's etc. Thanks.

When you want to return it, will the $35 balance what a pain in the ass it
is to package it up and go to the post office? Also, I've gotten stuff like
that cheaper at local electric supply stores than at the big chains or
online. It's not supposed to be that way, according to myth, but it is. Same
with faucets I've bought at real plumbing supply and bath showrooms.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Mc" wrote in message
I'm looking to get a new exhaust fan for a 65sq.ft bathroom. I'm
considering a specific fan but it comes with 2 exhaust ducts, 4"or6". Is
there a real difference? Doesn't the motor still draw the same volume
regardless? Also, with soooo many 'clearing houses' on the Internet these
days, does anyone have experience with a good reputable site. The prices
I'm seeing can be $35 cheaper than Home Depot, Lowe's etc. Thanks.

Many manufacturers are going from 4" to 6" ducts to keep the units quiet. I
would get a 6" unit, and if you want to use 4" duct, just go to depot and
get a 6 to 4 reducer. The unit will have slightly lower CFM's and produce
slightly more sones. I've bought Broan and Panasonic units from WAM and Wave
Plumbing online sights and will do so in the future without hesitation. The
last unit I got was from Wave Plumbing and saved over $100 over local
suppliers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Mc wrote:
I'm looking to get a new exhaust fan for a 65sq.ft bathroom. I'm
considering a specific fan but it comes with 2 exhaust ducts, 4"or6".
Is there a real difference? Doesn't the motor still draw the same
volume regardless?
Also, with soooo many 'clearing houses' on the Internet these days,
does anyone have experience with a good reputable site. The prices I'm
seeing can be $35 cheaper than Home Depot, Lowe's etc. Thanks.

The 6" can potentially move a hell of a lot more air. Check the cfm
ratings.

I don't know what you are looking at, but Panasonic fans are much quieter
than some of the cheap-o brands around.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 31 2009, 12:47*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
Ed Mc wrote:
I'm looking to get a new exhaust fan for a 65sq.ft bathroom. I'm
considering a specific fan but it comes with 2 exhaust ducts, 4"or6".
Is there a real difference? Doesn't the motor still draw the same
volume regardless?
Also, with soooo many 'clearing houses' on the Internet these days,
does anyone have experience with a good reputable site. The prices I'm
seeing can be $35 cheaper than Home Depot, Lowe's etc. Thanks.

The 6" can potentially move a hell of a lot more air. *Check the cfm
ratings.

I don't know what you are looking at, but Panasonic fans are much quieter
than some of the cheap-o brands around.

The fans that are 6" usually can also be adapted to 4" and the
manufacturer's website should have specs that show how much air it
will move in either case. Then you can decide based on air flow as
well as any installation issues you have with 6 vs 4. I'm also with
Ed on making sound level a top priority. Given all the work
involved, I'd rather spend $75 more and get a nice quiet one instead
of saving a few bucks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Mc wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the replies.... I was considering the Broan, or NuTone,
but looked at the Panasonic as suggested.I found a Panasonic Whisper
Quiet, rated at 0.8 sones,online. Pretty quiet compared to the rest.
It's a 110cfm, paid $108 free shipping. If anyone cares I'll give a
report when it arrives and I install it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Mc wrote:
[...]

Broan and Nutone are the same company. In my opinion, they only make one
model fan that's decent, which is called "ultra silent", and the truth is,
even though it is very quiet and has a really nice blower unit in it, it's
still built into a pos tin foil box, that has no integrity, and unless it's
blocked and screwed to death, will cause vibration noises. You will be very
pleased with the Panasonic, trust me

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 31 Dec 2009 12:47:55 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote:

Ed Mc wrote:
I'm looking to get a new exhaust fan for a 65sq.ft bathroom. I'm
considering a specific fan but it comes with 2 exhaust ducts, 4"or6".
Is there a real difference? Doesn't the motor still draw the same
volume regardless?
Also, with soooo many 'clearing houses' on the Internet these days,
does anyone have experience with a good reputable site. The prices I'm
seeing can be $35 cheaper than Home Depot, Lowe's etc. Thanks.

The 6" can potentially move a hell of a lot more air. Check the cfm
ratings.

I don't know what you are looking at, but Panasonic fans are much quieter
than some of the cheap-o brands around.

I installed an inline Panasonic fan and it is so quiet you need a wall
timer. Came with various mounting hardware, mine sits on a cleat
fastened to a 2x2' ply square.