Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Painting laminate kitchen cabinets

On Dec 25, 9:55*am, "Jay-T" wrote:
I am going to be painting some laminate kitchen cabinets. *They are in a
home that I own that I will be renting out.

My plan is to clean the cabinets, probably lightly sand the surface, then
prime with Zinsser B-I-N shellac-based primer. *After that, paint with
either latex-based or oil-based paint.

The Zinsser B-I-N shellac-based primer says to not clean the cabinets with
TSP. *One website I found suggested cleaning them with Xylol. *Any
suggestions on what to use for the cleaning part?

I assume that oil-based paint would be better and would result in a harder
and more durable finish than latex-based paint. *Is that correct?

Any other suggestions or thoughts on how to go about doing this?

Cabinets can he hard to paint and make it work because the grease from
hands gets imbedded in the finish. A plastic laminate? Plastics can be
hard to bond to even clean. I would go to a real paint store and talk
primers. XIM is plastic primer, I would probably after washing the
cabinets remove grease with Laquer thinner or similar. There could be
nothing worse than having a finished job where the paint comes off
with your fingernails around the knobs