Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Painting laminate kitchen cabinets

I am going to be painting some laminate kitchen cabinets. They are in a
home that I own that I will be renting out.

My plan is to clean the cabinets, probably lightly sand the surface, then
prime with Zinsser B-I-N shellac-based primer. After that, paint with
either latex-based or oil-based paint.

The Zinsser B-I-N shellac-based primer says to not clean the cabinets with
TSP. One website I found suggested cleaning them with Xylol. Any
suggestions on what to use for the cleaning part?

I assume that oil-based paint would be better and would result in a harder
and more durable finish than latex-based paint. Is that correct?

Any other suggestions or thoughts on how to go about doing this?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jay-T wrote:
I am going to be painting some laminate kitchen cabinets. They are in a
home that I own that I will be renting out.

My plan is to clean the cabinets, probably lightly sand the surface, then
prime with Zinsser B-I-N shellac-based primer. After that, paint with
either latex-based or oil-based paint.

The Zinsser B-I-N shellac-based primer says to not clean the cabinets with
TSP. One website I found suggested cleaning them with Xylol. Any
suggestions on what to use for the cleaning part?

I assume that oil-based paint would be better and would result in a harder
and more durable finish than latex-based paint. Is that correct?

Any other suggestions or thoughts on how to go about doing this?

There is a lot of misinformation and assumption about both "TSP" and
anything Zinsser, assigning almost magical qualities. I think Zinsser
originally became popular for it's stain-blocking properties, but there
are other brands just as good. Since TSP no longer contains phosphates,
I'm puzzled that people are so devoted to using it. I would clean
laminate, first, with a good, all-purpose household cleaner. Rinse
well, dry. Wipe with denatured alcohol to get the last greasy residue.
Sand...the more tooth, the better. I used Zinsser water-based primer
on laminate cab. in our bath, followed by alkyd semi-gloss paint. We
are retired couple, so not much wear and tear, but it is fine after 4-5
years. No sign of poor adhesion of paint. I recall using some Zinsser
primer .. probably shellac base .. that was pretty thick and left brush
marks. If that occurs, let it CURE well and sand lightly. Follow label
instructions - usually there for good reason.

If there is any caked-on greasy crud on cabinets, use a razor-blade
scraper first.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Jay-T wrote:
[...]

Thanks. All good suggestions. I already bought a quart of the Zinsser
shellac-based primer yesterday and the instructions say it dries to the
touch in 15 minutes and can be recoated in 45 minutes. So, maybe the fast
dry times is what makes it get gunked up. Maybe I'll test it on something
else first.

I thought I had read somewhere a while back that TSP doesn't go well with
shellac for some reason -- I don't know why. Maybe that's why the
instructions say to not use TSP with it.

I'm glad to hear that your paint job from 4 or 5 years ago seems to have
held up okay. If mine holds up anywhere near that long, I'd be satisfied.
I've been tempted to replace all of the cabinets anyway, but they are all
made of very strong solid wood throughout and in good shape. I've been
overdoing the fixup of the rest of the house so I need to stop somewhere and
get it rented.

Do you happen to know why you chose alkyd paint or what it is about alkyd
paint that would make it a better choice? I'll probably do a Google search
on alkyd paint and see what it says it is used for etc.

Thanks again.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 25, 9:55*am, "Jay-T" wrote:
I am going to be painting some laminate kitchen cabinets. *They are in a
home that I own that I will be renting out.

My plan is to clean the cabinets, probably lightly sand the surface, then
prime with Zinsser B-I-N shellac-based primer. *After that, paint with
either latex-based or oil-based paint.

The Zinsser B-I-N shellac-based primer says to not clean the cabinets with
TSP. *One website I found suggested cleaning them with Xylol. *Any
suggestions on what to use for the cleaning part?

I assume that oil-based paint would be better and would result in a harder
and more durable finish than latex-based paint. *Is that correct?

Any other suggestions or thoughts on how to go about doing this?

Cabinets can he hard to paint and make it work because the grease from
hands gets imbedded in the finish. A plastic laminate? Plastics can be
hard to bond to even clean. I would go to a real paint store and talk
primers. XIM is plastic primer, I would probably after washing the
cabinets remove grease with Laquer thinner or similar. There could be
nothing worse than having a finished job where the paint comes off
with your fingernails around the knobs
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 25, 9:55*am, "Jay-T" wrote:
I am going to be painting some laminate kitchen cabinets. *They are in a
home that I own that I will be renting out.

My plan is to clean the cabinets, probably lightly sand the surface, then
prime with Zinsser B-I-N shellac-based primer. *After that, paint with
either latex-based or oil-based paint.

The Zinsser B-I-N shellac-based primer says to not clean the cabinets with
TSP. *One website I found suggested cleaning them with Xylol. *Any
suggestions on what to use for the cleaning part?

I assume that oil-based paint would be better and would result in a harder
and more durable finish than latex-based paint. *Is that correct?

Any other suggestions or thoughts on how to go about doing this?

I've gotten good results by just a light 600 grit sanding, really not
more than a minute of sanding per door. Then I clean the dust/grease
off with some naptha or mineral spirits. Then I paint with Rustoleaum
oil-based enamel and a mini foam roller (those new foam rollers that
look like a cigar tube). The trick is to get evrything painted
quickly so that any lapping is over really wet areas. If you let
anything dry, even for a minute, then lap over it you will cause a
mark. I use this method because there is nothing I hate doing worse
than spray painting, the foam rollers worked great with oil enamel.
Oil based enamel will bond to laminate well.

Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote in
:

On Dec 25, 9:55*am, "Jay-T" wrote:
[...]

I don't know about on plastic but that XIM stuff appears to be the bomb.
Appropriately pricey.

Some may recall but early last summer I had posted that I had to repaint
some metal garage doors that bake in the afternoon sun in the south.
Eventually went to Sherwin Williams and asked them about it. They gave me
XIM. TSP'd with scrub brush, primed and painted it with 100% acrylic
latex. Today it looks like the day it was painted with no signs of
fading, peeling, etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jon Danniken wrote:
wrote:
Since TSP no longer contains phosphates...

Nonsense! That's like saying H2O doesn't contain water.

http://www.amazon.com/Savogran-10621.../dp/B0001GOGQW

Jon

They also have "non phosphate TSP" ... must be what I last used.
Thought phosphates were banned in all of US. Who knew )
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 25, 7:01*pm, Red Green wrote:
ransley wrote :

On Dec 25, 9:55*am, "Jay-T" wrote:
[...]

fading, peeling, etc.- Hide quoted text -

For plastic XIM is the first product SW or anyone that knows products
would recommend, plastic is what the original XIM was made for, XIM is
pricey but even the cans show a maybe 6 month shelf life, they made a
product that works. A Laminate in a kitchen is a risky job as its
likely greasy plastic.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Just a follow-up.....

I bought some TSP at Home Depot and some ammonia at a supermarket (As
someone mentioned, Home Depot and Lowes don't sell ammonia -- duh).

My plan was to clean the cabinets first with TSP (which I never used before)
and then do a final cleaning with ammonia to get the TSP residue off before
painting with the shellac-based Zinsser B-I-N primer.

Well, after cleaning with the TSP, I couldn't believe how good the cabinets
look. They look so good that I don't even need to paint them, so I can skip
that altogether. The "before" cabinets were covered with grease and crud
and looked awful. But, the "after" cabinets look fine as is.

I had no idea that TSP would work so well. It just seemed to dissolve the
grease and crud like it was a perfect solvent for both. Amazing.

"Jay-T" wrote in message
I am going to be painting some laminate kitchen cabinets. They are in a
home that I own that I will be renting out.

My plan is to clean the cabinets, probably lightly sand the surface, then
prime with Zinsser B-I-N shellac-based primer. After that, paint with
either latex-based or oil-based paint.

The Zinsser B-I-N shellac-based primer says to not clean the cabinets with
TSP. One website I found suggested cleaning them with Xylol. Any
suggestions on what to use for the cleaning part?

I assume that oil-based paint would be better and would result in a harder
and more durable finish than latex-based paint. Is that correct?

Any other suggestions or thoughts on how to go about doing this?

Posted to alt.home.repair

You can still buy TSP? I haven't seen it in years.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

Yep, I got it at Home Depot in the paint department where they have all
kinds of solvents and cleaners.

The strange thing is that they sell all of that strong stuff, but they don't
sell ammonia -- even in their section for household cleaners -- but I can
buy ammonia in any supermarket. Yet, Home Depot sells Zinsser B-I-N which
is a shellac-based primer and which says on the label to use ammonia for
cleaning brushes and rollers after use.

"Jay-T" wrote in message
I am going to be painting some laminate kitchen cabinets. They are in a
home that I own that I will be renting out.

My plan is to clean the cabinets, probably lightly sand the surface,
then prime with Zinsser B-I-N shellac-based primer. After that, paint
with either latex-based or oil-based paint.

The Zinsser B-I-N shellac-based primer says to not clean the cabinets
with TSP. One website I found suggested cleaning them with Xylol. Any
suggestions on what to use for the cleaning part?

I assume that oil-based paint would be better and would result in a
harder and more durable finish than latex-based paint. Is that correct?

Any other suggestions or thoughts on how to go about doing this?

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jay-T" wrote in
:

"Jay-T" wrote in message
I am going to be painting some laminate kitchen cabinets. They are
in a home that I own that I will be renting out.

My plan is to clean the cabinets, probably lightly sand the
surface, then prime with Zinsser B-I-N shellac-based primer. After
that, paint with either latex-based or oil-based paint.

The Zinsser B-I-N shellac-based primer says to not clean the
cabinets with TSP. One website I found suggested cleaning them
with Xylol. Any suggestions on what to use for the cleaning part?

I assume that oil-based paint would be better and would result in a
harder and more durable finish than latex-based paint. Is that
correct?

Any other suggestions or thoughts on how to go about doing this?

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

I guess they don't wanna sell, or maybe store, ammonia and fertilizer in
the same place? Isn't that what's used to make an explosive? Could be way
off on that. Just a thought.