Chris Malone

Default Exhaust fan / light wiring question

Hi

I purchased a Mistral 6300-0 exhaust fan/light to replace an older
version of the same unit in the bathroom. I'm not sure on the wiring
and was stupid enough not to note the existing setup, which worked
with the exact same make and model fan!!

The fan has four connections marked L, N, F, E (light, neutral, fan,
earth). The neutral is shared by both the light and fan.

A single switch was used to switch both the fan and light at the same
time.

The house wires comprise 3-core flex with an active, neutral and earth
and a separate 2-core active and neutral. The separate active/neutral
is closed (ie shorted) when the switch is in the on position otherwise
an open circuit. I think the 3-core active, neutral, earth has power
at all times (I think).

Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

PS. Product brochure, if required, can be found at
http://alfred.clipsal.com/scripts/ap...ochure&ID=2121

Cheers
Chris Malone
I-zheet M'drurz

Chris Malone wrote:

Hi

I purchased a Mistral 6300-0 exhaust fan/light to replace an
older version of the same unit in the bathroom. I'm not sure on
the wiring and was stupid enough not to note the existing setup,
which worked with the exact same make and model fan!!

The fan has four connections marked L, N, F, E (light, neutral,
fan, earth). The neutral is shared by both the light and fan.

hereafter known as (*F*ixture) FL, FN, FF, FE

A single switch was used to switch both the fan and light at the
same time.

The house wires comprise 3-core flex with an active, neutral and
earth

hereafter known as (*P*ower) PA, PN, PE

and a separate 2-core active and neutral. The separate
active/neutral is closed (ie shorted) when the switch is in the
on position otherwise an open circuit.

hereafter known as (*S*witch) SA and SN

I think the 3-core
active, neutral, earth has power at all times (I think).

THat sounds right.

Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

PE FE

PN FN

FL and FF SA

PA SN

In addition, "Switch Neutral" should be identified by a piece
of black electrical tape or a Black band applied with permanent
marker as a "Black" wire, it is interrupting the hot side of
the circuit which is all black wire. Never get the switch
involved with the White (neutral) side of a circuit. FYI:
the practice of marking the White wire as Black is both OK by
code and considered "good workmanship" by most folks.

--
The real Tom Pendergast [ So if you meet me, have some courtesy,
aka I-zheet M'drurz [ have some sympathy, and some taste.
toller

Australia?
In the US I would say you are confused; the light has no use for an
unswitched hot, so there must be a switch somewhere. But maybe Australian
lights are different.

Dave

This sounds exactly right. However judging by the question, the original
poster would benefit from reading a basic wiring textbook before jumping in.
Don't forget to be sure the ground (PE) is also attached to the box in some
way.

Dave

"I-zheet M'drurz" wrote in message
Chris Malone wrote:

[...]

I-zheet M'drurz

toller wrote:

Australia?
In the US I would say you are confused; the light has no use for
an unswitched hot, so there must be a switch somewhere. But
maybe Australian lights are different.

Think "ceiling fan". It's set up so you can control the light
and fan with 2 separate switches (probably the most common way of
installing it).

But I gotta admit, the way he refered to the wires threw me too!

--
The real Tom Pendergast [ So if you meet me, have some courtesy,
aka I-zheet M'drurz [ have some sympathy, and some taste.
Accept no substitutes! [ Use all your well-learned politesse,
$1 to Mick for the .sig ---[ or I'll lay your soul to waste.

Chris Malone

Hi Tom and guys

Thanks so much for your advice! I have it all working perfectly by
following your wiring instructions.

I am in Australia, most devices comply to the IEC wiring colours
brown, blue and green with yellow stripe. The house uses the old red,
black and green coding, which was in use here until at least 1969 from
what I understand.

Thanks again!

Cheers
Chris Malone