Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Mc Ed Mc is offline

Default Exhaust fan question

wrote:
On Dec 31 2009, 12:47 pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
Ed Mc wrote:
I'm looking to get a new exhaust fan for a 65sq.ft bathroom. I'm
considering a specific fan but it comes with 2 exhaust ducts, 4"or6".
Is there a real difference? Doesn't the motor still draw the same
volume regardless?
Also, with soooo many 'clearing houses' on the Internet these days,
does anyone have experience with a good reputable site. The prices I'm
seeing can be $35 cheaper than Home Depot, Lowe's etc. Thanks.

The 6" can potentially move a hell of a lot more air. Check the cfm
ratings.

I don't know what you are looking at, but Panasonic fans are much quieter
than some of the cheap-o brands around.

The fans that are 6" usually can also be adapted to 4" and the
manufacturer's website should have specs that show how much air it
will move in either case. Then you can decide based on air flow as
well as any installation issues you have with 6 vs 4. I'm also with
Ed on making sound level a top priority. Given all the work
involved, I'd rather spend $75 more and get a nice quiet one instead
of saving a few bucks.

Thanks for the replies.... I was considering the Broan, or NuTone,
but looked at the Panasonic as suggested.I found a Panasonic Whisper
Quiet, rated at 0.8 sones,online. Pretty quiet compared to the rest.
It's a 110cfm, paid $108 free shipping. If anyone cares I'll give a
report when it arrives and I install it.