Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair

Default Estimated Running Time For Snow Blower

Assume 342 cc engine with 5 qt. fuel capacity. How many minutes
running time to exhaust the fuel?

Same question with 420 cc engine, 5 qt. capacity. Thanks, Jack
Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair

"Way Back Jack" stayin@home. wrote in message
Assume 342 cc engine with 5 qt. fuel capacity. How many minutes
running time to exhaust the fuel?

Same question with 420 cc engine, 5 qt. capacity. Thanks, Jack

Dude, fill it up, just carry a gas can with you -- and a watch.
Very difficult to predict something like that, even if it were just idling
the whole time.
--
EA

Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair

On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 18:21:29 GMT, stayin@home. (Way Back Jack) stayin@home wrote:
Assume 342 cc engine with 5 qt. fuel capacity. How many minutes
running time to exhaust the fuel?

Same question with 420 cc engine, 5 qt. capacity. Thanks, Jack

42
Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair

On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 18:21:29 GMT, stayin@home. (Way Back Jack) wrote:

Assume 342 cc engine with 5 qt. fuel capacity. How many minutes
running time to exhaust the fuel?

Same question with 420 cc engine, 5 qt. capacity. Thanks, Jack

If both are idling, the 420 will run out of gas first. Depending on
the snow they are moving, the 342 could run out first.

Is there some reason why it matters?

I switched engines on my 20-something yr old snowblower last winter.
Put a sweet 30 yr old 7 hp on instead of the 8hp it came with. the
gas tank on the 7hp is 1/2 the size of the other. I was sure it would
drive me nuts to have such a small tank-- but a winter and a half
later I'm still using the smaller tank. I fill it about 1/2way
through my driveway/paths.

In the big scheme of how much work there is to moving a few tons of
snow, filling the tank is a minor thing. Same for time taken to do
the job- 2 hours blowing snow- 5 minutes filling tank twice.

Jim
Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair

On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 14:18:24 -0500, Jim Elbrecht
wrote:

[...]

It's just that the driveway is over 600' long and on a very steep
hill. I don't want to make one pass and end up with an empty tank at
the bottom of the hill. Perhaps the thing to do is just go 50-100
ft., make four passes and then fill-up. Do it in 50-100 ft. chunks
before filling up each time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

How fast it consumes fuel depends to a large extent on the load.
These engines have governors and with a heavy load the throttle is
going to be open more than with a light load. It's like asking how
far a truck engine will go on a gallon of fuel without knowing whether
it has no cargo and is cruising at 55 on a flat highway or it's
struggling up a steep grade with a full load.

Why not just make a roundtrip down the 600 ft driveway and then check
how much fuel is left. That will give you an idea of when to check it
again.
Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Way Back Jack wrote:

It's just that the driveway is over 600' long and on a very steep
hill. I don't want to make one pass and end up with an empty tank at
the bottom of the hill. ...

So run a feed line down the hill from the bulk tank at the top w/ a
gravity-feed dispenser nozzle...

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

If you're running full throttle the whole time as you likely would on a
large driveway the tank will probably last 45 minutes or so. If the snow
is particularly heavy and the engine is working hard perhaps 30 min.

I'd guestimate that you'd probably do ok if you just top the tank off
after each round trip down the driveway and back which would probably be
near the 30 min mark.

The simple solution is to put a larger tank on it. You'll need to
fabricate some mounting brackets, but you shouldn't have any problem
putting a 2.5-5 gallon tank on it. You can find tanks at Northerntool
and others.
Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair

AZ Nomad wrote in
:

stayin@home wrote:
Assume 342 cc engine with 5 qt. fuel capacity. How many minutes
running time to exhaust the fuel?

Same question with 420 cc engine, 5 qt. capacity. Thanks, Jack

42

that must be right since 42 is the answer to the meaning of life, the
universe, and everything.
Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 18:21:29 GMT, stayin@home. (Way Back Jack) wrote:

Assume 342 cc engine with 5 qt. fuel capacity. How many minutes
running time to exhaust the fuel?

Same question with 420 cc engine, 5 qt. capacity. Thanks, Jack

-snip-

It's just that the driveway is over 600' long and on a very steep
hill. I don't want to make one pass and end up with an empty tank at
the bottom of the hill. Perhaps the thing to do is just go 50-100
ft., make four passes and then fill-up. Do it in 50-100 ft. chunks
before filling up each time.

Now that we know why- I'd say go with the bigger engine just because
it won't be working as hard as the smaller one. 600 feet is a long
driveway.

I'm just wild-ass-guessing here, but I suspect you can do several
passes in most storms on a tank of gas. Keep an eye on it in
different conditions and you'll likely be able to gas up every 3-4th
pass most of the time.

I'll bet a 6"snowfall at 10degrees will use 1/2 the gas that 6" at 32
degrees will use.

Worst case, I might consider adding some tank capacity-- walking 600'
uphill in a snowstorm isn't fun. [but at least there should be a path
by then.g]

For a shot at somebody knowing how long those two engines might run
try these guys-
http://www.opeonthenet.com/phpBB2/vi...d5af0cb5 f022
http://www.abbysguide.com/ope/discussions/

With that much driveway to keep clean you'll appreciate their
expertise at some point. Are you changing engines, or buying a new
machine?

If you're buying a new machine- you might want to throw your 'specs'
out there [how big and hilly your driveway is- is this your only
snowblower- where you live- what kind of physical shape you're in] and
see if those guys have some suggestions.

Jim

Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for sharing your knowledge and I'll check out the references
you cited.

This snow blowing will be a new experience. For 33 years, a farmer
with a huge John Deere has plowed the driveway but his prices have
zoomed up, e.g., $225 this past weekend although it was an 18"
snowfall. Total time expended was less than 10 minutes. Also, he
does increasingly sloppy work, e.g., clearing an 8' wide path this
weekend, only 4' of it was on the asphalt. The other 4' was on
dirt/grass.

I'm 65 but active and in good shape. E.g., it takes 5 hrs. to mow the
grass including an hour walking behind a self-propelled hand mower.

Thanks again,
Jack
Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair

stayin@home. (Way Back Jack) wrote in news:4b3275ef.25820156
@news.qis.net:

wrote:

[...]

Put a can of gas at the bottom?

Perhaps the thing to do is just go 50-100
ft., make four passes and then fill-up. Do it in 50-100 ft. chunks
before filling up each time.

Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair

On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 18:21:29 GMT, stayin@home. (Way Back Jack) wrote:

Assume 342 cc engine with 5 qt. fuel capacity. How many minutes
running time to exhaust the fuel?

Same question with 420 cc engine, 5 qt. capacity. Thanks, Jack

Depends on how hard the engine is running, and whether it is an older
L-head design or an OHV engine.
The 420, all else being equal (which is very seldom the case) should
burn about 23% more fuel and blow 23% more snow than the 342.
If the 420 is not blowing any more snow than the 342, and the 342 is
running at capacity, it COULD burn less fuel.because it would not be
working as hard
Posted to alt.home.repair

How'z about get a 1 gal gascan at the store, and wire it to
the handle of the snow blower? Should be enough fuel to get
you back to the garage after the engine tank runs out.

Like the old Volkswagens that had the secondary tank. You
ran the main tank out, turned the valve, and then looked for
a gas station, in a hurry.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Way Back Jack" stayin@home.
wrote in message ...

It's just that the driveway is over 600' long and on a very
steep
hill. I don't want to make one pass and end up with an
empty tank at
the bottom of the hill. Perhaps the thing to do is just go
50-100
ft., make four passes and then fill-up. Do it in 50-100 ft.
chunks
before filling up each time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm remembering a friend of mine who was mowing lawn on a
rider. Said the tank on the mower was enough to do the lawn.
Except for the one day when the grass was higher, and he had
to gear down a bit. Ran out of gas on the far end of the
lawn, and had to come walking back for the gascan. I figure
it's easier to have a one galon "get home" tank onboard.

They used to make in the tank gas gages. Bit of a float, on
a spiral metal that turned the gage. Wonder if those are
still sold. Then, the OP could watch his gas level as he was
working.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message

Why not just make a roundtrip down the 600 ft driveway and
then check
how much fuel is left. That will give you an idea of when
to check it
again.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hey, I didn't understand the question. And, what's that
dolphin doing at my front door, asking for a fish. No, wait.
He's thanking me for a fish? I'm totally confused. Now, I've
got to find my towel, and a pack of salted peanuts. That's
what the guy with two heads is telling me. Something about
Vogons.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"GoHabsGo" wrote in message
3.245...

Same question with 420 cc engine, 5 qt. capacity. Thanks,
Jack
42

that must be right since 42 is the answer to the meaning of
life, the
universe, and everything.

Posted to alt.home.repair

With those prices, you'll pay for your ride on snow blower
in a hurry. Might even get a riding mower with snow blower
atachment, and do both off the same machine. And the lack of
quality service is an issue.

I havn't worn a snowmobile suit ever, but I've heard they
are suitable for riding snow throwers, too. Help keep your
feet warm while you're working.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Way Back Jack" stayin@home.
wrote in message ...

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Might be able to put a 2 1/2 gal gascan under a recycle box,
turned upside down. Back from the road a ways. Won't attract
much attention. And if you knew the gas was there, it would
be comforting.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Red Green" wrote in message

It's just that the driveway is over 600' long and on a
very steep
hill. I don't want to make one pass and end up with an
empty tank at
the bottom of the hill.

Put a can of gas at the bottom?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
How'z about get a 1 gal gascan at the store, and wire it to
the handle of the snow blower? Should be enough fuel to get
you back to the garage after the engine tank runs out.

Like the old Volkswagens that had the secondary tank. You
ran the main tank out, turned the valve, and then looked for
a gas station, in a hurry.

If I remember right from my motorcycle days, there was reserve
fuel in the tank. You would flip the fuel valve 90° from the
normal ON position to gain access to the reserve fuel. I don't
know why lawn equipment manufacturers couldn't do the same thing.
Perhaps a modification is called for utilizing a valve from a
scooter?

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:

If I remember right from my motorcycle days, there was reserve
fuel in the tank. You would flip the fuel valve 90° from the
normal ON position to gain access to the reserve fuel. I don't
know why lawn equipment manufacturers couldn't do the same thing.
Perhaps a modification is called for utilizing a valve from a
scooter?

TDD

The answer is simple: $$$

I don't know of anyone taking a snowblower on cross country trips so I don't
see the big deal. Make a few passes, take a look in the tank and top it off
and you know pretty much all you'll ever need to know. Oh, look at your
watch too so you have a good time estimate.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:

If I remember right from my motorcycle days, there was reserve
fuel in the tank. You would flip the fuel valve 90° from the
normal ON position to gain access to the reserve fuel. I don't
know why lawn equipment manufacturers couldn't do the same thing.
Perhaps a modification is called for utilizing a valve from a
scooter?

TDD

The answer is simple: $$$

I don't know of anyone taking a snowblower on cross country trips so I don't
see the big deal. Make a few passes, take a look in the tank and top it off
and you know pretty much all you'll ever need to know. Oh, look at your
watch too so you have a good time estimate.

For a small piece of yard maintenance equipment there would be no need
for such a fuel valve, just push it back to the shed. A large riding
xxxxx is a different story. I would certainly not want to walk back to
the shed to get a gas can when I could flip a valve and drive the
machine back for refueling. The fuel you use to do a job one day may be
more or less depending on the height of the grass or the depth and pack
of the snow. I don't live in snowblower country but I can imagine what
a rump hurt it would be to fiddle with a fuel cap in the snow which
would probably be all over the machine. There are folks who have some
pretty big yards down South, I imagine there are some large yards up
there in snow country too. Heck, I'm lazy, I wanna ride back. *snicker*

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
With those prices, you'll pay for your ride on snow blower
in a hurry. Might even get a riding mower with snow blower
atachment, and do both off the same machine. And the lack of
quality service is an issue.

Check out the prices of these things:
http://tinyurl.com/yaw3pcn
New ones are well over $200K from what I've been hearing.

Granted, the farmer is just making extra money with his.
Posted to alt.home.repair

That's a good idea. The OP didn't say if it was a walking or
riding snow blower. Still, a gas gage or reserve tank is in
order.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"The Daring Dufas" wrote
in message ...

If I remember right from my motorcycle days, there was
reserve
fuel in the tank. You would flip the fuel valve 90° from the
normal ON position to gain access to the reserve fuel. I
don't
know why lawn equipment manufacturers couldn't do the same
thing.
Perhaps a modification is called for utilizing a valve from
scooter?

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
That's a good idea. The OP didn't say if it was a walking or
riding snow blower. Still, a gas gage or reserve tank is in
order.

An example here of motorcycle fuel tank valve:
http://tinyurl.com/ydfu2uf

My current motorcycle doesn't have a valve like this. It has a
fuel gauge instead.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Use electric, no limit. :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

My electric has about 50 foot limit. The OP driveway is 600
feet, downhill. Lets see, that's 12 extension cords. Sounds
like a lot of bother. Oh, darn. The exension cord lost
power. How to find where the problem is?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
Use electric, no limit. :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 24 Dec 2009 10:19:10 -0500, wrote:

Use electric, no limit. :-)

Yea, on a 600 foot driveway.
Not.
Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair

In ,
Way Back Jack stayin@home. typed:
Assume 342 cc engine with 5 qt. fuel capacity. How many minutes
running time to exhaust the fuel?

Same question with 420 cc engine, 5 qt. capacity. Thanks, Jack

The design spec for most homeowner equipment is 1 hour run time at full
throttle. Then you have to interpolate from there.
I think only the mfr could give you decent answers to this. You haven't
indicated at what %throttle you want to run them, cold/hot area, loading,
etc. etc. etc.. There are many variables and results can vary widly so there
is no specific answer to your question. On top of that each piece of
equipment can have different run times depending on a host of other things
too.

Twayne
--
We've already reached
tomorrow's yesterday

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Jim is offline

On Thu, 24 Dec 2009 05:38:13 -0500, Stormin Mormon wrote:

How'z about get a 1 gal gascan at the store, and wire it to the handle
of the snow blower? Should be enough fuel to get you back to the garage
after the engine tank runs out.

Like the old Volkswagens that had the secondary tank. You ran the main
tank out, turned the valve, and then looked for a gas station, in a
hurry.

My father had a '57 VW Beetle so equipped. Never ran out of gas as he
knew to stop in the very first gas station after turning the valve!

Ariens Snow Blower hobbyfarm Home Repair 2 January 21st 09 01:48 PM
Leaf Blower as Snow Blower [email protected] Home Ownership 6 January 8th 08 01:42 AM
snow blower repair bob Home Repair 4 February 15th 07 04:14 PM
Looking for a good snow blower... dean Home Repair 4 December 5th 05 05:53 PM
Help with snow blower J Home Repair 2 January 6th 04 01:50 AM