Posted to alt.home.repair
Jay-T[_3_] Jay-T[_3_] is offline

Default Painting laminate kitchen cabinets

wrote:
Jay-T wrote:
I am going to be painting some laminate kitchen cabinets. They are
in a home that I own that I will be renting out.

My plan is to clean the cabinets, probably lightly sand the surface,
then prime with Zinsser B-I-N shellac-based primer. After that,
paint with either latex-based or oil-based paint.

The Zinsser B-I-N shellac-based primer says to not clean the
cabinets with TSP. One website I found suggested cleaning them with
Xylol. Any suggestions on what to use for the cleaning part?

I assume that oil-based paint would be better and would result in a
harder and more durable finish than latex-based paint. Is that
correct? Any other suggestions or thoughts on how to go about doing this?

There is a lot of misinformation and assumption about both "TSP" and
anything Zinsser, assigning almost magical qualities. I think Zinsser
originally became popular for it's stain-blocking properties, but
there are other brands just as good. Since TSP no longer contains
phosphates, I'm puzzled that people are so devoted to using it. I
would clean laminate, first, with a good, all-purpose household
cleaner. Rinse well, dry. Wipe with denatured alcohol to get the
last greasy residue. Sand...the more tooth, the better. I used
Zinsser water-based primer on laminate cab. in our bath, followed by
alkyd semi-gloss paint. We are retired couple, so not much wear and
tear, but it is fine after 4-5 years. No sign of poor adhesion of
paint. I recall using some Zinsser primer .. probably shellac base
.. that was pretty thick and left brush marks. If that occurs, let
it CURE well and sand lightly. Follow label instructions - usually
there for good reason.
If there is any caked-on greasy crud on cabinets, use a razor-blade
scraper first.

Thanks. All good suggestions. I already bought a quart of the Zinsser
shellac-based primer yesterday and the instructions say it dries to the
touch in 15 minutes and can be recoated in 45 minutes. So, maybe the fast
dry times is what makes it get gunked up. Maybe I'll test it on something
else first.

I thought I had read somewhere a while back that TSP doesn't go well with
shellac for some reason -- I don't know why. Maybe that's why the
instructions say to not use TSP with it.

I'm glad to hear that your paint job from 4 or 5 years ago seems to have
held up okay. If mine holds up anywhere near that long, I'd be satisfied.
I've been tempted to replace all of the cabinets anyway, but they are all
made of very strong solid wood throughout and in good shape. I've been
overdoing the fixup of the rest of the house so I need to stop somewhere and
get it rented.

Do you happen to know why you chose alkyd paint or what it is about alkyd
paint that would make it a better choice? I'll probably do a Google search
on alkyd paint and see what it says it is used for etc.

Thanks again.