Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair
Way Back Jack[_2_] Way Back Jack[_2_] is offline

Default Estimated Running Time For Snow Blower

On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 15:50:24 -0500, Jim Elbrecht
wrote:

stayin@home. (Way Back Jack) wrote:

On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 14:18:24 -0500, Jim Elbrecht
wrote:

On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 18:21:29 GMT, stayin@home. (Way Back Jack) wrote:

Assume 342 cc engine with 5 qt. fuel capacity. How many minutes
running time to exhaust the fuel?

Same question with 420 cc engine, 5 qt. capacity. Thanks, Jack

-snip-

It's just that the driveway is over 600' long and on a very steep
hill. I don't want to make one pass and end up with an empty tank at
the bottom of the hill. Perhaps the thing to do is just go 50-100
ft., make four passes and then fill-up. Do it in 50-100 ft. chunks
before filling up each time.

Now that we know why- I'd say go with the bigger engine just because
it won't be working as hard as the smaller one. 600 feet is a long
driveway.

I'm just wild-ass-guessing here, but I suspect you can do several
passes in most storms on a tank of gas. Keep an eye on it in
different conditions and you'll likely be able to gas up every 3-4th
pass most of the time.

I'll bet a 6"snowfall at 10degrees will use 1/2 the gas that 6" at 32
degrees will use.

Worst case, I might consider adding some tank capacity-- walking 600'
uphill in a snowstorm isn't fun. [but at least there should be a path
by then.g]

For a shot at somebody knowing how long those two engines might run
try these guys-
http://www.opeonthenet.com/phpBB2/vi...d5af0cb5 f022
http://www.abbysguide.com/ope/discussions/

With that much driveway to keep clean you'll appreciate their
expertise at some point. Are you changing engines, or buying a new
machine?

If you're buying a new machine- you might want to throw your 'specs'
out there [how big and hilly your driveway is- is this your only
snowblower- where you live- what kind of physical shape you're in] and
see if those guys have some suggestions.

Jim

Thanks for sharing your knowledge and I'll check out the references
you cited.

This snow blowing will be a new experience. For 33 years, a farmer
with a huge John Deere has plowed the driveway but his prices have
zoomed up, e.g., $225 this past weekend although it was an 18"
snowfall. Total time expended was less than 10 minutes. Also, he
does increasingly sloppy work, e.g., clearing an 8' wide path this
weekend, only 4' of it was on the asphalt. The other 4' was on
dirt/grass.

I'm 65 but active and in good shape. E.g., it takes 5 hrs. to mow the
grass including an hour walking behind a self-propelled hand mower.

Thanks again,
Jack