Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default Estimated Running Time For Snow Blower

stayin@home. (Way Back Jack) wrote in news:4b3275ef.25820156
@news.qis.net:

On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 14:18:24 -0500, Jim Elbrecht
wrote:

On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 18:21:29 GMT, stayin@home. (Way Back Jack) wrote:

Assume 342 cc engine with 5 qt. fuel capacity. How many minutes
running time to exhaust the fuel?

Same question with 420 cc engine, 5 qt. capacity. Thanks, Jack

If both are idling, the 420 will run out of gas first. Depending on
the snow they are moving, the 342 could run out first.

Is there some reason why it matters?

I switched engines on my 20-something yr old snowblower last winter.
Put a sweet 30 yr old 7 hp on instead of the 8hp it came with. the
gas tank on the 7hp is 1/2 the size of the other. I was sure it would
drive me nuts to have such a small tank-- but a winter and a half
later I'm still using the smaller tank. I fill it about 1/2way
through my driveway/paths.

In the big scheme of how much work there is to moving a few tons of
snow, filling the tank is a minor thing. Same for time taken to do
the job- 2 hours blowing snow- 5 minutes filling tank twice.

Jim

It's just that the driveway is over 600' long and on a very steep
hill. I don't want to make one pass and end up with an empty tank at
the bottom of the hill.

Put a can of gas at the bottom?

Perhaps the thing to do is just go 50-100
ft., make four passes and then fill-up. Do it in 50-100 ft. chunks
before filling up each time.