Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Best way to clean a diesel engine oil leak on an aggregate driveway.

Please help! My diesel truck leaked oil on the driveway of my new
house. The driveway has stones mixed in with concrete on the surface
and it's been sealed.

I took some paper towels right away to it to blot out the leak, but
the discoloration is still there. I'm told I can hire someone to try
to get that out, but I thought I'd try to clean it myself first.

Can someone please recommend some cleaning solutions I can try on it?
I've been told Spray Nine and even some brake cleaner with newspaper.
Is there a surefire method of getting something like out on a driveway
like this? TIA!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 19 Dec 2009 22:24:29 -0600, "DanG" wrote:

Dry Portland cement. Cover the area when you know it will be dry.
Sweep it up the next day and reapply. A day or two should have it
all absorbed.

Wow, thanks so much for your quick reply. But sorry for seeming so
ignorant, but is this cement manufactured by a company called Portland
or is this a type of cement people referred to as? Thanks again.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 19 Dec 2009 15:32:17 -0700, Driveway Woes wrote:

On Sat, 19 Dec 2009 22:24:29 -0600, "DanG" wrote:

Dry Portland cement. Cover the area when you know it will be dry.
Sweep it up the next day and reapply. A day or two should have it
all absorbed.

Wow, thanks so much for your quick reply. But sorry for seeming so
ignorant, but is this cement manufactured by a company called Portland
or is this a type of cement people referred to as? Thanks again.

DOH. A quick wiki gave me the answer. Thanks again for suck a quick
reply and will try to pick some up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Driveway Woes wrote:
Please help! My diesel truck leaked oil on the driveway of my new
house. The driveway has stones mixed in with concrete on the surface
and it's been sealed.

I took some paper towels right away to it to blot out the leak, but
the discoloration is still there. I'm told I can hire someone to try
to get that out, but I thought I'd try to clean it myself first.

Can someone please recommend some cleaning solutions I can try on it?
I've been told Spray Nine and even some brake cleaner with newspaper.
Is there a surefire method of getting something like out on a driveway
like this? TIA!

I've used a dried clay granule product known as "oil dry" it's about
the same thing as kitty litter and I've used them interchangeably.
You cover the area with a layer of the stuff and you can grind it in
with your foot or stiff bristle push broom, let it sit overnight,
sweep or vacuum it up and reapply until the oil is soaked up. It works
best when kept dry and the driveway is dry, it's very absorbent and
can be used for all sorts of spills, especially if some sort of
petroleum product is involved. Some folks even leave a layer under
their car in their garage.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 20 Dec 2009 09:50:23 +1000, Soundhaspriority
wrote:

"Driveway Woes" wrote in message
I took some paper towels right away to it to blot out the leak, but
the discoloration is still there. I'm told I can hire someone to try
to get that out, but I thought I'd try to clean it myself first.

Can someone please recommend some cleaning solutions I can try on it?

I usually go over to Lowes and get a couple Mexicans to do it.

Bob Morein
(215) 646-4894

Well, ain't that about stupid?!

Cat litter, turn on Chubby Checker and do the Twist.

How much oil do you spill that needs "a couple" people for clean up
immediately..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 19, 2:10*pm, Driveway Woes wrote:
Please help! *My diesel truck leaked oil on the driveway of my new
house. *The driveway has stones mixed in with concrete on the surface
and it's been sealed.

I took some paper towels right away to it to blot out the leak, but
the discoloration is still there. *I'm told I can hire someone to try
to get that out, but I thought I'd try to clean it myself first.

Can someone please recommend some cleaning solutions I can try on it?
I've been told Spray Nine and even some brake cleaner with newspaper.
Is there a surefire method of getting something like out on a driveway
like this? *TIA!

Powdered laundry detergent like Tide....work about 1/2 with a minimal
amount of water into a soupy paste on the strain with a stiff push
broom.
Work the stain well, the paste will turn brown / gray and hose off.
Repeat a couple times should take nearly all of the stain away.

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 19 Dec 2009 17:14:50 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

Driveway Woes wrote:
[...]

Doesn't work real well on exposed aggregate concrete though because of
the texture. I'd use it first to get what you can, then use the
laundry detergent paste or TSP.
A bit of triclorethelene and sawdust works pretty good too, but would
likely take the sealer off with it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 19 Dec 2009 22:24:29 -0600, "DanG" wrote:

Dry Portland cement. Cover the area when you know it will be dry.
Sweep it up the next day and reapply. A day or two should have it
all absorbed.

Again, yes, it works - but on a sealed exposed agregate driveway it
definitely would not be my first choice. Get it wet and you need a
chisel to remove it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Google for Portland cement. Historical reference is NOT in
Oregon. It is in Great Britain and is noted as source for a gray
building stone.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

wrote:

Dry Portland cement. Cover the area when you know it will be
dry.
Sweep it up the next day and reapply. A day or two should have
it
all absorbed.

Wow, thanks so much for your quick reply. But sorry for seeming
so
ignorant, but is this cement manufactured by a company called
Portland
or is this a type of cement people referred to as? Thanks
again.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Driveway Woes wrote:
Please help! My diesel truck leaked oil on the driveway of my new
house. The driveway has stones mixed in with concrete on the surface
and it's been sealed.

I took some paper towels right away to it to blot out the leak, but
the discoloration is still there. I'm told I can hire someone to try
to get that out, but I thought I'd try to clean it myself first.

Can someone please recommend some cleaning solutions I can try on it?
I've been told Spray Nine and even some brake cleaner with newspaper.
Is there a surefire method of getting something like out on a driveway
like this? TIA!

Would you believe I used some steel filings from a machine shop to
purposely stain some concrete? I hate bright new concrete.