Dave

This sounds exactly right. However judging by the question, the original
poster would benefit from reading a basic wiring textbook before jumping in.
Don't forget to be sure the ground (PE) is also attached to the box in some
way.

Dave

"I-zheet M'drurz" wrote in message
Chris Malone wrote:

Hi

I purchased a Mistral 6300-0 exhaust fan/light to replace an
older version of the same unit in the bathroom. I'm not sure on
the wiring and was stupid enough not to note the existing setup,
which worked with the exact same make and model fan!!

The fan has four connections marked L, N, F, E (light, neutral,
fan, earth). The neutral is shared by both the light and fan.

hereafter known as (*F*ixture) FL, FN, FF, FE

A single switch was used to switch both the fan and light at the
same time.

The house wires comprise 3-core flex with an active, neutral and
earth

hereafter known as (*P*ower) PA, PN, PE

and a separate 2-core active and neutral. The separate
active/neutral is closed (ie shorted) when the switch is in the
on position otherwise an open circuit.

hereafter known as (*S*witch) SA and SN

I think the 3-core
active, neutral, earth has power at all times (I think).

THat sounds right.

Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

PE FE

PN FN

FL and FF SA

PA SN

In addition, "Switch Neutral" should be identified by a piece
of black electrical tape or a Black band applied with permanent
marker as a "Black" wire, it is interrupting the hot side of
the circuit which is all black wire. Never get the switch
involved with the White (neutral) side of a circuit. FYI:
the practice of marking the White wire as Black is both OK by
code and considered "good workmanship" by most folks.

--
The real Tom Pendergast [ So if you meet me, have some courtesy,
aka I-zheet M'drurz [ have some sympathy, and some taste.